Added my first two corals… utter chaos to say the least

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So super exciting day. After a year and a half I finally went to pick up my first two corals for the tank! I ended up picking up a single polyp Utter Chaos Zoa and an unknown favia. Any id help?
IMG_5047.jpeg
After a brief freshwater dip where there was more hitchhikers than I was hoping for, I added both frags to the tank and almost instantly my two peppermint shrimp began absolutely mauling both frags. I kind of freaked and scooped both frags out placing the favia in a net left sitting on the rim of the tank and out the Zoa in a cup with tank water. Quickly built a trap out of a Pepsi bottle, threw a scallop in it and placed it in the tank catching both the shrimp. Needles to say they are goners which is a bummer because I enjoyed them for few days they were in the tank. Hopefully the corals recover and survive, only time will tell. First hard reefing lessons learned
IMG_5049.jpeg
IMG_5047.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So super exciting day. After a year and a half I finally went to pick up my first two corals for the tank! I ended up picking up a single polyp Utter Chaos Zoa and an unknown favia. Any id help?
IMG_5047.jpeg
After a brief freshwater dip where there was more hitchhikers than I was hoping for, I added both frags to the tank and almost instantly my two peppermint shrimp began absolutely mauling both frags. I kind of freaked and scooped both frags out placing the favia in a net left sitting on the rim of the tank and out the Zoa in a cup with tank water. Quickly built a trap out of a Pepsi bottle, threw a scallop in it and placed it in the tank catching both the shrimp. Needles to say they are goners which is a bummer because I enjoyed them for few days they were in the tank. Hopefully the corals recover and survive, only time will tell. First hard reefing lessons learned
IMG_5049.jpeg
IMG_5047.jpeg
Looks like bowerbanki

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5047.jpeg
IMG_5049.jpeg
IMG_5047.jpeg
The shrimp won’t eat the corals. They were likely grabbing up all the hitchhikers you couldn’t see with the naked eye.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - that's pretty annoying.

To help you with identifying, is it possible to see the favia under blue light once it's fully open?
Sure. Lights will be off for the remainder of the night so will try for a picture tomorrow… if the coral survives its introduction to the tank

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp won’t eat the corals. They were likely grabbing up all the hitchhikers you couldn’t see with the naked eye.
Idk ime peppermint shrimp can sometimes really tear up LPS.
I’m obviously no expert but they were going pretty hard and the favia started to release a slime layer of sorts, once again no expert. Just hard to see two $7 shrimps going after a $40 frag and with a few quick searches on here there was enough people agreeing there peppermints were going after LPS…

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why freshwater dip? Never ever freshwater dip corals. Just use normal coral dip.

And why are the shrimp goners? You didn’t flush them did you?
Read through a handful of threads that said a 5 min freshwater dip could be used to rid corals/fish of external parasites… I have no coral dip but some is on its way. I mean isn’t dipping corals rough on them anyway?

Once I seen the shrimp activity I came here and ran a few quick searches on peppermints going after LPS. Seemed to be a good few number of post of people confirming they had issues with it and based off what I was seeing I wasn’t willing to leave the frags in there with the shrimp. No I did not flush them, they became food for some of my predatory fish.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through a handful of threads that said a 5 min freshwater dip could be used to rid corals/fish of external parasites… I have no coral dip but some is on its way. I mean isn’t dipping corals rough on them anyway?

Once I seen the shrimp activity I came here and ran a few quick searches on peppermints going after LPS. Seemed to be a good few number of post of people confirming they had issues with it and based off what I was seeing I wasn’t willing to leave the frags in there with the shrimp. No I did not flush them, they became food for some of my predatory fish.
That's some expensive snacks...

Usually you can give then to your LFS for store credit.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It works for fish for ich only I believe no other benefit whatsoever. In fact it can stress fish out.

EDIT. Just to be sure would welcome expert comment Im not an expert. #fishmedics is there any benefit to freshwater dip fish?

Corals hate any kind of change of parameters, freshwater dip means change of salinity, ph, alk, everything basically. It will kill some corals instantly. Pallys are almost bulletproof thankfully

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It works for fish for ich only I believe no other benefit whatsoever. In fact it can stress fish out.

Corals hate any kind of change of parameters, freshwater dip means change of salinity, ph, alk, everything basically. It will kill some corals instantly. Pallys are almost bulletproof thankfully

That is false. Hyposalinity addresses ich only and will offer temporary relief of brooklynella and flukes. FW dip for coral will present a huge risk and stress certain fish

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EDIT. Just to be sure would welcome expert comment Im not an expert. #fishmedics is there any benefit to freshwater dip fish?

That is false. Hyposalinity addresses ich only and will offer temporary relief of brooklynella and flukes. FW dip for coral will present a huge risk and stress certain fish
IMG_5050.png
Brs article from 01/02/2024. Not at all being argumentative towards either of you and I appreciate all the feedback. I’m new to the reef game but not at all to fish keeping and I know and have used MANY diy solutions for many different things in the aquarium hobby and as long as not taken to the extreme and while knocking on wood I will say I’ve been okay in doing so. However I do have coral dip on the way and also will admit I may have gotten a little too excited and moved too fast and will be watching these corals for a month or so and seeing how they do before adding any more. Thanks again for the feedback and please if you have anymore tips send them my way, or post in my build thread, I really want people to join in on there so I can ask questions and gain knowledge

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMG_5050.png
Brs article from 01/02/2024. Not at all being argumentative towards either of you and I appreciate all the feedback. I’m new to the reef game but not at all to fish keeping and I know and have used MANY diy solutions for many different things in the aquarium hobby and as long as not taken to the extreme and while knocking on wood I will say I’ve been okay in doing so. However I do have coral dip on the way and also will admit I may have gotten a little too excited and moved too fast and will be watching these corals for a month or so and seeing how they do before adding any more. Thanks again for the feedback and please if you have anymore tips send them my way, or post in my build thread, I really want people to join in on there so I can ask questions and gain knowledge
Notice, they stated - these are general guidelines and focus on the dips.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5047.jpeg
Dipsastraea sp.; not Favia

Looks like bowerbanki
Not Homophyllia bowerbanki; corallites not large and fleshy enough and flesh texture is not right

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back