AEFW - My long journey

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure about ronnie but for my aefw experience, I've dipped in complete insect killer for 3 weeks until I didn't notice any more aefw and after every dipping session I've noticed more PE and growth.. Gotta say these things work...

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm still living with them. I've lost color and am losing tissue since my vroliks wrasse died. I have a leopard wrasse now, but I'm not sure if he is going to be enough.

I'm working towards getting a qt up and running, and I'll start fragging everything and run thee frags through the qt and then put them into my frag tank.

Once I get backups of everything, I'll probably try the levimasole.

AcroholicReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leopard wrasse now, but I'm not sure if he is going to be enough.

I'm working towards getting a qt up and running, and I'll start fragging everything and run thee frags through the qt and then put them into my frag tank.

My Leopard Wrasse is a flatworm killing machine.

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I found either a Vrolik's or a melanarus at my LFS, so now I've got two wrasses pulling duty.

Also have a tank for QT - 18x18x18 cube. Plan to run an MP10 on it, along with a 26 bulb LED fixture. I will be fragging out every colony and treating for 4-6 weeks with the Bayer. Once I have a few backups of everything, then I'm going to treat the 120 with levimasole.

cjilge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? knock on wood i havent had aefws but I know a few that have local to me and I took their advise early on in my tank. Wrasse up! I have a chrstmas, melenarus, yellow coris, mystery, lubucks, marble wrasses and 2 manderins in my tank. They do some work, lol. I have had red bugs and the Bayer treatment works well, i now use it on all corals coming into the tank. Let us know how your treatments are doing.

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can't bring myself to pull the trigger. I'm living with them. I've lost about ten frags, and one colony so far.

It seems like I'll end up with no sps eventually. But I'd imagine it would take years to get there. I am keeping hope up for a good cure in the meantime

Reeferguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just Found out I Have AEFW in my 75 gal sps tank.. I AM BUMMED... I juat dont know what way to go considering I have like thousands of dollars in acros!! I have been doing all the reading on treatments and I was wonderingthe best way to go. I will be using a 55 gal frag tank for a qt tank and throw a couple wrasses in there but not sure which chemical to go with for dips... should I use Levamisole,Bayer Insecticide, or Betadine??? let me know all your opinions especially all you guys that have been battling these bas^*%s!!!

Thanks

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't treated yet. I'm going to live with them it looks like.

If your bent on living with them then do what I did. Pull them out, take as many frags as you can, cutting only the very tips. Dip those. Reattach them on a new rock and let them regrow. I was bummed for a few weeks but now everything has grown back and I am AEFW free.

Note the table on the top center:

b4df7f6c.jpg

One year later:

9312e045.jpg

So while painful I'm glad now. If you have a treatment tank to keep them for 60 days then that is the best way to go, but I did not. After they came back after weeks of removing dipping and replacing I gave up and fragged.

Last edited:

chriskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still living with them. I've lost color and am losing tissue since my vroliks wrasse died. I have a leopard wrasse now, but I'm not sure if he is going to be enough.

Once I get backups of everything, I'll probably try the levimasole.
dont, the corals will not live through multiple dips of levimasole. bayer insect killer is much more genital on sps tissue. just be sure to rinse coral well before placing in QT. real well.

Tecdiverfl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I put anything into my 2 display tanks is gets dipped and goes into the frag tank. After 2-3 weeks if it looks fine it gets dipped again before going into the DT. Once I add something to the frag nothing goes into the DT for 2-3 weeks.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but its an excellent article on the biology of these creatures we all hate so much. This is the kind of information we need to know about these guys to start figuring out a better, more effective way of getting rid of them. I hope scientists like this continue to work on this problem.
Reefs Magazine - On the (Mucous) Trail of Coral Killers: Acropora-Eating Flatworms

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back