Adding coral/frags

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any skimmers that you recommend? And do you mean my mag float? I do not have an algae clip right now.
If you keep a lightly stocked tank (Max 2-3 fish), the biocube skimmer will do the job IMO. Because it's only 14 gallons, the most important thing is a weekly WC. Look on YouTube for "mods" people will do to their biocubes. There is some pretty neat stuff people will do to their filtration to make it better. Yeah, make sure you take the mag float out of the water after cleaning the glass. If you get green star polyps (gsp), put it on an island on your substrate. Some people will even put gsp on the back wall. They grow fast and will drown out any other corals you you'll get. Don't worry too much about the algea growth at the moment. Diatoms are part of the cycle. Just beware of bubble, dino, bryopsis, hair, cyano (technically bacteria), and other types of bad algea. Only reason to get them is if they are introduced by accident. I would stay clear from anemone and SPS coral for at least a good 6 months. They can be very delicate to changes in water parameters. You may even need to upgrade the lighting if you choose to go that route.

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually dont run skimmers on small tanks. Its easy enough to do water changes, which also prevent you from having to dose anything. Also, wait until you run a good salt mix for a while before worrying about skimmer or an air stone, and see what your ph is. Youll probably have to get salt mix anyways. Your sg might be a little high now, but what are you goingbto do when the next batch of the premixed water has a low sg? Thats the main problem with that stuff, itll be all over the place, and youll have no control over how they mix it.
You can try limiting the lighting now, but the algae youre going through is the norm for the age of the tank. It'll die down with maturity.

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the amonia and nitrates currently?

About 3.0 nitrate and 0 ammonia. And my pH is low. What should I do about the nitrate?

I plan to put the star polyps on the back of my tank.

Referring to the lighting, should I leave it off for a few days? It's hard to time it shorter because of my 10-12 hour work shifts. Maybe I will get a timer, I just might not be able to do the blue "moon" lights before and after... I really don't want to do too many mods on the top, I like the lid/look.

I think a skimmer is unneeded right now for what I have. I will invest in one down the road if needed.

As far as sps or lps, I think I would like the lps better.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3.0 nitrate and 0 ammonia. And my pH is low. What should I do about the nitrate?

I plan to put the star polyps on the back of my tank.

Referring to the lighting, should I leave it off for a few days? It's hard to time it shorter because of my 10-12 hour work shifts. Maybe I will get a timer, I just might not be able to do the blue "moon" lights before and after... I really don't want to do too many mods on the top, I like the lid/look.

I think a skimmer is unneeded right now for what I have. I will invest in one down the road if needed.

As far as sps or lps, I think I would like the lps better.
Don't do anything about the nitrates. 3 is fine. Great actually. Most corals will do better at 3 then zero. Once upon a time a lfs sold me (not knowing) everything under the sun "fixing" problems I never knew I had. Or didn't have. I'm not kidding I spent at one point about a thousand bucks catering to a $100 dollar coral by recomendation by the lfs. I still have that coral lol. Point is, if you are a gadget person and like to tinker that's fine. But you don't need any of it as long as you don't overstock or over feed.. Which is easy to do, trust me.

If your nitrates are settled you should add a fish a month. Do your water changes accordingly. Since your tank is small, and water changes could be larger, heat the water and bring the salinity up. Once the bacteria is settled for the fish load add some corals. You might be able to add Zoas or star polyps now. I'm not sure exactly where you are at but I'm convinced fresh water wouldn't kill star polyps.

How bad is the algae really? Is it just ugly or it it getting out of control? Ugly, especially if you started with dead rock is normal. A snail will do wonders for that. Cut the lights down if you want but maybe not needed. Set them to be on for when you are home. Fish don't know when it's actually day time. :)

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can see how invasive star polyps are, this rock started with some on it. Not only has it covered that rock but created its own bridge 4 inches away and still started growing on the other rocks. It's actually growing right over the Palythoa, which because of the polyps toxicity I didn't think was possible. Very pretty though, when extended.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do anything about the nitrates. 3 is fine. Great actually. Most corals will do better at 3 then zero. Once upon a time a lfs sold me (not knowing) everything under the sun "fixing" problems I never knew I had. Or didn't have. I'm not kidding I spent at one point about a thousand bucks catering to a $100 dollar coral by recomendation by the lfs. I still have that coral lol. Point is, if you are a gadget person and like to tinker that's fine. But you don't need any of it as long as you don't overstock or over feed.. Which is easy to do, trust me.

If your nitrates are settled you should add a fish a month. Do your water changes accordingly. Since your tank is small, and water changes could be larger, heat the water and bring the salinity up. Once the bacteria is settled for the fish load add some corals. You might be able to add Zoas or star polyps now. I'm not sure exactly where you are at but I'm convinced fresh water wouldn't kill star polyps.

How bad is the algae really? Is it just ugly or it it getting out of control? Ugly, especially if you started with dead rock is normal. A snail will do wonders for that. Cut the lights down if you want but maybe not needed. Set them to be on for when you are home. Fish don't know when it's actually day time. :)

I will post a picture in the am, it's my ugly phase, no doubt about it but i just come home and the tank is brown, so gross. But today I seen a bright green where my turbo has cleaned previously so I think as long as he continues to work on it, my tank will look great in a few weeks. I also hate to get another one because I don't want him to go hungry once the tank is cycled.

And as far as the nitrates my LFS said he will not sell me a coral until my nitrate is 0. (Not that he can deny me, but his suggestions mean a lot to me since his is also a close friend). I just hate asking him so many questions and I like different opinions on here so this place is my holy grail.

I think that star polyps will look great on the back of my tank, but I'm going to continue to look around and research which corals I would like. I would love love love an anemone eventually, and I really like zoas too especially the color variations.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not bad at all. It may get worse before it gets better. But it's fine. Your tank may never run zero no3. Unless you plan on having one or two fish only. Without a sump, skimmer, fuge.. Something significant to combat that small of a tank. But again, it's fine. My 75 runs 20ish nitrates. I could lower it, but there is no need. It runs better higher then it did at 5 or less, so I raised them intentionally. I don't add coral food of any kind. The corals use those nitrates for food.

My downstairs tank is currently going through the ugly phase as well. New set up, a few months old. It's worse by looks then what you have going on. See the same stuff on the rocks? I added two tangs a month ago at the same time. Nitrates are between 2 and 5. As you can see I'm going through all that with LPS and and 2 NPS in there. More frags on the back side.. Duel room display. It's all good. I have all the fancy reactors set up with he build, but they are unplugged currently until I feel they are needed. Maybe they won't be needed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170220_161727.jpg
I have a 29 BioCube and I've never ran a protein skimmer and my nitrates are at zero just keep up on water changes and you should be fine

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today my tank is looking a little red, could this be cyano bacteria??

IMG_3240.JPG
Possibly, but it looks a bit brown and dusty. Id suspect diatoms. Either way itll pass.
On the bright side it looks like your about the get good coralline in the new rock.
Hang in there!

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks quite a bit better from what I'm seeing. Has your nitrates dropped at all?

On that picture, I almost bought a pair of fire fish tonight. But it's already been an expensive week for saltwater at the house :oops:

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are still the same unfortunately, I am doing a water change tomorrow after light have been out for tonight and half the day tomorrow.

I like my firefish, sometimes wish I would have bought the pair, but I went with one. Didn't want to kill them both if something was to happen, and if I did I could go back and get the other to try again. What did you get?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are still the same unfortunately, I am doing a water change tomorrow after light have been out for tonight and half the day tomorrow.

I like my firefish, sometimes wish I would have bought the pair, but I went with one. Didn't want to kill them both if something was to happen, and if I did I could go back and get the other to try again. What did you get?
Im sure it will mature quick by the looks of your rocks. My green was pretty bad 2 weeks ago. Over the course of about two days it dropped drastically this week. My nitrates were 2 a week ago. Thursday they were zero, which I don't want. I'm finding corals do better with traceable amounts of nitrates and phosphate. Despite over feeding they dropped so... time to add more fish. :) I bought a pair of clowns and a nem last night. I couldn't ever get clowns to host in either of the other tanks, so I'm trying something new for a few days. Leaving them together floating in a strainer for a few days. Hoping they'll take.

Also I have a bunch of sps on their way from battle corals. Adam hooked me up with some really wild stuff I've never seen before. So I'm excited for Tuesday.

I'm thinking you can add a second fire fish after the fact but I'm not 100% sure on that.

IMG_5534.JPG

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure it will mature quick by the looks of your rocks. My green was pretty bad 2 weeks ago. Over the course of about two days it dropped drastically this week. My nitrates were 2 a week ago. Thursday they were zero, which I don't want. I'm finding corals do better with traceable amounts of nitrates and phosphate. Despite over feeding they dropped so... time to add more fish. :) I bought a pair of clowns and a nem last night. I couldn't ever get clowns to host in either of the other tanks, so I'm trying something new for a few days. Leaving them together floating in a strainer for a few days. Hoping they'll take.

Also I have a bunch of sps on their way from battle corals. Adam hooked me up with some really wild stuff I've never seen before. So I'm excited for Tuesday.

I'm thinking you can add a second fire fish after the fact but I'm not 100% sure on that.

IMG_5534.JPG

I have other fish that I would rather stick my tank with. The sad part about having a small tank is that my stock will be small ☹️ but I would like 2 clowns and a Boston bean box fish.

But that is a really good idea for your clowns! Let me know how that goes. And is a nem an anemone? Do you order from battle corals online? I am looking into doing a pack from wwc when I decide to get corals. I would get free shipping on orders over $200 and we all know that doesn't take long to add up, so worth it to me. My LFS did have much a variation that I liked. Only a red zoa that was super pretty, but small and expensive.

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey salty, do you think I need a power head in my tank? Wondering if I should order one.

Oh and an ato or protein skimmer?

If so which ato do you recommend for a 14 biocube?

Back