Adding kalkwasser to my 2 part

Heisenberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.
Ive used kalkwasser in my auto top offs in all my smaller mixed reefs and love it.

Currently i dose 2 part in my 220 gallon sps tank (established system but just started adding coral in the last few months)
I've got my alk stabilized at 27ml BRS soda ash per day
And my Calcium is stable at 54ml BRS Calcium per day.

I want to add kalkwasser to this system because I've always felt like things just seem happier when i used it, but I don't want to add it via auto topoff like my other systems.
I have a bunch of BRS 1.1ml dosers (they actually dose 1.8ml after calibrating them) and kasa wifi timers.

Would it be fine to use a BRS "1.8ml" doser to pull limewater from a 5 gallon container a few times throughout the day or night?

I don't chase PH personally, but should I wait to introduce kalkwasser until I get a PH probe?

Should I get a pump that dose larger/continuous doses or can I just start with this pump?

Is there a conversion I can use for my current 2 part dosing to figure out how much kalkwasser I need?

Thanks for taking the time to read and help me decide the path to choose on this!

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 2 part and kalk 24 times per day. Maybe 1/3 of my ato needs. Easy way to do it.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of doing something similar, does saturated kalk at night and 2 part during the day. My goal is to balance ph.
You could if you are worried about ph stability. I don't though.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this calculator to look at the soda ash vs kalk

Saturated limewater is around 125 dKh and Randy's recipe with soda ash is 5300 dKh so that would be about 1150 ml of saturated kalk to match the 27 ml of soda ash you currently are dosing assuming you are mixing to 5300dKh.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with that pump but it wasn't enough for my system of 220ish gallons. I stepped up to the 50ml minute pump on a digital timer and been running that for about a year. It took me a while to get the amount dialed in but now I'm dosing 7200ml a day over a 24 hour period. I don't monitor pH. When I have tested the tank getting kalk had the same pH as two other tanks that get 2 part.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't chase PH personally, but should I wait to introduce kalkwasser until I get a PH probe?

Should I get a pump that dose larger/continuous doses or can I just start with this pump?

Is there a conversion I can use for my current 2 part dosing to figure out how much kalkwasser I need?

I don't think you need a pH probe to dose if you base the amount dosed based on alkalinity.

The calculator linked above is the best way to make conversions. BRS soda ash recipe is my DIY #1.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back