OP
OP
SASSYPANTS603

SASSYPANTS603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the rest of the tank. Sorry im kinda a Is adventurous and after watching it thrive and I feed it the same as I feed my feather dusters so who knows maybe I'll live maybe it won't either way it was gonna be eaten

Attachments

• 16414423630325016253321812213927.jpg
    16414423630325016253321812213927.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 25

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You will love this site!
Here it is
So my husband has his claming license. I just figured I'd try one in tank ill take a picture of the rest of them
16414419191035310511983412383292.jpg
Here is the rest of the tank. Sorry im kinda a Is adventurous and after watching it thrive and I feed it the same as I feed my feather dusters so who knows maybe I'll live maybe it won't either way it was gonna be eaten
Hmmm, it seems to be some non-photosynthetic clam (do you know which species?), unlike most clams offered in the trade. Generally, these feed off of phytoplankton, which tends to be scarce in reef tanks and needs to be regularly dosed for bivalves and similar filter feeders (speaking of which, what are you feeding your feather dusters?). Additionally, it seems to be a coldwater species (though perhaps its habitat range extends into the tropics), so it might not last under tropical temperatures. Finally, I would be wary of your starfish, since it might consume the clam.

Here is some more information on a similar non-photosynthetic bivalve which might come in handy: https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-invertebrates-green-lipped-mussels/

OP
OP
SASSYPANTS603

SASSYPANTS603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmmm, it seems to be some non-photosynthetic clam (do you know which species?), unlike most clams offered in the trade. Generally, these feed off of phytoplankton, which tends to be scarce in reef tanks and needs to be regularly dosed for bivalves and similar filter feeders (speaking of which, what are you feeding your feather dusters?). Additionally, it seems to be a coldwater species (though perhaps its habitat range extends into the tropics), so it might not last under tropical temperatures. Finally, I would be wary of your starfish, since it might consume the clam.

Here is some more information on a similar non-photosynthetic bivalve which might come in handy: https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-invertebrates-green-lipped-mussels/
Long neck clam

OP
OP
SASSYPANTS603

SASSYPANTS603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Long neck clam. I've been feeding a bottle plankton.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep an eye out for possible parasites/hitchhikers!

I just added a few cute lil babies to mine! Good luck

C78B731F-9560-4871-B80A-BD5707151746.jpeg
So just started my salt water tank.
My husband goes claming and I took one and added it into my tank. 3 days later its still alive and feeding... has anyone else done this? Thanks

Welcome! Glad you joined. Good luck with your clam.

Years ago I nearly had exploratory abdominal surgery, but my doctor asked, have you been out of the country, no I'd just been diving Florida rivers and Gulf Coast, some quary springs... He was also a diver, put me on some med that made me taste metal for a week or two ... but no surgery. Going further back in history... While drift diving down Crystal River, my friend's boyfriend showed me a clam... I used my dive knife to shuck, took out my regulator and ate under water... Afterwards I learned he only intended me to LOOK at the clam (not eat it). After the metal tasting meds cleared up chronic stomach pain, doctor said I likely picked up parasites from eating that clam... Moral - look twice and eat less... (giggle)

If you are into reef tropical clams check out Pacific East Aquaculture website! HOLY COW! I was there in November (visiting my mom back East) and they are wholesaler, importer, and mostly mail order (but offer 1 day week retail). Their clams were STUNNING! Blues so blue and so varied of blues I was in awe. Dr Mac first puts them under like 1000W metal halides, then steps them down and goes thru this whole elaborate process to get them acclimated to LEDs. The clams are grown by people he has taught in some country. Its all a pretty cool story and eventually video I took (including clams) will go up on my local TX hobby club's tiny YouTube channel.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my husband has his claming license. I just figured I'd try one in tank ill take a picture of the rest of them
16414419191035310511983412383292.jpg

I'm from back east and LOVE long neck clams - can't find those in Texas. I'm salivating... THAT is a good eating clam - YUMMY!!

You have a warm heart to give one a longer lease on life. Like starfish story and boy throwing one back... while boy can't save them all, it matters to that one... <hugs>

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back