Advice with "new tank"

garyddhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have purchased a home that has a large tank in the basement. It is currently a fresh water tank. The tank is 14 ft x 3 ft x just under 2 ft. It has a 1 ft x 1ft full length over head sump. I would like to make it a saltwater tank. Less coral mabey a softy and/or lps or 2. Mostly fish. Not a predator tank (wife said no).

Sand. Is there a less expensive way to get bulk sand? Can i order larger quantity cheeper some where? 1 in to 1 1/2 in deep

Live rock. How much do i need? Is there a better price than $5_$6 a lb?

Salt and is 5 gallon buckets the biggest or can you order in bulk?

Water changes. How often, How much. light to med stocking. Tank has auto top off. I would have to mod with rodi. Can easily set up auto changer.

I am trying to get start up cost down. And have a reasonable maint cost. If not possible i will likely tear it out. I don't want frash water again.

Thanks for any help.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For rock, you definitely can just get some live and the rest dry and the live will seed the dry with time.

Yes you can buy salt in sacks rather than 5 gal buckets, just do some searching online. Instant ocean works just as good as fancy reef salt.

I have seen regular play sand used for saltwater ponds, just need to rinse it thoroughly.

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For rock, you definitely can just get some live and the rest dry and the live will seed the dry with time.

Yes you can buy salt in sacks rather than 5 gal buckets, just do some searching online. Instant ocean works just as good as fancy reef salt.

I have seen regular play sand used for saltwater ponds, just need to rinse it thoroughly.
Play sands is silica based, you wouldn't want that unless you want a lifetime of diatoms.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i have purchased a home that has a large tank in the basement. It is currently a fresh water tank. The tank is 14 ft x 3 ft x just under 2 ft. It has a 1 ft x 1ft full length over head sump. I would like to make it a saltwater tank. Less coral mabey a softy and/or lps or 2. Mostly fish. Not a predator tank (wife said no).

Sand. Is there a less expensive way to get bulk sand? Can i order larger quantity cheeper some where? 1 in to 1 1/2 in deep

Water changes. How often, How much. light to med stocking. Tank has auto top off. I would have to mod with rodi. Can easily set up auto changer.

I am trying to get start up cost down. And have a reasonable maint cost. If not possible i will likely tear it out. I don't want frash water again.

Thanks for any help.
See Tampa Bay for sand and rock.

Also carib Sea

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for any help.
Bigger questions would probably be what's the pump and filter setups. Freshwater to salt will have some major differences and a tank that size will need some serious pumps not your typical off the shelf stuff unless using 3/4 of them, plus flow pumps.

Rock and sand can both be bought in bulk, you'd be best using dry rock for about $2/3 a pound. You'd probably need at least 500-600 pounds to have any decent structures and roughly the same amount of sand to get a shallow base.

OP
OP
G

garyddhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger questions would probably be what's the pump and filter setups. Freshwater to salt will have some major differences and a tank that size will need some serious pumps not your typical off the shelf stuff unless using 3/4 of them, plus flow pumps.

Rock and sand can both be bought in bulk, you'd be best using dry rock for about $2/3 a pound. You'd probably need at least 500-600 pounds to have any decent structures and roughly the same amount of sand to get a shallow base.
Right now the flow is one direction two 3000 gph dc pumps. I am thinking adding 2 more and changing the direction. Using a controller to create "tide" flow 6 hour increments. It is a closed loop. Half the returns with random flow generators. I think i can get 10x flow at 80%. Should i go for more?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for any help.
600 gal tank? Work out some costs before you get started because it's gonna cost a lot just to light it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back