AKay3600's 29Gallon

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, joined up on here not too long ago and have decided to make a tank thread. My tank is a little over 2 years old and has had it's share of ups and downs like almost all tanks.

Past: Through the first year I lost 2 clown fish to jumping (bad DIY lids) and 1 Lawnmower Benny to what looked to be a lost fight with a powerhead. I also lost a flowerpot coral and a birds nest frag I picked up out of ignorance. Besides that things went well. I upgraded my lighs from a cheap two bulb T5 fixture to the Current Marine Obrit around the 3 or 4 month mark. Year two saw me upgrade my skimmer from a little biocube skimmer to a Hydor Slim Skim Nano. I don't believe I had any livestock losses year two other than my Six-Line Wrasse killing my Cleaner Shrimp. I also took a two week vacation during which my tank was over fed and so I battled some algae for the next few months, mainly bryopsis. I added more corals and for the most part things ran smoothly.

Present: Over the last month I lost a Tailspot Benny that I had for a few months and had a Firefish jump out magically, only a few days after getting him. So the start of year three has been a bit rough. I recently upgraded my lights yet again. This time going with a Reef Breeders 24 V2. After a weekend with them they have grown on me. The corals seem to be responding well to the new light, we'll besides the Xenia that was probably up too high for the stronger light so I have moved them down.

Future: I will be moving in July so my first tank move has be a bit nervous but it will only be about an hour drive. I also plan on upgrading my 29 to a 40 breeder and moving ton a bigger sump and a bigger and better skimmer. I want to try my hand at SPS next so I'll probably hold off on new coral until the 40 breeder.

Alright enough talk here are some pictures from the beginning to now. I'll add equipment and stock list in the next post.

(01/2015)
FB_IMG_1487705240156.jpg

(10/2015)
FB_IMG_1487705407169.jpg

(06/2016)
FB_IMG_1487705620222.jpg

(02/18/2017)
LRM_EXPORT_20170218_100803.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment:
Standard 29
Sump: 10 gallon DIY with refugium
Light: Reef Breeders Photon 24 V2
Skimmer: Hydor Slim Skim Nano
Wavemaker: Jebao PP-4
Overflow: Eshopps HOB
Return: Rio 1400
Heater: Top Fin 100W with a separate heater control unit.
ATO: Hydor ATO

Corals:
Frogspawn
Duncan
Trumpet
Blastos
Pulsing Xenia
Green Sinularia
Kenya Tree
Assorted Zoas
Silver Eyed Leptastrea
Orange Mushrooms
Superman Mushroom
Unknown Porities
Green Star Polyps

Fish:
Ocellaris Clown - Alice
Six-line Wrasse - Speed
Yellow Clown Goby - Krusty

CUC:
1 larger hermit - Crash
1 Mexican Turbo Snail - Juan
Ceriths Snails
Dwarf Ceriths
Astrea Snails
Bumble Bee Snails (over 2 years old)
Random other snails, blanking on names.

Maintenance:
I do weekly 4.5 gallon water changes with RO/DI water and Reef Crystals. I occasionally have to dose for alkalinity but rarely magnesium or calcium. I run filter socks on my down pipe and I have a bag of carbon I replace every 2 weeks between my baffles as well as a bag of purigen I replace as needed.

Water Parameters:

Temp: 79-80
Salinity: 1.024-1.026
Alk: 9-11
Ca: 420-440
Mag: 1300-1400

Last edited:
OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals seem to be really liking the new light still. Acan, Green Trumpet and Green Sinularia all have filled in nicely and I think the Acan has already had a new head pop up! I am going to try and borrow a DSLR this week to get some better pictures of all the corals. Need a macro lens though. My Six-Line has become a huge jerk recently so good chance he doesn't make the move the 40 Breeder, though he may be nicer in a bigger tank, probably still not worth it? Anyway here is a new FTS but the lights were pretty low when I took it. Right now my lights max out for a few hours at 30% on the royal blues and whites, will bump them up 5% this week.

OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am trying to find a nice torch coral to add to the top right section of the tank but have been struggling locally to find a nice one at a fair price. So hopefully WWC can help me out with this! :D

Will be upgrading to a 40Breeder soon, will need more corals as well haha

#reef2reef #worldwidecorals #mywwccontest

OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I still can't find a nice torch in my area for a price I like but my local LFS had a sale this weekend and picked up a few frags. Not positive where I'll put them but I'll find a spot. More than likely the last corals I buy until I get the 40 later this year. Also made up a quick DIY frag rack with a bit of egg crate and some magnets from an old powerhead I had laying around.

LRM_EXPORT_20170306_095122.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_20170306_095323.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back