2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2498.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG
IMG_2494.JPG
Coincidentally, I'm in the same boat. I've recently noticed these on my tank glass as well. Very small and a white to tan color. They look like yours alexjoha. They're not multiplying like mad as the red planaria did when I had them many years ago. I've blown off Corals with a turkey Baxter and don't seem to see them but like I said they are small. I siphon them off the tank glas when doing a WC. I won't do a sixline in my 60 cube and take the chance of aggression towards my flame and lineatus wrasses. The tank is bare bottom so can't use a substrate burying wrasse. I bought a Springeri Damsel as I've read they'll go after flatworms. It's a great addition to my reef. It isn't territorial like other damsels and is stunning in coloration with the blue and black mottling. I've not seen it pick at glass but I also am not in front of tank 24/7. I've seen it pick at aquascape but no idea what it's doing when it does. I'm wondering if I should add a second Damsel or due to smaller tank am I asking for trouble. I sold a frag of sps yesterday and I received a text that there were several fw in the container when he got home. Don't know if they were on plug or on the coral itself. He said a Bayer dip did them in. My corals look great. Thought about getting a blue velvet nudibranch but am apprehensive. Not sure if wrasses or dwarf angel will look at it as a snack or if my hermits and/or mithrax crabs will as well. Other concern with the nudibranch is the powerheads and overflow. I'm hoping to avoid chemical eradication. Here are a few pics. For reference the lid is from a small styro frag cup I use

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT for corals is never a bad thing to do.
IMO, now days as the hobby became a big trade with so many ppl swapping, fragging, shows, and even the LFS/vendors is that you need to QT your corals.
You can't just take the risk anymore and if you have a QT system who cares where your corals are coming from.
I have never lost a coral in my QT time but lost corals due to expose them to fish who nipped on them or stinging from other corals, and of course due to nature........... yes nature, sometimes a coral just dies no matter what you do.
Here a treat about QT systems for corals.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-me-your-coral-qt.271450/

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about corals? Do you trade them? i guess there will always be the chance that you will have something and thats why i would like to setup a QT for corals too now..
Hoped that a good dipping regime would hold but dosent look like that works with everything.. so QT for corals too now then.. :/
QT for corals IMO has faded in importance today. All the past experts have always recommended it.
FWIW my coral qt is my fish qt with sand rock and light. If I have to nuke it with a poison thats fine. Thats what its for.

I actually dip my corals first btw and keep them in the qt for trade. My qt was designed to be nuked. If I need copper Ill do it there or set up a hospital(in about 5 min)

IMO everybody has bugs, but in thier systems there has been a balance made. Introduction of a species either bug even a benign one like yours or helpful one or algal or dino can create a bloom as it throws the system out of balance. brown acoela are a good example. wort part of them is they smother the coral in large numbers.
pod blooms work in the exact same way, but everybody loves it when that happens.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2498.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG
IMG_2494.JPG
Coincidentally, I'm in the same boat. I've recently noticed these on my tank glass as well. Very small and a white to tan color. They look like yours alexjoha. They're not multiplying like mad as the red planaria did when I had them many years ago. I've blown off Corals with a turkey Baxter and don't seem to see them but like I said they are small. I siphon them off the tank glas when doing a WC. I won't do a sixline in my 60 cube and take the chance of aggression towards my flame and lineatus wrasses. The tank is bare bottom so can't use a substrate burying wrasse. I bought a Springeri Damsel as I've read they'll go after flatworms. It's a great addition to my reef. It isn't territorial like other damsels and is stunning in coloration with the blue and black mottling. I've not seen it pick at glass but I also am not in front of tank 24/7. I've seen it pick at aquascape but no idea what it's doing when it does. I'm wondering if I should add a second Damsel or due to smaller tank am I asking for trouble. I sold a frag of sps yesterday and I received a text that there were several fw in the container when he got home. Don't know if they were on plug or on the coral itself. He said a Bayer dip did them in. My corals look great. Thought about getting a blue velvet nudibranch but am apprehensive. Not sure if wrasses or dwarf angel will look at it as a snack or if my hermits and/or mithrax crabs will as well. Other concern with the nudibranch is the powerheads and overflow. I'm hoping to avoid chemical eradication. Here are a few pics. For reference the lid is from a small styro frag cup I use

Just add a fish who will go after them, wrasses, dragonets, even damsels (springerie)

OP
OP
alexjoha

alexjoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2498.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG
IMG_2494.JPG

They look like the once i have and the description of them sound like mine too. I tried to measure them with a caliper and they are about 0.56mm long and 0.24mm wide but i know you guys use inches and i dont know what it will convert into... :/ I didnt either know about mine until i sold a frag from my sump to a friend and he told me that he found 2 of them after dipping with seachem coral dip. They didnt die from the dip they just fell of the frag disk. He told me that his nano had alot of them but they dont go onto his corals he has alot for disc mushrooms in that one and he has never seen them on the mushrooms.. thats the only corals he has in that nano so its not acropora eating or lps eating once since then they wouldn't have food.

I dont personally like damsel and as in your case i dont want to add any more aggression to the tank. My tangs fight for dominance enough as it is..

OP
OP
alexjoha

alexjoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT for corals IMO has faded in importance today. All the past experts have always recommended it.
FWIW my coral qt is my fish qt with sand rock and light. If I have to nuke it with a poison thats fine. Thats what its for.

I actually dip my corals first btw and keep them in the qt for trade. My qt was designed to be nuked. If I need copper Ill do it there or set up a hospital(in about 5 min)

IMO everybody has bugs, but in thier systems there has been a balance made. Introduction of a species either bug even a benign one like yours or helpful one or algal or dino can create a bloom as it throws the system out of balance. brown acoela are a good example. wort part of them is they smother the coral in large numbers.
pod blooms work in the exact same way, but everybody loves it when that happens.

Guess i will order a QT tank for corals now then. I need to automate it with dosing and so forth since my work makes me to travel away for 3 weeks then off for 3 weeks. So it need to run by it self for 3 weeks with just a tank sitter that looks after it once a week. Guess ill go for a shallow tank then :) maby a 100cm x 50cm x 45cm hight :) I have 2 mp10qd new in box so that wont be a problem and maby ill get an outher apex for it.. :)

Do you have a picture of your QT setup? :)

Btw thx everybody for replaying and helping! :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess i will order a QT tank for corals now then. I need to automate it with dosing and so forth since my work makes me to travel away for 3 weeks then off for 3 weeks. So it need to run by it self for 3 weeks with just a tank sitter that looks after it once a week. Guess ill go for a shallow tank then :) maby a 100cm x 50cm x 45cm hight :) I have 2 mp10qd new in box so that wont be a problem and maby ill get an outher apex for it.. :)

Do you have a picture of your QT setup? :)

Btw thx everybody for replaying and helping! :)
depending on livestock you may not need dosing. Mine is very small and simple.used 14g bio cube bare bones, light & ato.
but to each their own.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add a fish who will go after them, wrasses, dragonets, even damsels (springerie)
Diesel, I have a Springeri in there already. Contemplating a second but hesitant to do that as I don't want to start a territorial thing with 2 damsels in a 24x24 cube. I have two fairy wrasses and tank is bare bottom so a coris, melanarus etc won't work as they need sand to bury in. I'm nervous about a sixline as they're punks and don't want to take a chance on aggression towards other wrasses. So my options predator wise is a second Damsel, a blue velvet nudibranch or if I find another fw eating fish which I'm not aware of. Dragonet wont work. I'm not sure of my pod population

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
They look like the once i have and the description of them sound like mine too. I tried to measure them with a caliper and they are about 0.56mm long and 0.24mm wide but i know you guys use inches and i dont know what it will convert into... :/ I didnt either know about mine until i sold a frag from my sump to a friend and he told me that he found 2 of them after dipping with seachem coral dip. They didnt die from the dip they just fell of the frag disk. He told me that his nano had alot of them but they dont go onto his corals he has alot for disc mushrooms in that one and he has never seen them on the mushrooms.. thats the only corals he has in that nano so its not acropora eating or lps eating once since then they wouldn't have food.

I dont personally like damsel and as in your case i dont want to add any more aggression to the tank. My tangs fight for dominance enough as it is..
The Damsel I have is beautiful and no aggression whatsoever

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diesel, I have a Springeri in there already. Contemplating a second but hesitant to do that as I don't want to start a territorial thing with 2 damsels in a 24x24 cube. I have two fairy wrasses and tank is bare bottom so a coris, melanarus etc won't work as they need sand to bury in. I'm nervous about a sixline as they're punks and don't want to take a chance on aggression towards other wrasses. So my options predator wise is a second Damsel, a blue velvet nudibranch or if I find another fw eating fish which I'm not aware of. Dragonet wont work. I'm not sure of my pod population

I have 8 springeri's in one frag tank wok no problem.
Tank is 60x24
Might bring 3 in my 60 cube.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to know how a Bayer dip would work on these guys. Any thoughts on trying that?

OP
OP
alexjoha

alexjoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's seems that u use and old flatworm exit.
F.W . exit should give u results in minutes .

I have 2 packs of flatworm exit at home with exp. date 09.2018 so they shouldent be old and the local shop ordered them especially for me.

OP
OP
alexjoha

alexjoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to know how a Bayer dip would work on these guys. Any thoughts on trying that?
I have heard that the dip should work good but i havent gotten hold of it were i live. :) But that dosent solve my problem but could prevent it spreading :)
I have just orderd 3 nudis :) 1 for the sump and 2 for the display :) and after that i will be looking for a wrasse :)

Stan-Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but i've got these little buggers in my tank was just wondering if anyone has had any luck.

thinking of adding a six line in to combat them. any other fish that would work ?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%

Back