air trapped in dosing pump line

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my setup the height may only be about a foot and a half from the dosing solution to the intake. I am seeing some pretty significant dry areas not just a bubble or two. Could this still be gas coming out of solution?

Yes, gas stuck there. If it is stuck anywhere except the roller section inside the pump, it is not impacting the dose.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is airline, not RO tubing, but I think I'm with you cuz it is really tight and probably stretched.

I'll check the LFS for some silicone tubing, but I dunno how I feel about not being able to see if air is accumulating....ever seen clear silicone?
I use the light blue soft tubing from BRS and it works great. I can see in it and no leaks anywhere. I had a terrible time with the rigid tubing personally.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the light blue soft tubing from BRS and it works great. I can see in it and no leaks anywhere. I had a terrible time with the rigid tubing personally.
You use this for both in and out lines? The way my dosing container is constructed I need to use something rigid like airline for the intake.

Got a link to what you're using?

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use this for both in and out lines? The way my dosing container is constructed I need to use something rigid like airline for the intake.

Got a link to what you're using?
Actually, after looking at it, got it from petco. Topfin silicone airline tubing, and yes, I use it for in and out. I had a terrible time with the rigid tubing not being pushed off the fitting due to pressure? or something. so I went to this and have not looked back. Use it on a cheap jaeco dosing pump.

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/suppl...lty | Fish,utm_campaign:GSC - PLA - Specialty

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, after looking at it, got it from petco. Topfin silicone airline tubing, and yes, I use it for in and out. I had a terrible time with the rigid tubing not being pushed off the fitting due to pressure? or something. so I went to this and have not looked back. Use it on a cheap jaeco dosing pump.

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/supplies/aquarium-maintenance/air-pumps-and-air-stones/top-fin-8-foot-silicone-airline-tubing-5098501.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAnb3DBRCX2ZnSnMyO9dIBEiQAOcXYH_-dZtfHN1kuER7mVeUWUVy-BkKcRZgHqqB98VFjRVEaAsI48P8HAQ&lsft=utm_source:google,utm_term:5098501,utm_medium:pLA,utm_content:GSC - PLA - Specialty | Fish,utm_campaign:GSC - PLA - Specialty
Thanks! My only problem is my dosing container has one of those RO tubing push connect fittings so I can't see silicone tubing working very well there.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reeftilldie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My only problem is my dosing container has one of those RO tubing push connect fittings so I can't see silicone tubing working very well there.

I think the regular clear 1/4" tubing ( not soft airline tubing) can fit the push connect?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you still get air trapped in?
Yeah so either it needs some settling as mcarroll said, a connection is bad, or I need to switch to silicone. I'll try to rule things out and report back. The intake line doesn't really appear to have any trapped air last I looked but I haven't been paying close attention. My thoughts are the issue would be likely at the dosing pump connections so I'll start there first.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you're feeling attached to the dosing containers, then I understand – you can disregard this advice. :) But if they are nice and still worth something, maybe sell the containers and switch to a DIY solution, or gallon milk jugs or vinegar jugs, etc?

Yes that could be an issue, would have to switch out the connection. Here is an adapter for the pushline if you decide to go that route.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lok-stem-adapter-tube-x-hose-stem.html

I think that's for 1/4" ID (inside diameter) hose – not "1/4 inch hose" which would be referring to the 1/4" OD (outside diameter).

Airline/doser tubing is more like 5mm...almost half that size.

I don't know of a 1/4" to airline adapter. (One may still exist.)

But I know you can get an airline bulkhead that might be able to replace the push-fit.

Check out Jehmco. (Pentair makes an airline bulkhead too, but only for big holes.)

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you are dealing with...I have 8 of these puppies (BRS Dosers) and had the same concern. So I did an extend calibration on each one. I would run the doser (with all the bubbles in the lines) for 10 minutes and measure the amount recording the result (divide by 10 to get the mL/min. I repeated this for 10 times (10 calibrations) over a period of 2-3 days. I did this for each doser over a 2 week period. The results were very consistent. The variability for each doser was .1 mL/min or less. The spec delivery volume is 1.1 mL/min. I got delivery volumes from 1.0 to 1.3mL depending on the doser (each one is slightly different) but the delivery was consistent with each doser. I set them up with a loop in the line...kinda like an air trap I guess. I did have one where the doser tube (inside the doser) was bad and gave me inconsistent results and had to replace it...you may want to check that

I calibrate my dosers every 2- 3 months ....here is a link to my post on how to making it easier to calibrate multiple dosers

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/making-my-reefkeeping-live-easier.280996/#post-3415988

Here are some pictures of my setup...the last one shows the loop I mentioned.

upload_2017-1-6_14-58-16.png

upload_2017-1-6_14-58-43.png

upload_2017-1-6_14-59-19.png

brownsalt92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you are dealing with...I have 8 of these puppies (BRS Dosers) and had the same concern. So I did an extend calibration on each one. I would run the doser (with all the bubbles in the lines) for 10 minutes and measure the amount recording the result (divide by 10 to get the mL/min. I repeated this for 10 times (10 calibrations) over a period of 2-3 days. I did this for each doser over a 2 week period. The results were very consistent. The variability for each doser was .1 mL/min or less. The spec delivery volume is 1.1 mL/min. I got delivery volumes from 1.0 to 1.3mL depending on the doser (each one is slightly different) but the delivery was consistent with each doser. I set them up with a loop in the line...kinda like an air trap I guess. I did have one where the doser tube (inside the doser) was bad and gave me inconsistent results and had to replace it...you may want to check that

I calibrate my dosers every 2- 3 months ....here is a link to my post on how to making it easier to calibrate multiple dosers

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/making-my-reefkeeping-live-easier.280996/#post-3415988

Some serious business I only have 2 dosers! Haha fts please

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So essentially for you the amount of air being trapped and affecting the dose was consistent over time? For me I'm dosing such a small volume (since the tank and demand are very small) that it is a seesaw effect with the dosing. I guess my only way around this would be to dilute the dosing solution if I can't minimize the air...

Aaron Atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue, here's how I fixed it a few days ago. I have the Libra vessels, which have push loc fittings on top for RO tubing. If the tube wasn't exactly straight the o ring inside wouldn't keep its seal. With my small space this was basically impossible.

I siliconed in a small piece of RO tubing and attached a new 90 fitting to it. The doser tube now connects to the 90, so I can still disconnect easily. It's been working well for a few days.

I finally figured it out by pushing real hard down on the tube going into the container. You may want to give it a try if you haven't already. Good luck

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some serious business I only have 2 dosers! Haha fts please

I think this is what you are asking for when you say "fts please"....I am relatively new to the forum and do not know all of the acronyms yet :)

upload_2017-1-9_10-23-8.png

The above stats are statistical data from 12 months running avgs....see below

upload_2017-1-9_10-30-9.png

Also here is a link to my youtube channel and it has all of my tank videos from the initial build to the last post in in December of last year

Rodmad4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this posting just a bit late tho lol, 2 years later. But if anyone is still having an issue like this, forget everything that was said in this post. What you need to do is to keep the end of your line pointing up not down. Pointed up keeps air from rising up the line. GL

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back