AI 64HD age question

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I currently run AI Hydra 32HD on my 6' tank and its not enough
I have ran into what i think may be a really good deal of 3x Hydra 64HDs for a very reasonable price.
Im hesitant because they are 3 years old. The pics of the housing and bulbs looks like its the same as the current ones on the market but i cant be sure.

Are they the same quality and will they run on AI and mobius and is there anything i should look for?

Thank!!!!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last generation were called:
AI Prime HD
Hydra 26HD
Hydra 52HD

So if they're 64's that makes them apart of the newer generation. The way to tell is to count the diodes, if there are 16 per puck, those are the new generation.

I have 26HD's that have been in operation for going on 9 years and they run just fine....

OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last generation were called:
AI Prime HD
Hydra 26HD
Hydra 52HD

So if they're 64's that makes them apart of the newer generation. The way to tell is to count the diodes, if there are 16 per puck, those are the new generation.

I have 26HD's that have been in operation for going on 9 years and they run just fine....
Thats them, i think they look like the new generation. Are they all "HD" version?

1714983859003.png

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell from that picture really... But I don't think they made non-HD versions of the new Gen... So as long as there are 16 diodes per puck I would say they are as advertised... How many Hydra 32' are you currently running?

OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell from that picture really... But I don't think they made non-HD versions of the new Gen... So as long as there are 16 diodes per puck I would say they are as advertised... How many Hydra 32' are you currently running?
3 of them with a 16 prime on the end (where i have my acros). theyre cranked up to like 160% on the blues and run really hot to the point where the diode cover is melted. That gets me like 150ish par on the sandbed and the spread is not very good, especially with the diffuser shell on them (diffuser removed)

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my 26HDs with the lenses off and aftermarket diffusers. 150 on the sand is great for a mixed reef, are you trying to get SPS top too bottom? If you're trying for a mixed reef with better spread, you might be better off just adding a 4th 32HD and spacing them 18" apart Rather than 3 at 24... You'll get better spread/distribution, and little bit higher PAR across the bottom... Food for thought

OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my 26HDs with the lenses off and aftermarket diffusers. 150 on the sand is great for a mixed reef, are you trying to get SPS top too bottom? If you're trying for a mixed reef with better spread, you might be better off just adding a 4th 32HD and spacing them 18" apart Rather than 3 at 24... You'll get better spread/distribution, and little bit higher PAR across the bottom... Food for thought
I have a custom lid so i cant really add more becuase of the mounts. I would like to run them a bit lower power and better spread and the price on these is good enough that selling the 32HDs would pay for them easily

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back