Acclimating Anemones

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a search and found a few mentioning drip, giving it a good rinse with tank water etc. When I bought my first ever nem my LFS guy put it in a bag with no water, and told me that is how they ship as if it had water in it, the anemone would die due to poisoning his water etc... Then he told me to only temperature acclimate him, and just put him in the tank.

The nem was fine in my tank, was eating, healthy looking but roaming. One day it got killed by my MP10 (which now I shouldn't be a problem as I bought the foam MP10 sleeves).

After checking my parameters and a few weeks I have found a nice small red bubble tip anemone and wanted to get the advise of you experts as what the proper process is in initial acclimation. Should I turn my lights off the first day? then drop them down to 50% the next day? (Radion lights) Any info would be appreciated as we probably should have a sticky on acclimating this expensive little creatures. :neutral:

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always do a 20 minute temp acclimation then a 1.5 hr drip acclimation. never had any losses with that method. as for the lighting i always did the screen over the tank method

best of luck

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my nem, I temp acclimated, then drip acclimated. The best thing is when you finally take it out, shake it to get out as much water as possible.

Then put it near a little cave/crevice so it can attach itself. I had my lights at around 50% the first day, then bumped them up the next. My nem has been perfectly healthy ever since.

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got in the hobby I would just do a half an hour temp acclimation. I would say I had about a 50% success rate. Sense I started my nem tank I've started acclimating properly. I'll do a 30 min bag float. Then take the specimen out of the bag and place it in a little tupperware dish with just enough water from the bag to keep the nem wet. Then I'll place the dish on my center brace. (When I built my retune I had acclimation in thought, so right befor the lock line I put a T that had a 1/4 tube adapter with a ball valve). Then take that 1/4 tube and place it into the dish and put a slow drip to the specimen. Usually 1 drip per second. This is to acclimate the nem to pH. pH is the most important acclimation with nems.

OP
OP
Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got in the hobby I would just do a half an hour temp acclimation. I would say I had about a 50% success rate. Sense I started my nem tank I've started acclimating properly. I'll do a 30 min bag float. Then take the specimen out of the bag and place it in a little tupperware dish with just enough water from the bag to keep the nem wet. Then I'll place the dish on my center brace. (When I built my retune I had acclimation in thought, so right befor the lock line I put a T that had a 1/4 tube adapter with a ball valve). Then take that 1/4 tube and place it into the dish and put a slow drip to the specimen. Usually 1 drip per second. This is to acclimate the nem to pH. pH is the most important acclimation with nems.
Great info keep it coming! Ill try the taping a picture in the glass this time also.

OP
OP
Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys/gals thanks so much for your help with this topic. I picked up my pretty little 3" rose bubble tip anemone (my first ever rose, and second ever anemone). Im very excited about it, and I did what was the consensus which is:

1. 20 min bag float (temp acclimation)
2. 45 min drip, 1 to 2 drops per sec (PH acclimation

Also I checked my parameters and all should be fine besides my PH which seems to always be around 8, never higher. My phosphates are .03, no nitrates and alk is at 8, calc at 400, water at 1.025... Wish me luck folks!

This picture is from the LFS.
2013-04-02 15.34.12.jpg

And these two is my bag float and my drip bucket.

2013-04-02 15.56.05.jpg
2013-04-02 16.15.46.jpg

OP
OP
Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my video, cant wait to get my Iphone5, my current camera phone is just not good enough...

[video=youtube;Y4Vh21Vz83c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Vh21Vz83c[/video]

OP
OP
Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok a little update and hope you guys can give me some advice, Rose bubble was placed near a small rock initially, it grabbed on to rock almost right away, and has moved only a few inches in the past two days to the shade. What I mean is, it still is on that rock but went under the shade of another rock... Obviously I am leaving it alone.

What has me concerned is that it strivels up quite a bit. first day it was mostly bubbly, second day when it was under the rock it was shriveled up a lot and it has not wandered yet.

Obviously this brings up my parameters. 1.025, phosphates .01, Nitrates 0, Calc 400, Alk 8, temp 77.4... Anyway, I am leaving it alone, im not feeding it, but this is only my second anemone that I have ever owned and getting a little concerned. Gonna do a 10 g water change today (93g cube with 30g sump/refugium). Is the water change a bad idea? any other ideas what could help it? My PH is 8.0 (salifert), I have an airline to the outside and try to open windows in the AM... Any advice? something I have not looked at or done? Also the mouth seems to be a little too open for my liking...

Last edited:

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any real advice other then let it ride it out. I've had a few roses that would do the same and look pretty crapy for a few weeks then one day they just open right up and look amazing. Also on the other hand I've had nems look great when I first get them and a few weeks later they parish.

One thing to check befor even buying any nem is to check the foot for any signs of damage. While it is in the bag I always check the foot for damage. Some LPS don't care about what happens to the animal after it is sold. I've had a shop close to me hire a kid that had no clue what he was doing when it came to marine animals. When he was bagging a nem for me he thought he had to get it off the little rock it was on. While he ripping it the rock he totally ripped the foot apart. I did watch him bag it and didn't check b 4 paying. I got it home and saw how bad the nem looked. I took it back a the owner told me there was nothing he could do I already payed and he doesn't do returns. Lets just say I haven't been back to that shop sense.

So always check the animal b 4 paying.

The best way to describe foot damage is it looks like tiny white curly spaghetti.

cet98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds to me like it's just acclimating itself to your system.
hiding is likely attributed to your lighting and the nem slowly adjusting to it.
IMO do NOT feed it. water changes are fine but be sure to maintain SG and Temp as not to make any sudden changes that may stress it out.
for now I would leave it alone BUT keep a close eye on it and see how it progresses over the next few days.

keep us posted and pix :)

FWIW, I would suggest finding a way to slowly increase your pH to 8.3 or there about if possible

OP
OP
Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the response, I feel better about the RBT today as it seems to be creeping out a bit more.

Here are two pictures

2013-04-04 13.35.08.jpg
2013-04-04 13.35.28.jpg

Nickel9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GBTA did the same thing. Bought it last week and within 18hrs in my tank moved underneath an overhang with very little light. Looks beautiful and healthy(what little of it is visible). I figure it'll move again when it needs more light... Until then I'm keeping a sharp eye on it.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Rossio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have a new one too!!! 30 mins- temperature acclimate and then little water every 10 minutes 5 or 6 times. I put it in a corner then moved like 5 inches, found a rock and has been there for a week. Sometimes it is totally opened but sometimes at night I think she relaxes or somethign; I'm showing you a pic.

111. anemone.jpg

111. anemone.jpg

cet98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the response, I feel better about the RBT today as it seems to be creeping out a bit more.

Here are two pictures

2013-04-04 13.35.08.jpg 2013-04-04 13.35.28.jpg
good to hear! :D
looks like a good looking specimen...with good water quality and lighting it should darken up in time to a rich looking red/rose...
congrats!!!

Rossio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your anemone???? I've noticed that sometimes mine during the day it closes... maybe the light? it is just for a couple of minutes I think, may be one hour... does yours do the same? :0)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back