Activated carbon which do you use?

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys what carbon do you use? Why? What have you used in the past why have you made a change or why have you stuck it to what you've used forever! What changes in water clarity have you noticed if you've changed brands?
Just to let everyone know I use E.S.V and love it I just go through it fast because of my heavy stocking habits haha so I'm looking for something equal to quality but in larger quantity ! Thanks fellow reefers for your input!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the stores out here buys "scientific grade" stuff and repacks and sells it as their brand. That's what I use (mostly because ScubaJay bought a 50# box and we've a looong way to go before running out.)

Frankly I've never noticed the differences between the many varieties out there- but I run carbon as an add-on, not as a major piece of my filtration.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply has a nice selection and explanation of differences. I use the activated lignite carbon personally, but there is better stuff, it just costs more.

OP
OP
Reef UP

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I've used the cheaper stuff before esv and you could tell the difference

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of Bulk Reef Supply (BRS)...personally i use the Rox 0.8 Aquarium Carbon. It has been very good for me. I also get GFO from there too.

OP
OP
Reef UP

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use what ever is on sale for gac..... Gfo is the only thing I'm picky with I use rawaphos and rawaphos only!!!!

I've had the best results with that and only results I'd expect to see!

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used just about every carbon out there, and I have to say that surprisingly the best carbon usually depends on how and what you want to use it for. I currently just started ROX 0.8 from BRS. I like it because it's the best for use in my reactor. I used Black Diamond the longest, and it easily clumped up in a reactor. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent carbon, but for a reactor I'll take the ROX 0.8 for now. I may one day just get a monster load from the source, as it is a major piece of my filtration.

OP
OP
Reef UP

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used just about every carbon out there, and I have to say that surprisingly the best carbon usually depends on how and what you want to use it for. I currently just started ROX 0.8 from BRS. I like it because it's the best for use in my reactor. I used Black Diamond the longest, and it easily clumped up in a reactor. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent carbon, but for a reactor I'll take the ROX 0.8 for now. I may one day just get a monster load from the source, as it is a major piece of my filtration.

Have you ever used esv carbon just wondering if you could compare the two! I've been thinking about getting a 5gallon bucket of the rox .8 if it's as good!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I've used the cheaper stuff before esv and you could tell the difference

Can you expand on this? Just like, what differences you see and whatnot? I've always been curious between the different brands as I've never noticed much of a difference- if you have, I'd just like to know what actually is being affected.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used esv carbon just wondering if you could compare the two! I've been thinking about getting a 5gallon bucket of the rox .8 if it's as good!

ESV is probably the one carbon I have not tried. I think it was the price, at the time, that kind of steered me away from it. I use quite a bit of carbon.

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different brands don't mean different carbon. I bet a lot of it comes from the same source..

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could people explain their decisions?

I am using a small ammount of matrix carbon.

I run it in a reactor, and it obviously doesnt clump but rolls around in there. I like it because it doesnt produce much dust, and you dont feel as if you are washing half of it down the sink when you clean the new stuff.

It is pricey though.

Purigen I have used, and will start using again, and it is great stuff as well.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different brands don't mean different carbon. I bet a lot of it comes from the same source..

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

You'd be surprised at the number of sources out there. They can range anywhere from great to terrible quality. I've looked around and found most of the sources for what I suspect most brands out there... and there's definitely a difference.

Could people explain their decisions?

I am using a small ammount of matrix carbon.

I run it in a reactor, and it obviously doesnt clump but rolls around in there. I like it because it doesnt produce much dust, and you dont feel as if you are washing half of it down the sink when you clean the new stuff.

It is pricey though.

Purigen I have used, and will start using again, and it is great stuff as well.

ROX 0.8 surprised me in how little dust it produces. For now it's convinced me that it will remain in use unless something better shows up for my needs... and I don't see that anytime soon.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back