Alexa automation

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else using Alexa as the primary controller? Obviously it’s not going to be able to read probes but I bought a smart power strip for $50 on Black Friday and so far I have used it to time my refugium light and turn off all flow when I say “Alexa, it’s feeding time”. I’m also going to possibly use it to control dosing and as a ATO failsafe (only cuts on 2 times a day for 10-30 seconds). Im just curious to see if anyone else has used this setup.

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: so far so good! I have two wave makers, my main pump, skimmer, fuge light, ATO, and two dosing pumps hooked up to a smart power strip. It is the best thing I’ve ever done. It’s great to be able to control things by voice when your hands are busy. I have also found it to be safer for example: I used to unplug my pump and accidentally leave my skimmer on all the time and it would overflow the skimmer. Now Alexa will not cut the pump off without cutting the skimmer off. I find it hard to believe that nobody has done this yet? I haven’t had a single malfunction in the past three months. This is way better than 100 timers and cheaper than the usual controllers.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least a few people have done this. I've seen it mentioned in various other threads around. I'll see if I can find and I'll link them here.

I plan to do the same general setup with a smart wifi power strip like Kasa. But I'll be using an app/my phone to control everything, instead of alexa.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a few posts on this thread mention control via alexa.
(not sure if you have specific questions but if so, some folks here can maybe offer insight).

Off the top of my head I believe @Ohashimz uses alexa for just about everything reef related. Maybe he can chime in here.

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least a few people have done this. I've seen it mentioned in various other threads around. I'll see if I can find and I'll link them here.

I plan to do the same general setup with a smart wifi power strip like Kasa. But I'll be using an app/my phone to control everything, instead of alexa.
Kasa is what I use. It works great for timers but it doesn’t do seconds, if you link kasa to Alexa then you can do seconds and set a “routine” for instance when I say “alexa, cut off the flow” the skimmer, pump, and both Powerheads are cut off. When I say “Alexa, cut on the flow” she turns the pump and both powerheads on them waits 10 minutes (for sump water level to stabilize) and then cuts on the skimmer. The only real question I have is reliability over time. I made this thread to more less give others the idea to make the maintenance easier and make the tank more automated for relatively cheap. So far I love it and have had no issues.

whitej6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done custom automation work using Alexa and Google assistants, nothing for the aquarium hobby but for work (I’m a senior automation engineer). Really interesting concept to adapt to the aquarium hobby, not something I’d recommend for the novice developer but adding skills for devices that already work with a voice assistant shouldn’t be too bad.

r33fermadness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else using Alexa as the primary controller? Obviously it’s not going to be able to read probes but I bought a smart power strip for $50 on Black Friday and so far I have used it to time my refugium light and turn off all flow when I say “Alexa, it’s feeding time”. I’m also going to possibly use it to control dosing and as a ATO failsafe (only cuts on 2 times a day for 10-30 seconds). Im just curious to see if anyone else has used this setup.
Yes Alexa controls my tank

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Google Assistant vs Alexa, and relay banks to cut low voltage vs power strips.
Could you explain what you mean by that? I have a pretty good understanding of electronics minus the IT part of things.

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done custom automation work using Alexa and Google assistants, nothing for the aquarium hobby but for work (I’m a senior automation engineer). Really interesting concept to adapt to the aquarium hobby, not something I’d recommend for the novice developer but adding skills for devices that already work with a voice assistant shouldn’t be too bad.
They have made it very easy if you use kasa and Alexa. I don’t consider myself an IT guy but it was pretty easy to set up.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you explain what you mean by that? I have a pretty good understanding of electronics minus the IT part of things.

Rather than controlling the outlets that a bunch of power bricks or wall worts plug into, I've consolidated all of those transformers to one larger 24vdc power supply and buck converters to step down to various voltages.

I use a Sonoff 4CH Pro to control those feeds to my equipment. The Sonoff gives me access to it from my Google Assistant where I control my devices just like any other smarthome device, though I believe it supports Alexa as well.

The Sonoff is nice as it works about to about $7.50 per controlled device, and it has 3 modes of operation.

1) controll individually on/off
2) 1-16 second pulse
3) automatically turn the active device off before activating another

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than controlling the outlets that a bunch of power bricks or wall worts plug into, I've consolidated all of those transformers to one larger 24vdc power supply and buck converters to step down to various voltages.

I use a Sonoff 4CH Pro to control those feeds to my equipment. The Sonoff gives me access to it from my Google Assistant where I control my devices just like any other smarthome device, though I believe it supports Alexa as well.

The Sonoff is nice as it works about to about $7.50 per controlled device, and it has 3 modes of operation.

1) controll individually on/off
2) 1-16 second pulse
3) automatically turn the active device off before activating another
Ah I understand now. I just bought a smart power strip so each plug is controllable. But your setup could pull way more amps if needed.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I understand now. I just bought a smart power strip so each plug is controllable. But your setup could pull way more amps if needed.
I also have battery backup for the entire system built in, as well as dry contacts for AC fail and low battery because I repurposed an old fire alarm power expander.

My low battery contacts will eventually have a last resort battery powered bubbler through them, so if all else fails, and I've run out of all other power, at least there will be gas exchange.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back