OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So water changes would increase to keep the trace elements in check, magnesium maybe, lowering nitrates and phosphates, increasing those doses.

If your tank looks good now I'd stick with what you're doing.

I buy the AFR powder from Petco when they have 35% off repeat delivery (it's not available right now).

Now if you're battling algae, it could be due to the amount of trace elements from AFR.
(Don't recommend an Urchin see SBB thread) :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I have dosed 2 part and kalk in the past, AFR is the easiest for me because water change intervals vary due to my kids' priorities.

KZ1234 is another option with 2 part.
Tank looks good. Algae isn’t a problem other than sporadic bubble algae. I’m going to stick to what I’ve been doing and add kalk to my top off water.

Thanks for the info @stoney7713

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are doing water changes for other reasons, they are never the most economical way to supplement.
In a “ Alvin Iverson” interview tone:

We are talking water changes, I mean water changes in a 20 gallon, not a 50, or 90 or 200 gallon tank. LOL

How much expense or work could it be
I wish I could dump in 5 gallons and wash my troubles away, heck under 20 gallons I’d find it hard to justify the equipment expense, or complications/risk of a dosing regime

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, you want results or you want to play with stuff?
That’s not being obtuse, it’s valid because your tank size can be handled without even a test kit.

Nobody will like this underwhelming, unscientific solution but really ( establish tank and all things considered)
you could swap all of your test kits, all of your supplements, all of your dozers for just:
3ea 5 gallon buckets: 2 empty and one of salt. Change 5 gallons week or 2gallons every three days…

Nobody is gonna come in and argue with that

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried increasing your AFR dose, once your mag levels have been adjusted to what you like ?
I have and alk got real high. I’ve got it back so the AFR is keeping my alk between 7.5-8. I’ll more than likely stick with dosing magnesium to keep those levels more consistent.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and alk got real high. I’ve got it back so the AFR is keeping my alk between 7.5-8. I’ll more than likely stick with dosing magnesium to keep those levels more consistent.
I know what you mean. All my levels are good but that means my alkalinity is high (10,9). Maybe I should do the same as you. My corals were doing better with lower alk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean. All my levels are good but that means my alkalinity is high (10,9). Maybe I should do the same as you. My corals were doing better with lower alk.

I dont understand what that means. Did you try to use AFR to boost calcium?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand what that means. Did you try to use AFR to boost calcium?
I’m using AFR to keep levels stable. I don’t remember if mag or cal was fluctuating more but my 20 ml daily dose keeps their levels constant and alkalinity high as I mentioned.

I never have to dose mag or cal separately. I just wish my alkalinity were lower.

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using AFR to keep levels stable. I don’t remember if mag or cal was fluctuating more but my 20 ml daily dose keeps their levels constant and alkalinity high as I mentioned.

I never have to dose mag or cal separately. I just wish my alkalinity were lower.
Different for me. My alk and calcium are stable but my magnesium fluctuates. I dose AFR based on my alk.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different for me. My alk and calcium are stable but my magnesium fluctuates. I dose AFR based on my alk.
But I bet it wouldn’t fluctuate if you increased your dose. What might happen to me if I decrease mine to get a more desirable alk value would be similar to what you are experiencing.

That’s why I said I’m the same.

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I bet it wouldn’t fluctuate if you increased your dose. What might happen to me if I decrease mine to get a more desirable alk value would be similar to what you are experiencing.

That’s why I said I’m the same.
My alk increases if I increase AFR.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you dose to maintain alk at your target level, which is what I recommend, why is the alk higher than you want?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is NOT fluctuating (which means moving up and down) in any tank. Test kit results for Mg fluctuate in nearly every tank.

I recommend not measuring it, just adding at a prescribed rate.

kerbfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just dose some mag supplement. I use afr and I dont know if I my corals just dont use mag that much or the test kit is faulty but my mag is usually 1500+. I change about 15g of water biweekly in a 120g system I use reef crystals.
Maybe its the reef crystals, cause thats was I use and it mag is always above 1500 and i do monthly water changes more ir less……

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back