OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build.
Almost makes me want to build a new house so that I can have an in the wall reef and tank room.

Do it! Lol

This house was such a pain to build, plus moving and everything that goes with that. So glad to be done with it...for the most part. Always lots of projects lined up, but I’m hoping this house will last us until the kids are gone in 18 years or so lol

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it! Lol

This house was such a pain to build, plus moving and everything that goes with that. So glad to be done with it...for the most part. Always lots of projects lined up, but I’m hoping this house will last us until the kids are gone in 18 years or so lol

That would go over about as well as a fart in church.
However Valentine' is just around the corner. Maybe I can butter her up a bit, with roses, chocolates and such..lol

I am sure it was a pain.
Did you contract it out or were you the builder?

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would go over about as well as a fart in church.
However Valentine' is just around the corner. Maybe I can butter her up a bit, with roses, chocolates and such..lol

I am sure it was a pain.
Did you contract it out or were you the builder?

I contracted out to a builder. They did a good job. If I ever do it again, I’ll probably general it myself. Some of the subs the builder used just weren’t up to my standards.

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekends project. Added melamine panel to mount electronics on. Still haven’t figured out what I want to do with all of the power transformers. They’re all still just hanging at the bottom until I figure something out.

7e73e60700148c6fdd9865f607edba04.jpg

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much new. Added chaeto to the sump, added some snails and pods to the tank. Working through the cycle.

9bc59d3c23900f4c9982490ffd145f31.jpg

I did add an ATO to my ATO reservoir. A Tunze 8555 RO controller. Tank evaporates 2.5 gals a day, so I was getting tired of filling it every other day. Also I’m going out of town, and now my wife doesn’t need to worry about it.

I saved the extra magnetic float switch mounts that came with my other Tunze ATO’s, and used them instead of the cheesy plastic mount that comes with the 8555. Works perfectly and glad I kept them. Tied the whole thing into the RO system. Also added a float switch inside for a little redundancy.

a7b5d830012fdd0fc1e1e17af89ea950.jpg

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto isn’t doing too good. It’s starting to turn brown, yet there’s a lot of other algae beginning to grow in the sump. Any ideas.

AK_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light is over the sump? Did you get the chaeto from Tim? I got some from him a while back and it had a fair amount of brown/red nuisance algae in it. I had to scrape excess algae out of my chaeto chamber out a couple times and rinse the chaeto in a bucket to get it clean. I also added a few snails to my chaeto chamber and they helped out a lot with the excess algae growing on the walls/bottom. My primary problem has been trying to block light spillage into my skimmer chamber causing algae growth inside the skimmer.
Beautiful build, I cant wait to see your tank with with corals in it. Hopefully you get into sps at some point, it's nice to have more people up here to trade frags with.

instant reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekends project. Added melamine panel to mount electronics on. Still haven’t figured out what I want to do with all of the power transformers. They’re all still just hanging at the bottom until I figure something out.

7e73e60700148c6fdd9865f607edba04.jpg
Can you put a hinge on that board and mount all the power block behind that panel?

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away on vacation for 10 days and just now getting caught up on things. A little bit of progress on things.

Chaeto is all but gone. Sump is covered in film-like green and brown algae. I just dropped in some snails to see if they can clean it up a bit.

I got the chaeto from Algae Barn. I’m thinking it got too cold during shipment. It was nice and green when I put it in the sump. I have a Kessil A80 over it. Runs for about 10 hours at night. Maybe I need to upgrade to an A380?

I did get my quarantine tank stand in. I went a little overboard and designed it out of 80/20. Going to have multiple tanks setup for quarantine, hospital, and holding tanks. Once I get the tanks setup I’m going to start transferring fish from my old tank. I know there’s ich present, so I want to be careful not to contaminate the new tank.

640ad9c35204a6558599799cb88a8eed.jpg

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t you put a hinge ont that board and mount all the power blocks behind the panel?

That’s not a bad idea. I’d have the replace my French cleat, but I bet a piano hinge would work well. I think I’m going to leave it as is for now, and come back to it later.

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while since I’ve posted any updates. Good news is, I’ve started the quarantine process with moving fish from my old tank. Thankfully I only have 5 fish to move. I’m leaving my old tank fallow for 72 days before I start moving corals.

Only about a week until the clowns move into their new home!

e1e6ba9e30d800dc8d1ca5aa8ee1f870.jpg

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank and fish room look great, just found your thread but going back through your build now. can you post a picture of the entire room? i wanted to see the fish room layout. By the way great job on the piping....i am doing mine tonight and still a bit up in the air on final design, but i guess it will be some design/build on the fly..lol

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have another full tank shot as well?

It’s kind of hard to get a good perspective of what’s going on here. The space filled up quickly lol

From doorway into tank room, which is located about 2’ from the left side of the tank.

111ed66f471ba6f51c0169aff3e21532.jpg

From the left side of the room:
22cd78f252cf5477ba84ff56d44175f4.jpg

From the right side:
c0fce15352f7da24f72093eeb5373887.jpg

Still don’t have the cabinetry done, so you can see outside of the room. I hope to make some progress on that tomorrow.

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have another full tank shot as well?

Replied to wrong post above...

I’ll try to get an updated full tank shot tomorrow after I get the bottom panels installed. Right now it’s covered in cardboard and a little embarrassed to post a pic of that lol

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s kind of hard to get a good perspective of what’s going on here. The space filled up quickly lol

From doorway into tank room, which is located about 2’ from the left side of the tank.

111ed66f471ba6f51c0169aff3e21532.jpg

From the left side of the room:
22cd78f252cf5477ba84ff56d44175f4.jpg

From the right side:
c0fce15352f7da24f72093eeb5373887.jpg

Still don’t have the cabinetry done, so you can see outside of the room. I hope to make some progress on that tomorrow.
Very cool, good job. I have found this process to be more difficult than i thought and it takes considerable amount of time as i continue to find problems/challenges as i go including finding space for everything, but i enjoy a challenge. looking good !

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, good job. I have found this process to be more difficult than i thought and it takes considerable amount of time as i continue to find problems/challenges as i go including finding space for everything, but i enjoy a challenge. looking good !

No kidding! We moved in last August and it’s still doesn’t have fish in it lol. I figured it would take a while, but no where near as long as it has.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back