Adding silica to all for reef

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime my DI resin gets close to being fully used up, I get more sponges. I had way more before I started to use DI resin (long story why I didn't). I was thinking of adding a little bit of silica to my dosing regime, but I was curious if I can add it to all for reef?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is pecipitation of magnesium hydroxide, from the high pH silicate bringing hydroxide and the magnesium in AFR.

Perhaps there's a happy medium where silicate and hydroxide can coexist (say, pH 8.5), but I wouldn't bet on it.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime my DI resin gets close to being fully used up, I get more sponges. I had way more before I started to use DI resin (long story why I didn't). I was thinking of adding a little bit of silica to my dosing regime, but I was curious if I can add it to all for reef?
You can always add it into your ATO

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is pecipitation of magnesium hydroxide, from the high pH silicate bringing hydroxide and the magnesium in AFR.

Perhaps there's a happy medium where silicate and hydroxide can coexist (say, pH 8.5), but I wouldn't bet on it.

Hmm okay I guess it would he easier separately. Maybe I could add it to an iron supplement? Might just add it to a little spare bottle with a dropper that I have

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that sodium silicate has very high pH. That's why it's not ideal to mix with other dosing chemcials.

I don't have a spare pump for it. So I just pour some into the sump every morning.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I love this forum, but posts like this leave me with more questions than answers. Great way to learn, but it takes work.)

Growth Hydroponics GIF by Dutchpro Nutrients
Life has so many mysteries.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm okay I guess it would he easier separately. Maybe I could add it to an iron supplement? Might just add it to a little spare bottle with a dropper that I have

I wouldn't do that either, since it may precipitation iron hydroxide.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about ditching the DI. According to an ICP test, silicates are the only thing that gets past my RO so I don't even bother with DI anymore. Plus the CO2 in my source water chews through DI it's a waste of $$$.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about ditching the DI. According to an ICP test, silicates are the only thing that gets past my RO so I don't even bother with DI anymore. Plus the CO2 in my source water chews through DI it's a waste of $$$.

I need to do an ICP on it to make sure. I don't do water changes (unless I am cleaning out the sump or some clump of detritus once or twice a year) so I need to be cautious about what could build up. I used to not use it and my tank seemed fine. I did this because I didn't have a flush bypass on my ro unit which would cause me to burn through DI resin every time I turned on the faucet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You tested the RO pre-DI?

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to make sure this is ok I saw another thread mentioning it but I figured I'd double check.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220128-173532_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220128-173532_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 22

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back