Achilles Tang information

cbau45

I like to reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really anxious to keep an achilles tang in my next setup which will be a 150gal. I'm hoping that someone can provide me with a little bit of information about them which will help my success in keeping one. What is its primary diet naturally and what have any of you done to keep them and get them to eat successfully? Any information would be great. I'm just trying to do my homework ahead of time so that I can provide the best environment for him.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are really fragile. I hope that 150gal is long. As they need lots of swimming room and lots of water flow. I can't get that one i have to eat but nori sheets.

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig, not trying to step on your toes but I seriously don't think an Achilles is suited for a 150g tank. I have mine in a 225g and sometimes feel he's outgrowing it already. I have had it for approx. 6 months and it swims laps in my tank. Eats like a pig and needs lots of flow and open swimming space.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the tank size as they need a minimum of 6 feet when smaller, but they would be better off in an 8/8+ foot tank. They also love lots of flow and like to play in front of powerheads. They are also notorious for having ich often. My friend has kept one for a year and it has had ich on and off since getting it. She keeps him fat and happy with lots of Nori and Rods Food.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on how you have your tank setup. You can get away with having one in a smaller tank if there is a lot of open swimming area. Also like it was mentioned above, FLOW is a major factor. You must have a ton of flow for this tang. My achillies would not eat anything but nori for the first month. Its now on pellets.

OP
OP
cbau45

cbau45

I like to reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig, not trying to step on your toes but I seriously don't think an Achilles is suited for a 150g tank. I have mine in a 225g and sometimes feel he's outgrowing it already. I have had it for approx. 6 months and it swims laps in my tank. Eats like a pig and needs lots of flow and open swimming space.

No toes stepped on. I appreciate the input from all of you and these are good facts to know. I'm aware they are touchy fish and very ich prone. The tank is 48x30x24. I suppose i'll have to postpone my dream of owning one for now.:pudency:

Any recommendations for tangs I should keep in my 150? I do have a yellow tang already, just an FYI.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wanted an Achilles as well and have decided to find an Achilles/Gold Rim hybrid instead. They are still both still ich magnets, but they seem to be a bit smaller fish from what I have seen. Hopefully less ich than a full Achilles ... maybe, maybe not!

TROYREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a beautiful fish. One of my favorites. But a pain in the Butt to keep. It Can be done with proper care. but not worth the effort. and $$$ good luck

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea they come from high suge area's so like mentioned above need high flow with good oxygen content I have good succes with nori and mysiss as first foods but they will eventauly take most foods offered but the high O2 content is the key and plenty of swiming room.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back