Acrotrdco's Zero Edge Rimless PPG Starphire 65G

prox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot. I have been having this dilemma for a while and actually wanted to give up mazarra for other led. This thread prove i m wrong and should stick to it.

prox

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howard, first off you have a simply gorgeous display tank. Well done, indeed!! Attractive aquascape, coral colors are amazing and a nice clean look.

A couple of questions, what has your rate of growth been with these LED's? Did these grow out more under the older G2 units, or are you noticing better growth under the P series? Have any of your corals, whether SPS or LPS experience any color shift/ morph since the switch?

I am considering the P series LED's for my 60"x30"x25" (185gal), most of my corals currently are frags to mini colonies. I'm currently using an ATI PM 10x54 which I have managed to bleach some of my SPS's pretty badly. They're recovering but this will take time. I like the fact that with LED you can ramp and control so many aspects of your lighting rather than on or off.

Thank you for your time and once again, fantastic display!

Howard@Maxspect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill,

After switching to the P since last May/June, I've noticed a few things right from the beginning, the 410/420nm Super Actinic chip truly brought that special "pop" color out of my blue/purple colored SPS's (like the A.Nana you saw above), which is never seen before even under the 405nm violet chips. I think the 410/420nm actually got the right spectrum these corals needed.

In terms of growth rate they're about the same, but to give you an idea how fast they're growing, my 65 gallon tank is sucking approx 150ml of saturated sodium bicarbonate solution to maintain a dKH of 7-7.5!

Just one advice when you're switching over to LED, start with 60% intensity then slowly ramp it up to 100% over a period of 4-6 weeks so your corals could adapt to the changes. LED's could be really bright especially if your T5 could bleach out your SPS's, meaning they're well adapted to a relatively low light environment.

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the suggestions, Howard. Another question; what optics are you using in your fixtures and at what height do you have them mounted?

tropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
managed to view your tank over in youtube. amazing. what are the setpoints that you have and intensity? any 3part dosing?

Howard@Maxspect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My photo period starts in noon, slowing ramp up to 100% in 3:30pm, and stay there till 8:30pm (5 hrs), then slowly ramp down to a nice 16000K color (around white 50% blue 75%) temperature in 10pm, and turns off at 1am.

As for my tank, I dose the following:

Dosing pump - daily dosing (approximately)
Ca 95ml (CaCl2)
KH 90ml (baking soda)
Mg 12ml (warner marine)
Sr 4ml (Seachem)
K 10ml (Aquacraft K+)
Trace Element 4ml (Seachem)
KZ B-Balance 2ml

Manual dosing daily
KZ Sponge Power - 2 drops
KZ PIF - 1 drop
KZ ZEOBak - 2 drops

Optional, when needed:
KZ Xtra 1-2ml
Kent Tech-I (Iodine) 1ml

Optional, very sparsely:
KZ ZEOSpur2 4-8ml depends on coral color.

Coral feeding:
None - the bacteria from my biopellets are feeding them continuously already.

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW you dose a ton of stuff. Do you find everything besides the calcium, alk and mag necessary? What do you see the KZ products attributing to?

Howard@Maxspect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW you dose a ton of stuff. Do you find everything besides the calcium, alk and mag necessary? What do you see the KZ products attributing to?

I do measure my level of K / Sr regularly to make sure they're maintained at the same level in the ocean, other than that I don't (and there's no test kits) measure the rest.

I do know trace elements are constantly being skimmed out or absorbed by GAC so you'll need to dose a little every day, I've been doing that for years with great results.

Any update pic's to share?

I've been trying to take photos but couldn't find the time, I'll try to do it this weekend! :)

Howard@Maxspect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, it's been over 6 months since I made an update, just need to find the time to take some new photos of the tank one of the upcoming weekends. I've redone the aquarscape a little to mix and match the different colors, but other than that everything is doing great :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait for a new pic!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back