Advice Needed - Leaking Tank

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello -

My 3 year old tank sprung a tiny leak on the side, bottom seal. It's in a good spot for a leak, I guess, since it is on the side with the built in overflow. I can run the overflow so that it doesn't hold any water in the short term; however, what happens if the overflow divider gives way? Big trouble! This is a 96" x 40" x 32" tank. :crying-face:

I already tried to repair it with silicone, but it didn't take. I did drain, vacuum, vigorously clean and dry the spot nearest the leak and surrounding areas before trying to patch it.

What are my options?

Start fresh?

Break down tank and repair?

Wait for the catastrophe?

The tank is in a fish room with the 3" cement curb and a huge in floor drain.

I know the tank could be repaired in place but that is way beyond my skills. Are there any midwest companies that provide that kind of service?

If you recommend starting fresh, who do you recommend for a large tank builder and installer?

And I have shared this with the custom tank builder, but that has not yielded any helpful results.

Any advice, tank builder recommendations, etc would be greatly appreciated!

tbasinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having a custom tank completely explode on me after gently applying pressure during a fix job I would never again do 2 things:

1: Not immediately drain a tank if it sprung a leak

2: Buy another custom tank

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you tried silicone, I take it it's a glass tank. I would reclean that side completely and try 2 glass strips, 1 on the bottom & 1 on top of that against the corresponding glass.
This could mean a complete drain.

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is a seemingly overbuilt glass tank.

Are glass seams bound to leak? The closest builders to me are acrylic rather than glass. The glass vs acrylic language on the builder's website makes it seem like leaks are inevitable with large glass tanks. Is that true?? I had never heard that, but I never considered anything but glass.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically, leaks are inevitable with glass tanks but well made ones with properly done silicone jobs and bracing tend to last much longer than most of us will be in the hobby.
Being only 3 years old may mean that one area wasn't siliconed well (excessive large bubbles) or that theres some wave motions going on inside that causes more strain on a section of the seal (would usually lead more to seam separation though which is significantly worse)

That aside, I would contact the manufactuer since all the ones I've used have longer than 3 year leak warranties and have them fix it.
Be prepared to drain it and put everything in a few tubs though

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically, leaks are inevitable with glass tanks but well made ones with properly done silicone jobs and bracing tend to last much longer than most of us will be in the hobby.
Being only 3 years old may mean that one area wasn't siliconed well (excessive large bubbles) or that theres some wave motions going on inside that causes more strain on a section of the seal (would usually lead more to seam separation though which is significantly worse)

That aside, I would contact the manufactuer since all the ones I've used have longer than 3 year leak warranties and have them fix it.
Be prepared to drain it and put everything in a few tubs though

This is the bottom, side panel that is leaking. Most water pressure (wave maker, return) is hitting the in tank overflow divider rather than the side, glass panel that is leaking. The tank is 100% level on all sides.

The manufacturer offered various unhelpful responses including silicone boring critters, leveling issues, construction worker damaging the silicon 3 yrs ago, and on and on. The top piece of glass that sits on top of the overflow brace wiggles too (discovered this at the same time). The silicone is cracked. The builder said that was normal. I've never had silicone leak or crack, but this is my first extra large aquarium.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my glass tanks of any size have ever had any wiggling braces or cracked silicone even with age.

If they won't fix it (assuming you provided good photos for them to disprove what they stated and its within the warranty period), I would buy one from a different manufactuer entirely.

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my glass tanks of any size have ever had any wiggling braces or cracked silicone even with age.

If they won't fix it (assuming you provided good photos for them to disprove what they stated and its within the warranty period), I would buy one from a different manufactuer entirely.
The warranty period is over. Are there manufacturers that warranty their work for more than a year?

I'm looking for a beautiful, well built aquarium. Who besides Reef Savvy is making flawless aquariums these days?

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet aquariums and Advanced aqua tanks do a 5 year warranty but they're not local to you meaning the shipping will hurt. I would recommend consulting with some local lfs to see if there are local builders and see what their warranty happens to be for something that large.

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any feedback on Midwest Aquariums, Tenecor, or Planet Aquariums? I am thinking about an acrylic tank... Are they really that easy to scratch?

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics might help of the joint in question
First image is where the leak is occurring (bottom seam), left panel. Second picture is looking down into the overflow, left panel of tank is at the bottom of the image. There is a small strip of glass down there. You can see the black outline running along the left panel.

Attachments

• IMG_5257.jpg
    IMG_5257.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5255.jpg
    IMG_5255.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 86

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The warranty period is over. Are there manufacturers that warranty their work for more than a year?

I'm looking for a beautiful, well built aquarium. Who besides Reef Savvy is making flawless aquariums these days?

@Joe Glass Cages

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First image is where the leak is occurring (bottom seam), left panel. Second picture is looking down into the overflow, left panel of tank is at the bottom of the image. There is a small strip of glass down there. You can see the black outline running along the left panel.
Is the tank leaking or leaking into the overflow? Can’t tell from this pictures..

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any feedback on Midwest Aquariums, Tenecor, or Planet Aquariums? I am thinking about an acrylic tank... Are they really that easy to scratch?
If you go with a thicker profile and wont skimp on the magnet cleaner (mighty magnet only) then it won't scratch as easily/frequently as an acrylic tank that bows.
In the case of scratching it though, mighty magnet has a scratch removal kit that you can use in tank without draining it.

I got my acrylic tank made by james from envision acrylics

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank leaking or leaking into the overflow? Can’t tell from this pictures..
The tank is leaking, outside left panel. The overflow is built into the left side of the display.

Here is a quick diagram.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 11.11.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 11.11.33 AM.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 79

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is leaking, outside left panel. The overflow is built into the left side of the display.

Here is a quick diagram.
So it’s leaking outside from inside the overflow.. that’s a weird place lol.. that’s one of the strongest places on the tank as the overflow takes the brute force of water pressure. Is it a bad leak? I feel if you cleaned it very well with acetone and put new silicone on it or glue a glass patch in there it would seal just fine… only thing I’m worried about is if it gave up there what’s the rest of the tank gonna do… rrrr

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back