AI PRIME HD Aquarium Depth Question

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting back into the hobby after a three year break. I'm pretty sold on the AI Prime HD light but I'm torn between which aquarium size I'm going to get; either the Deep Blue 30 Rimless (24x24x12) or the Deep Blue 28 Rimless (20x20x16). I plan to do an SPS dominant tank throughout and am curious which depth would be most appropriate for this light? Do you think I can get away with this light doing an SPS system in a 16" deep tank or should I space it out and go with the 12" tank (with maybe a few dark spots along the side)? Please let me know your thoughts!

Tyler

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll punch down to 16 pretty easy I'd say. The regular prime (non hd) was supposed to be good for an 18" cube. I have a regular prime on a standard 10g and I bleach chalices on the sandbed...

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Ai Prime HD and I grow SPS in a biocube 14, I think you'd be successful in either tank. However, you may need to use 2 Primes instead of just one. I can get about 30k lux at the water line 8 inches off the water. Ai Prime HD is a great light and I can talk a lot about lighting and growing SPS, but let me say there is some different options out there that may be more suitable for those tanks such as the Radion Gen4 pro series or if you're stuck on AI then you've got the Hydra 26 or 52. Personally, I haven't found a spectrum I like to look at with the Prime, but that's my opinion. If you're really looking to grow sps , maybe check into a hybrid of LED and T5 or MH.

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Ai Prime HD and I grow SPS in a biocube 14, I think you'd be successful in either tank. However, you may need to use 2 Primes instead of just one. I can get about 30k lux at the water line 8 inches off the water. Ai Prime HD is a great light and I can talk a lot about lighting and growing SPS, but let me say there is some different options out there that may be more suitable for those tanks such as the Radion Gen4 pro series or if you're stuck on AI then you've got the Hydra 26 or 52. Personally, I haven't found a spectrum I like to look at with the Prime, but that's my opinion. If you're really looking to grow sps , maybe check into a hybrid of LED and T5 or MH.

I would consider the Hydra 26, but does it have nearly as much controlling power as the PRIME HD?

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I appreciate the suggestion. Right now I'm leaning towards the PRIME HD but will consider the HYDRA 26 if I can find a good deal.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back