ALK spike every morning

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to figure out what's going on w/ my tank's alk every morning. it seems like every day from 12am to 6am the tank gains a lot of alk but then by 12pm it looses all of those gains. What I don't get is, i turn off my alk dosing from 12am-6am and my kwalkwasser is being dosed at a constant rate from 12am-12pm. my lights don't turn on till around 12pm. what could be causing this spike and then drop? TOday jsut for fun i decided to have trident run a test at 8am and it seems like by 8am, all of those gains from 12am-6am were gone.

Trident is set to test every 6 hrs 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6pm. the only exception is the last test which was 8am.

This isn't a huge change, its like maybe .25 dkh change, just curious what could be causing this.

Capture.JPG

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk will raise your alk. I'm guessing that when the kalk is running during the night, your corals aren't consuming as much calc/alk, hence the spike.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but what woudl cause the drop from 6am-12pm when my lights dont turn on till 12pm? The tanks not sitting in a well lit area of the house.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually what woudl cause the drop from 6am to 8am when there's basically no light in that area of the house other than some ceiling lights.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but what woudl cause the drop from 6am-12pm when my lights dont turn on till 12pm? The tanks not sitting in a well lit area of the house.

Corals ramping up calcification during the day.

Could also be other things, such as the feeding schedule and fish excretion of ammonia some time later when they digest the food.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually what woudl cause the drop from 6am to 8am when there's basically no light in that area of the house other than some ceiling lights.

It's well understood what things add and deplete alk, but I would not try to over interpret small changes.

FWIW, I cannot see these fine time distinctions on your graph. Some of the wiggling may just be test error.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back