Algae causing zoas to close?

cubbyman60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
It looks like some type of algae is covering some one of my zoa frags. What would you recommend? Peroxide dip? If so, how do you recommend I do it. Thanks for your input.

zoa.jpg

Milkmanskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dipped a drag of mine to kill some bryopsis. I honestly just squeezed some peroxide into a bowl of aquarium water until I felt like it was enough and dipped for 10 minutes and out back in the tank. Right or wrong it worked and never effected the corals themselves

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place the frag in a bowl of tank water and add peroxide until you see the frag start to fizz

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those ones are not algae but green cyano so..yes they could cause that issue
@twilliard could help you
And sorry to twilliard to all my calls to him
Hey no problem I get called on all the time.
That looks to be a cyanobacteria but could not say which species. I have a hunch on one but of course not positive :)

Jonathan Presseau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently battled that very thing. I did not dip at all. I did not know it was cyano (until now) as it does not blow off until it is quite weak. I dose KNO3 to fight red cyano so I believe that is what weakened it. I added 3 astreas and 3 ninja stars and they demolished the remains. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
C

cubbyman60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I can see from the images why it looks like green cyano, however, I don't think it actually is. It's in a very high flow area. I'm going to dip and scrape the rock to see what it is. Thank you.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always send a sample off to be identified-a lot of colleges with water departments will do it :)

OP
OP
C

cubbyman60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always send a sample off to be identified-a lot of colleges with water departments will do it :)

I already put it in peroxide, which seems to have melted most of the "algae" away. I'm still waiting for the zoos to recover. Is that true,though, that some departments will identify it. That would solve a lot of "what algae is this" threads!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol yes, I went to a small liberal arts university in Ohio that did research from all the lakes/rivers around us. We could ID native species and algae. It would only make sense that universities on the coasts could do the same.

Rhaegar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a problem with Cyanobacteria exactly what you have pictured. To get it off the the zoas I used an eye dropper to blow (underwater) it off. I wasn't too aggressive but I was persistent and it blew right off with no damage to the zoa. I also got a fighting conch and the Cyanobacteria was going in a matter of days.

Dallaswinefan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a problem with Cyanobacteria exactly what you have pictured. To get it off the the zoas I used an eye dropper to blow (underwater) it off. I wasn't too aggressive but I was persistent and it blew right off with no damage to the zoa. I also got a fighting conch and the Cyanobacteria was going in a matter of days.

I'd love to get a fighting conch. How does it interact with your other tank mates?

Rhaegar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ignores everything pretty much. He just scoots along the sand bed and buries himself at night time.
Sometimes he bumps into stuff moving around but he is very chill

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back