OP
logo8

logo8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about everyone’s blades. I agree this should have definitely been recalled or at the very least acknowledged better. From what I’ve heard they are testing the defective unit I sent in. Then pulling a new unit off the production line and testing. I also got a response from BRS that all defective unit issues are being taken straight to senior management. I’m hoping Ai can get it figured out. All though I wish I could just get my money back at this point.

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already received a 2nd light from BRS and it has the same issue. No better than the last nor worse. It's identical to my eye. My cheap Aquaknight light has only 3 clusters and each is turned a slightly different direction than the other to avoid this kind of problem. With the way all the clusters face exactly the same on these units I don't see how any of the units wouldn't have the problem until they rotate some.

OP
OP
logo8

logo8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already received a 2nd light from BRS and it has the same issue. No better than the last nor worse. It's identical to my eye. My cheap Aquaknight light has only 3 clusters and each is turned a slightly different direction than the other to avoid this kind of problem. With the way all the clusters face exactly the same on these units I don't see how any of the units wouldn't have the problem until they rotate some.
Someone posted in this Fluval evo Facebook group that I’m in that it has to do with the yellow led placements. The defective units all have the yellow LEDs face the same away. Newer units they alternate.

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone posted in this Fluval evo Facebook group that I’m in that it has to do with the yellow led placements. The defective units all have the yellow LEDs face the same away. Newer units they alternate.
This sounds like good news! I’m going to send AI an email tonight and see what they say about mine. Hopefully I can get one of these newer ones you’re talking about. Aside from this issue I really like the light and would love to have one working perfectly.

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not rolling the dice anymore as I need a light. BRS to their credit has been quick to respond and is going to refund me so I'm going to take them up on that vs asking for a third light. I've heard a few people say that there's a fix but also heard of people getting supposedly brand new lights straight from AI that were not fixed.

Its a shame because otherwise it's a great light and it did help with my shadowing issues a lot. I think the form factor is the biggest part of that though so I'm going to grab a cheap Nicrew off Amazon for now.

AI better move quicker to fix this because I think they're definitely on to something here and it will only be a matter of time before there are a lot of competitive, quality blade style lights on the market. As soon as I'm confident a fix has taken place I'll order another AI blade because I do value the extra features and build quality for the money.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This worries me because these are what I’m hoping to upgrade three (or at least two) tanks to. To me it seems that some of the diodes are under the white reflector which could definitely cause the colors to be different. May just be me looking at it wrong though.
You should look at these https://www.quantareef.com/shop .The owner responds pretty quick on instagram and is very helpful. These are cheaper, but have equal or better quality than the AI Blades.

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sticking with AI blades for the sole reason that I can lay them right on top of the aquarium. Quanta lights look amazing and I did give them a lot of thought, but the light glare blead from being higher than the tank top is what drove me to the Blade. I'm really hoping my replacement from AI ships soon.

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those quanta do look nice but I also went for the blade due to not needing to hang mount them. If there were other mounting options for the quanta (like the raised tank mounts that AI offers) I would have probably gone with those.

On another note. How did you all contact AI? I sent them a “ticket” on their website on Wednesday afternoon and have yet to hear from them. I realize that’s only 2 business days but the confirmation email I received said I should have a response within 1 day so I’m wondering if there’s a better way to get a hold of them?

OP
OP
logo8

logo8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those quanta do look nice but I also went for the blade due to not needing to hang mount them. If there were other mounting options for the quanta (like the raised tank mounts that AI offers) I would have probably gone with those.

On another note. How did you all contact AI? I sent them a “ticket” on their website on Wednesday afternoon and have yet to hear from them. I realize that’s only 2 business days but the confirmation email I received said I should have a response within 1 day so I’m wondering if there’s a better way to get a hold of them?
Just call them. The first time I went through email and they ended up just telling me to call them anyways to get it replaced.

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my replacement directly from AquaIllumination’s. You were right, they changed the orientation of that entire side of diode’s. And the light is perfect! It looks exactly the same from one side of the tank to the other! So happy with the light!

OP
OP
logo8

logo8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my replacement directly from AquaIllumination’s. You were right, they changed the orientation of that entire side of diode’s. And the light is perfect! It looks exactly the same from one side of the tank to the other! So happy with the light!
Great news! I got a random email with tracking info for mine. Hoping for the same results!

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look at these https://www.quantareef.com/shop .The owner responds pretty quick on instagram and is very helpful. These are cheaper, but have equal or better quality than the AI Blades.
They look nice but I prefer to mount on the tank as opposed to hanging. My ceilings aren’t the best and I’d be afraid they’d fall. Maybe when they have other mounting options.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look nice but I prefer to mount on the tank as opposed to hanging. My ceilings aren’t the best and I’d be afraid they’d fall. Maybe when they have other mounting options.
I totally understand. AI does have a good mounting setup for the blades.

OP
OP
logo8

logo8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated: Finally received a working Ai Blade Grow. 3rd time is the charm. It looks so much better it’s shocking how bad it was before. Confirming the working unit has the alternating yellow LEDs.
IMG_4238.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4239.jpeg
    IMG_4239.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 131

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated: Finally received a working Ai Blade Grow. 3rd time is the charm. It looks so much better it’s shocking how bad it was before. Confirming the working unit has the alternating yellow LEDs.
I’m glad you finally got a properly functioning unit! This gives me hope as they should be sending out my replacement in the next few days. Great looking tank btw! I see you’re also running this light on a fluval evo. I got a par meter today and man this light is more powerful than I realized.

OP
OP
logo8

logo8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you finally got a properly functioning unit! This gives me hope as they should be sending out my replacement in the next few days. Great looking tank btw! I see you’re also running this light on a fluval evo. I got a par meter today and man this light is more powerful than I realized.
Good luck! And thank you! I would be super curious to see your par results and what settings you are running on the evo. I’m currently running the LPS/Soft coral preset at 40%

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! And thank you! I would be super curious to see your par results and what settings you are running on the evo. I’m currently running the LPS/Soft coral preset at 40%
Hmm I couldn't find any presets on the AI app so I assume you’re using mobius? I’m using a custom schedule on the AI app. Basically I’m running a very long photo period (12.5) hours, but only have them peaking for 4 hours. I think it’s 1.5 hours ramp up to 47% blues, 10% whites, 1.5 hours to 50% blues, 36% whites, 4 hours hold, 1.5 hours back down to 47% blues and 0% whites, then 4 hours of just blues ramping down to off. Hopefully that makes sense haha.

The values here are from the peak of 50% blues, 36% whites. Btw I’m running a 21” not the 12” and mines on the elevated tank rests. Also have a media basket from 3docean which raises the display water level a little bit more than stock. If you divide it roughly into thirds the bottom of the tank is almost all 100~120 par. Mid is like 140~180, top is 200+.

Attachments

• IMG_1906.jpeg
    IMG_1906.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 136

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this with AI. Contacted them, they sent a new one with a prepaid label, shipped back the old. I was annoyed too, but customer service was really good. Did cost $1 that they use to run your credit card. If you don’t return the defective light, they will charge you the full price of the replacement. New light is fine, btw.
I just contacted them myself. How long did it take for you to receive the replacement light

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, it’s 100% a design issue.

IMG_0575.png

Blue on one side, white on the other. How the optical window lines up with each cluster determines how bad it will be. Until AI redesigns the cluster, it will always be an issue.

I’m just glad mine aren’t nearly as bad as some that I’ve seen on here. I was told a “fix had happened or was happening already” but I haven’t seen any proof of that. Mine is barely noticeable but it shouldn’t be there at all. True beta testing with good testers would have seen this immediately.
Did you send it back for a replacement?

seadonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a new 39” blade grow back on 11/12 and have the issue of it being whiter on the chord side. Still haven’t gotten a response. Tried calling multiple times and sat on hold every time the longest being 1 hour and 7 mins. I’m very disappointed in their customer support… mostly do to the fact that we the consumers dish out top dollar for defective products that shouldn’t have even been sent out. But hey big corporate doesn’t care just get them out there and on the shelves and we’ll deal with it later meanwhile I’m passed my return date. I’m sure they’ll make it right after reading other posts…really un cool that defective lights are still being sold this late after they’ve been informed of it.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back