Yellow Tang Dead After 7 Hours?

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I purchased a Biota Yellow Tang from a LFS and within 7 hours the fish was dead. It was in a tank at the LFS with several other yellow tangs and a few other smaller fish. I brought the fish home; drip acclimated for 30 minutes, and it went into my acclimation box so my residents can get used to their new addition. None of my fish were phased that it was there, and I fed the tank per usual in the evening and they all ate, including the yellow tang. Come 10PM before lights out, I noticed the yellow tang literally doing somersaults in the acclimation box and swimming upside down. 30 minutes later, dead.

I reached out to the LFS it was purchased from and they offered me 50% off my next fish. I understand there is no guarantee on livestock, but not even 24 hours in the tank and the fish was dead. I am not looking to add another fish at this time as this was going to be my last addition. Is this standard that even with so little time, the LFS will not do any type of refund?

*All other fish in the tank are happy, no diseases, weekly water changes, weekly water testing as well.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry that happened. That is not standard in my experience, all of my LFS offer at least 24 hours alive guarantee with full refund to store credit, one LFS near me offers 3 days alive. Consider ordering direct from Biota next time, they offer 7 day alive guarantee. Use code REEFSTACHE for 10% off, if you wish. I have one from Biota direct, myself.

1710781749484.png

OP
OP
jgabbsxx

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry that happened. That is not standard in my experience, all of my LFS offer at least 24 hours alive guarantee with full refund to store credit, one LFS near me offers 3 days alive. Consider ordering direct from Biota next time, they offer 7 day alive guarantee. Use code REEFSTACHE for 10% off, if you wish. I have one from Biota direct, myself.

1710781749484.png
I should have just purchased from biota directly and I am fully regretting not doing so. If I plan to get another, I will use your code! :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I purchased a Biota Yellow Tang from a LFS and within 7 hours the fish was dead. It was in a tank at the LFS with several other yellow tangs and a few other smaller fish. I brought the fish home; drip acclimated for 30 minutes, and it went into my acclimation box so my residents can get used to their new addition. None of my fish were phased that it was there, and I fed the tank per usual in the evening and they all ate, including the yellow tang. Come 10PM before lights out, I noticed the yellow tang literally doing somersaults in the acclimation box and swimming upside down. 30 minutes later, dead.

I reached out to the LFS it was purchased from and they offered me 50% off my next fish. I understand there is no guarantee on livestock, but not even 24 hours in the tank and the fish was dead. I am not looking to add another fish at this time as this was going to be my last addition. Is this standard that even with so little time, the LFS will not do any type of refund?

*All other fish in the tank are happy, no diseases, weekly water changes, weekly water testing as well.
It could’ve been something that startled him and he jumped to then get a spinal injury or similar physical injury causing the weird swimming.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I need to visit you to buy my fish, lol
I have to say I love your user name lol. My wife and family thinks I’m a dork as I walk around sometimes saying “It’s my birthday, nobody caaarres!”

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely your fish died due to no fault of the LFS. They offer you 50% discount on your next purchase meaning they likely not getting any profit from that fish.
LFS need to make a living too. It is too bad that your fish died but to ask the LFS to pay for your bad luck (or something that happened in your tank) and complaint when they offer you the next fish at cost, as if it is their fault, is not right IMHO.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back