OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s leaking outside from inside the overflow.. that’s a weird place lol.. that’s one of the strongest places on the tank as the overflow takes the brute force of water pressure. Is it a bad leak? I feel if you cleaned it very well with acetone and put new silicone on it or glue a glass patch in there it would seal just fine… only thing I’m worried about is if it gave up there what’s the rest of the tank gonna do… rrrr
Any leak is bad! LOL. But yes, it's definitely a good place for a leak.

I didn't use acetone, but I scraped, scrubbed and cleaned the area really well. I did use alcohol.

BUTTT the top brace of the overflow divider is loose. :anxious-face-with-sweat:

There is already a small long piece of glass patch down there. If I tried a glass patch, would I try to remove the small glass piece that is already there? The piece I am talking about is on my diagram, it's the long, skinny rectangle in the overflow.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any leak is bad! LOL. But yes, it's definitely a good place for a leak.

I didn't use acetone, but I scraped, scrubbed and cleaned the area really well. I did use alcohol.

BUTTT the top brace of the overflow divider is loose. :anxious-face-with-sweat:

There is already a small long piece of glass patch down there. If I tried a glass patch, would I try to remove the small glass piece that is already there? The piece I am talking about is on my diagram, it's the long, skinny rectangle in the overflow.
I really couldn’t tell ya man without seeing it clearly in pics or person… the tank came with a patch in it already? If that’s the case I would have never accepted it! Sounds like they knew there was a issue and did a cheap fix.. I’d guess I’d be thankful it lasted 3 years at least.. sigh

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind telling us who made your tank...?

And as far as Planet - their warranty is only if you also buy one of their stands - otherwise it's only a 30 day warranty on your tank.

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really couldn’t tell ya man without seeing it clearly in pics or person… the tank came with a patch in it already? If that’s the case I would have never accepted it! Sounds like they knew there was a issue and did a cheap fix.. I’d guess I’d be thankful it lasted 3 years at least.. sigh
Can you elaborate?

I drew a yellow rectangle where the (patch?) piece of glass is located. That piece of glass is a possible sign of an error?? The glass patch/piece is like .25 H x .5 -1 in D x the compartment length. There is a gap, you can see it in my diagram and the picture below.

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.09.03 PM.png

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind telling us who made your tank...?

And as far as Planet - their warranty is only if you also buy one of their stands - otherwise it's only a 30 day warranty on your tank.
No, but I will say it is a top builder.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate?

I drew a yellow rectangle where the (patch?) piece of glass is located. That piece of glass is a possible sign of an error?? The glass patch/piece is like .25 H x .5 -1 in D x the compartment length. There is a gap, you can see it in my diagram and the picture below.

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.09.03 PM.png
Can you shine a flashlight in there and take a picture? I can’t tell in blue lighting.. is it standing up on end and holding the overflow? That could just be a brace for extra support.. if it’s flat on bottom it sounds like a patch.

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you shine a flashlight in there and take a picture? I can’t tell in blue lighting.. is it standing up on end and holding the overflow? That could just be a brace for extra support.. if it’s flat on bottom it sounds like a patch.
It's flat on the bottom. I'll take a better pic

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's screenshots from the video. This is looking down into the overflow.

The black rectangle is the glass piece/patch. It goes further to the right, but it is covered in clear silicone. It doesn't quite touch the divider wall as seen in the diagram I posted earlier and it seems like that is where the water is coming from.

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.51.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.52.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.57.20 PM.png

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a weird place for a random piece of glass.. I’d say it was a patch cause it serves no other purpose. It’s not like an armored seam or anything of that sort… it must have had a bad joint to begin with and they used that to fix it.

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a weird place for a random piece of glass.. I’d say it was a patch cause it serves no other purpose. It’s not like an armored seam or anything of that sort… it must have had a bad joint to begin with and they used that to fix it.
Oh boy - that is wild!

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello -

My 3 year old tank sprung a tiny leak on the side, bottom seal. It's in a good spot for a leak, I guess, since it is on the side with the built in overflow. I can run the overflow so that it doesn't hold any water in the short term; however, what happens if the overflow divider gives way? Big trouble! This is a 96" x 40" x 32" tank. :crying-face:

I already tried to repair it with silicone, but it didn't take. I did drain, vacuum, vigorously clean and dry the spot nearest the leak and surrounding areas before trying to patch it.

What are my options?

Start fresh?

Break down tank and repair?

Wait for the catastrophe?

The tank is in a fish room with the 3" cement curb and a huge in floor drain.

I know the tank could be repaired in place but that is way beyond my skills. Are there any midwest companies that provide that kind of service?

If you recommend starting fresh, who do you recommend for a large tank builder and installer?

And I have shared this with the custom tank builder, but that has not yielded any helpful results.

Any advice, tank builder recommendations, etc would be greatly appreciated!
If you start fresh go with acrylic. Glass tanks will literally all fail due to the seams. Might take 20 years but eventually they all fail.

ChrisH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank fail on the front lower edge, right in the middle. Sprung a leak while I was home, heard it, watched as it spread and became wider like a waterfall. Gathered about a quarter of the water in plastic boxes, emptied rocks and corals as fast as could be done.

Tried patching with glass strips, but after adding these simply felt I would never trust it again. One seal goes, how long till another of the same age and silicone source. Ordered a new tank. Lost about half of everything living during a heatwave with them in a bath, waiting for the new tank to be delivered. I'd have had to wait for the silicone to cure anyway ...

I'd advise not patching, but preparing for a possible worse case and ordering a new tank.

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you start fresh go with acrylic. Glass tanks will literally all fail due to the seams. Might take 20 years but eventually they all fail.
I am seriously considering this option. But I am really nervous about acrylic! Acrylic tank people can you share your cleaning practices/products?

I've done some reading, but are magic erasers really reef safe???

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with thicker acrylic than what a lot of builders may use for example 1" instead of 3/4" on a 30" height for less or no long term bow (makes it easier to scratch when bowed)

And do not buy any other magnet cleaner than a mighty magnet. It hurts upfront cost wise but it's the best thing i've ever bought for cleaning a tank.

Consider an external built on overflow if space allows which will greatly increase real estate inside

Lastly, do a to scale model of the top openings incase you need to make modifications to fit inside/fit in rock structures. For example my tank is 96"x36" and has 3-24"x24" openings (6" border all around + bracing)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 530g tank? You drain it and get rid of it and buy an acrylic tank from a popular/known builder.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seriously considering this option. But I am really nervous about acrylic! Acrylic tank people can you share your cleaning practices/products?

I've done some reading, but are magic erasers really reef safe???

I have used magic eraser on a small 6g acrylic tank for over 10 years with no problems. Just make sure to get the "original" with nothing added.

Otherwise just drop some big $$$ on a good acrylic scrubber.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, this is basically the conclusion that I've come to. :dizzy-face:

ya, sorry no one steered you that direction the first go around. Glass is fine but on larger tanks, acrylic is the way to go!

The scratch thing is overblown... just:

Get a mighty magnet

Do not leave it in the tank between uses! You do not want so much as a spirorbid worm growing on it...

Use it OFTEN, if you keep the acrylic clear of algae/coralline before it can actually set on/grow bigger it will be much easier to keep clean and if it is easier to clean... it is easier to do without scratching it.

Keep it away from children, large magnets pose a pinching risk but also they will drag that thing into the sand then all over :eek:

Do the lowest/sand part last... that way if you do get sand in it... you didn't just drag it upwards into the viewing area...

but you can also just do the very bottom part with a scraper... scrape down.. shake and debris off... repeat...

Light scratches are probably inevitable over a long time line but the scratches are fixable! (unlike glass, which people also still scratch)

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am talking to several acrylic tank builders and it seems like the acrylic thickness varies by builder.

For a 96" x 46" x 36"H what thickness do you suggest?

Also, some builders have access to thick sheets of colored acrylic other builders don't use or say it's unavailable. Why is this? Is this old school vs. new school tank design? Or is there a more serious reason?

Have any recent experiences with Tenecor, Midwest Aquariums or Clear Fabrications?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back