Accidentally dosed 50ml of cal

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't believe I did it. I thought I picked up the magnesium jug. Worst part is I only had 4 gals of saltwater on hand. I always have 10+ gallons on hand but I filled up the deskmate last night and crashed out.
How soon will 10gal of TM Pro Reef mix up?
How bad was my mess up and is there anything I can do while I wait for salt to mix.
55gal system
Alk-9.3
Cal. Was 423 about to do a test
Mag 1380

fishdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank?
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. As long as it’s over 20 gallons. That’s not really a issue at all to worry about best of luck to you and happy Thanksgiving.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How big is the tank?
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. As long as it’s over 20 gallons. That’s not really a issue at all to worry about best of luck to you and happy Thanksgiving.
Thank you. It's 55 gal with sump. It's under 2 years and I've been going slow. I only dose 17ml of alk and cal each day.
First trident results after the big dose was
Alk 9.16
Cal 430
Mag 1392
Happy Thanksgiving to you too

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be good. Get a good night's rest and test tomorrow and see where you are. Calcium doesn't swing as drastically as alk and swings are not as critical as alk swings can be. From most of what I have read levels as high as 500 are not an issue. Mine are are currently 480 in 2 of my tanks and nothing seems to mind.

EDIT : your mag doesn't really look low.

vancouverredsea350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My doser dosed 1500ml of all for reef into my tank one night last month, usual dosage is 20ml daily. CA wouldn’t even register on my salifert test kit. I did 30% water changes daily over the course of 1 week and everything was back to normal and I didn’t lose anything. Although I haven’t seen my sea hare since… but corals and fish were fine.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should be good. Get a good night's rest and test tomorrow and see where you are. Calcium doesn't swing as drastically as alk and swings are not as critical as alk swings can be. From most of what I have read levels as high as 500 are not an issue. Mine are are currently 480 in 2 of my tanks and nothing seems to mind.
Awesome. Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming this is my diy recipe 1 (like BRS sells) then you only added 10 ppm of calcium. You could have added ten times that amount and calcium would still be fine.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Assuming this is my diy recipe 1 (like BRS sells) then you only added 10 ppm of calcium. You could have added ten times that amount and calcium would still be fine.
Thank you Randy Homes-Farley. You-Da-Man!
HaPpY ThAnKsGiViNg!!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back