Algae issues? Why dont more people use algae scrubbers?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ATS could definitely be a part of the solution.
Hey jason! I bought your old scrubber from you years ago. Recently sold it when i moved and I switched to cheato, less work/maintenance for me. You still using a Floyd Turbo? That thing was awesome.
I was just curious if scrubbers helped with other algae only because everyone seems to mention hair algae and not others.

corey

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to derail this thread anymore than it has been... but that is my position and experience as well.

I tried every dosing and filtration method that one could imagine. At one point I had basically an IV type setup dripping at an extremely low rate into 3 nested progressively higher micron socks at the intake of the 6' counter current skimmer with another sock at the outflow. I still almost killed the Scopas tang (now ~12+ years old) that is still with me.

And what's crazy about it all are some have reactions and some don't. I didn't have any issues with my yellow belly blue hippo tang, desjardini sailfin, and chocolate tang when I've used it in the past. Dossing in front of skimmer intake. But I 100% agree to proceed with caution.

Only thing I've ever had that affected any of my tangs was Acid washed lignite or Rox possibly giving my yellow belly HLLE.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jason! I bought your old scrubber from you years ago. Recently sold it when i moved and I switched to cheato, less work/maintenance for me. You still using a Floyd Turbo? That thing was awesome.
I was just curious if scrubbers helped with other algae only because everyone seems to mention hair algae and not others.

corey

That was the R3 L4 which I liked a lot. I'm absolutely still running and loving the R4ish L8. I'd love to get an R5 from @Turbo's Aquatics too.

It's just another form of export. It uptakes major, minor, and trace elements. It releases other stuff like oxygen and carbons. If exporting nutrients and elements affects anything is the grand question. IMO, yes it does and could affect things positively or even possibly negatively. The idea is the algae on the scrubber out competes other stuff. There's no dial to say exactly what it will out compete.

Like I do water changes to remove and add stuff I can't test for. I also add a lot of stuff the in the form of food. More then my water changes can keep up with but helps with. The algae harvesting seems to help export the extra stuff that water changes aren't keeping up with. I could increase to 100% water changes monthly or more but that would be excessive and expensive. 30% water change plus algae harvesting weekly seems to be doing to just fine.

My best testing kit are my eyes for all these things beyond what I can easily test for.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

corey

Scrubbers do work on other algaes besides hair, but not all. For me I see no impact on bubble algae, which I still have a little of

Now…is it actually helping, and would I have significantly more bubble algae without the scrubber…who knows. It’s possible

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This surf 2xx is no bigger than my hand. I'll be able to run my skimmer, this, and 7" filter sock. SWEET! I am glad that external skimmer was busted up as it would have been a waste of $500. I hope that this Surf is big enough. I can always get another which he recommends as opposed to upsizing. I'm stoked!

Attachments

• 20231223_141653.jpg
    20231223_141653.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone had any motivation on building their own DIY "algae reducer", here is a pic of a bigger one, than the one that I am already using, that I put together today with stuff I already had.

it's made out of a plastic refugium from a tank I broke down earlier this year. I used a soldering pencil to melt a hole on the bottom of it to fit the hose from the water pump. I also used the soldering pencil to melt a slot across the entire length of the plastic refugium (warning it smells bad!! and use a tip that you don't plan on using again besides melting plastic).
This slot is about 1/4"-1/2" above where the plastic knitting screen will be, so the water will rise up through the algae (if/when algae starts building up on it) and then exit through the slot.
I Put pieces of PVC pipe in the inside corners of the refugium to keep the piece if plastic knitting screen from falling into the refugium. Cut the knitting screen to size, scuffed it up with a belt sander, and added two wire ties to be able to lift it out of the refugium when it's time to harvest. Put a light on it, and voila!!
20231223_192928.jpg

Now, I do not know if it's going to work better, worse, or the same as my smaller DIY "algae remove" yet. We shall see!!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was an entertaining thread! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Quick question... Today I ordered a Drop 1.2x for my 60g cube. Looking for pump recs. The Tetra recommended on SM's site gets some pretty horrible reviews. Just wanted to see what other options I might look at. Or what specs to look for.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was an entertaining thread! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Quick question... Today I ordered a Drop 1.2x for my 60g cube. Looking for pump recs. The Tetra recommended on SM's site gets some pretty horrible reviews. Just wanted to see what other options I might look at. Or what specs to look for.
I’m using a slip.7 which is similar and ordered this pump. It’s water resistant and has a built in battery backup

Working good and I have algae growing after 14 days. Will need another 1-2 weeks approx to get full coverage

hygger USB Rechargeable Battery Aquarium Air Pump Kit 2W 3W, Quiet Portable Backup Air Bubbler for Fish Tank Fishing Bait Bucket Emergency Aerator 5-100 Gallon https://a.co/d/6BfyFug

119C4FF3-3C27-436E-991A-6A8BE3042388.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back