Adding a sump to a red sea max nano (desktop peninsula)

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been running this red sea desktop peninsula for a while now on my own DIY stand to save money... And I've quickly discovered the shortcomings of the rear sump design (constantly changing water level...ect) and find myself wanting the flexibility of a sump...

So im looking at options of adding a small sump to this tank. I dont want to drill the tank, especially because its a running system. Im looking at adding an overflow box to the rear sump section. Has anyone done this before on this tank or similar? I dont really want to have the overflow box in the display... I would much rather have it in the back.

(Picture from when first setup)

45FB6552-149F-456F-8A2A-5D9AA0BF3351.jpeg

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd drill it. You can isolate the back to do it. But besides that, I'd consider an upgrade. I don't think you'll ever be happy with the back chamber and hob overflow. There's a hundred tanks a month people are getting rid of on Facebook marketplace and if you join a local reef group someone will help you drill it for a beer

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd drill it. You can isolate the back to do it. But besides that, I'd consider an upgrade. I don't think you'll ever be happy with the back chamber and hob overflow. There's a hundred tanks a month people are getting rid of on Facebook marketplace and if you join a local reef group someone will help you drill it for a beer
Ill consider the drilling...

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it's not tempered glass, you can look up how using your cellphone camera. Take the time to get comfortable and have something to prop your arm up at the right height, keeping the angle true will be the hardest part. Use zero pressure drilling, let it take an hour , keep it wet, drill a pilot hole in another piece of glass or acrylic to clamp to your tank at the right height. If you're buying a kit it should come with one. And have a backup plan already in place/mind in case something happens. Don't try to figure it out in the moment.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i dont think I'll bother with this seems too much effort and risk for a running tank. If it was not running yet maybe I'd look further... Good ideas though

Juanzingo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it with my previous Red sea nano and it worked very well, I know it was not necessary but I always liked to have a refugium on my tanks, I used an eshopps nano overflow and never had any issues.

I don't have a photo of the rear plumbing but I have these

Attachments

• IMG_5034.jpeg
    IMG_5034.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_7573.jpeg
    IMG_7573.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 365

fadijohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it with my previous Red sea nano and it worked very well, I know it was not necessary but I always liked to have a refugium on my tanks, I used an eshopps nano overflow and never had any issues.

That looks really nice... Was there some sort of kit you picked up or just a specific version of the eshopps nano overflow (I see a few options on BRS)? Also what sump is that under your cabinet? Any/all info would be great, because like you, I'm also looking to add a refugium on my max nano.

fadijohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, did you put the HOB overflow in the max nano "sump" chamber in the back? Or in the display part of the tank?

hrogi-salty-guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supper cool. I have been toying with the idea of a sump for my 10 gallon. I just like the idea of more water and filter options.

Could you add pictures of pluming. Or links to parts maybe. Even non exact

Juanzingo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to look for the photos of the plumbing, but the parts that I used were the following.

Fiji sump 15
simplicity skimmer 120
PF-Nano HOB Overflow
VarioS-2 Controllable DC Pump

a dc pump is very important to find the balance between the drain and the return line and also to keep the overflow quiet

hrogi-salty-guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to look for the photos of the plumbing, but the parts that I used were the following.

Fiji sump 15
simplicity skimmer 120
PF-Nano HOB Overflow

a dc pump is very important to find the balance between the drain and the return line and also to keep the overflow quiet
Thank you. This is the info that I wanted.

The DC pump does sound key and answered another question I had

fadijohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fiji sump 15
simplicity skimmer 120
PF-Nano HOB Overflow

thank you! how did you handle detritus buildup in the rear sump of the max nano? Powerhead keeping things stirred up or did you keep the filter sock on?

Juanzingo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! how did you handle detritus buildup in the rear sump of the max nano? Powerhead keeping things stirred up or did you keep the filter sock on?
Yes I used one Tunze turbelle Nanostream 6020 in the rear sump and yes I keep the the filter sock

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about this thread... so only just seen these pictures. this looks very interesting and its something im considering! did the overflow box go in the rear sump chamber or in the display? looks awsome

Last edited:

fadijohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about this thread... so only just seen these pictures. this looks very interesting and its something im considering! did the overflow box go in the rear sump chamber or in the display? looks awsome
@Juanzingo can confirm, but I believe the overflow box goes in the rear sump chamber and not in the display

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back