OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pick those clamps up at Bulk Reef Supply. He used a bunch of them on his BRS 160 gallon Reef Savvy build. I picked some up and used them on mine.

You can also find them at places like Grainger or Ferguson. I did get mine from BRS. I find it amazing that BRS carries a lot of fittings that the industrial supply houses don’t.

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice start on the build. For not being in it very long and jumping from a Innovative Marine SR60 to your new setup is impressive. Keep up the good work and happy reefing!!! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks! I’ve basically been planning on a bigger tank since the day I got the SR60. My LFS tried to convince me to go bigger right of the bat, but I was a little wary lol

Probably would have been fine with the SR60 for a while, if we didn’t build the new house. When we started designing the new place, we figured if there was ever a time to go big, now was it. Never going to have a better opportunity to do it up right than putting it into the design of the house.

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a question for the group. I'm still considering light options. Right now I'm leaning towards 3 Radion XR30 Pros. Any suggestions?
After seeing the BRS video on the Orphek Atlantic V4 lighting, they might be worth looking at for a 30” deep tank.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! Looks a lot like the my current in wall build. Mine is 77x30x30 though. The tank i've had for a couple years and had it set up as a peninsula but took it down for a remodel and am redoing it as in wall. The light I got for it was a Pacific Sun Pandora Hyperion S T5/LED hybrid. Pacific Sun doesn't have much distribution in the US but they do have some and their fixtures are awesome. I don't know if I just missed it but what are you planning for a skimmer and water flow?

dmcoates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. When you go to stock it there is a pretty good frag swab/sell page on Facebook. Pretty good prices they are selling for. Are you in Anchorage?

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it will be lps dominated tank then led is the way to go. T5 N halide is over kill for lps. Plus the adjustability of led is perfect for lps.

Dan Cyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I'm planning my upgrade from a 60 gallon to a 120 gallon install now and trying to design the stand. I was going to use 2x4 for the frame, but run 2x6's across the top spans for more support. I was wondering what size wood you used for the stand, looks like smaller than 2x4 but hard to see? I see you may have also used leveling feet, if so, what style did you use for all that weight? I just don't want any structural issues in the future with sagging or stress points.

Thanks

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build, as far as lighting I'd suggest a metal halide t5 hybrid or metal halide led hybrid would be awesome. My future 300+ gal build i plan to have a giesemann spectra for sure

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. Love the details and planning. Will be following for sure.
What floors me the most (besides the awesomeness of the tank) is you have a LFS in Alaska and we have nothing near us in Lexington KY. LOL.

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! Looks a lot like the my current in wall build. Mine is 77x30x30 though. The tank i've had for a couple years and had it set up as a peninsula but took it down for a remodel and am redoing it as in wall. The light I got for it was a Pacific Sun Pandora Hyperion S T5/LED hybrid. Pacific Sun doesn't have much distribution in the US but they do have some and their fixtures are awesome. I don't know if I just missed it but what are you planning for a skimmer and water flow?

I’ll have to check those out. Thanks!

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forgot to answer your question. Right now I have a Regal 300SSS. I got it based on BRS’s suggested tank size...it’s HUGE. Can’t wait to get it running.

The plan is to get a Vectra L1 for the return, but I’ll probably have to find something else since they’re having supply issues.

I have two MP40s in it now while soaking rock. They are on the overflow side. I’m thinking it’s not enough. I may get a MP60 and put one of the MP40’s on the back of the tank. I’m trying to keep the power heads somewhat hidden. The return outlets are on the opposite side of the tank, so I’m going to assess the situation once those get running before changing my plan.

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. When you go to stock it there is a pretty good frag swab/sell page on Facebook. Pretty good prices they are selling for. Are you in Anchorage?

Yes in Anchorage. Is there a local Facebook swap page? I don’t do Facebook. I’ll have to have my wife look for it...she’s in charge of social media for the family :)

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it will be lps dominated tank then led is the way to go. T5 N halide is over kill for lps. Plus the adjustability of led is perfect for lps.

Yes, I really have no desire to mess with halides. Good point on the LEDs being good enough for LPS only. That would sure simplify things for me.

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I'm planning my upgrade from a 60 gallon to a 120 gallon install now and trying to design the stand. I was going to use 2x4 for the frame, but run 2x6's across the top spans for more support. I was wondering what size wood you used for the stand, looks like smaller than 2x4 but hard to see? I see you may have also used leveling feet, if so, what style did you use for all that weight? I just don't want any structural issues in the future with sagging or stress points.

Thanks

It’s actually a welded steel stand that I had powder coated white. My LFS fabricated it for me, so unfortunately I can’t answer you questions. Sorry :(

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. Love the details and planning. Will be following for sure.
What floors me the most (besides the awesomeness of the tank) is you have a LFS in Alaska and we have nothing near us in Lexington KY. LOL.

We are super lucky. Tim is pretty old school in his ways, but really know is stuff. He’s been a great help in getting my first tank going and now this new one.

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight’s progress; new whiteboard for the fish room wall. It’s not much, but progress is progress :)

f2a7508ee03288510fed4bbd539b828f.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back