alk test kit's - salifert vs API vs lamotte

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
figured i would share what i found when compairing the test kits.
basically all this started when i suspected a salifert kit i had may be bad, so i tested the 7.1 solution that comes with the kit and got like a 9.2 dkh reading or so :neutral:
so got the spare api kit out and it read 7 dkh at the time, about a week back or so
after all that i figured i would just bite the bullet and get a lamotte alk kit, have heard good things about lamotte so figured it aint worth messing with and recieved it today
results as follows in dkh
API - 7.5 dkh (color change was in between 7 drops was a green tinge with yellow but 8 drops was really bright yellow so im sticking with 7.5) :nerd:
lamotte - 8.0 dkh
salifert - 9.6 :eek:oh:
so needless to say salifert kit is bad as suspected, again the 7.1 solution read like 9.2 dkh when i tested it LAST WEEK. tank has been fine so thank god i did not try to make any adjustments
now it could be that i just got a bad test kit but i will say this is the same issue i had with salifert when i stopped using them a couple of years back or so when they had that bad run, so for those that use salifert i would test the kit against the 7.1 solution that comes with the kit ever so often
I am going to have to borrow someones elos kit just for giggles, so i think i am sold on lamotte :smile:

Last edited:

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well given the fact that the Salifert was reading 2.1 dkh high, you would then subtract that from any other test resuts...9.6-2.1=7.5dkh. Seems to be working just fine as long as you figure in the difference between the control and the actual readings.

LPS_Lover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatabout the digital ALK test from Hanna? I have one, and tested it against asalifert and API. They all were within .5 of each other.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like your Salifert test kit is bad. I have both Salifert and LaMotte test kits but will probably be getting the Hanna alkalinity tester that LPS_Lover references, next. Also note that Salifert tends to read a little bit higher than the others because it uses a different end point for the test. Apparently, salt water requires a lower pH end point as compared with fresh water when determining alkalinity. From what I've read, Salifert uses this lower end point, whereas the others do not. I've also considered getting a laboratory grade automatic titrator and running the tests myself.

CJ

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatabout the digital ALK test from Hanna? I have one, and tested it against asalifert and API. They all were within .5 of each other.

Ditto to this as well. I tested my against API and the Hanna reading was pretty close. Fast accurate and easy...Hanna all the way!

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna is nice, I'd go with that over any of the above. I've also used Salifert and never had the problems others have had with them.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from my understanding it's just a matter of using the 7.1 solution to provide your offset with Salifert. So if you're consistently measuring 2.1 dkh high on the 7.1 solution, then you just have to calculate your offset as CJ said. That's what I do and never had a problem- but I admit I just use salifert because I do, haven't ever really compared against others, so thanks for this write-up!

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dum question, when your testing ALK using Salifert 7.1 solution, do you just replace the same amount of saltwater with the testing solution (4ml?), and then continue with the instructions as normal?

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Lamotte !!!!! Salifert ALK kit is just plain bad! Stay away, unless you want a tank crash and loose your prize corals!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dum question, when your testing ALK using Salifert 7.1 solution, do you just replace the same amount of saltwater with the testing solution (4ml?), and then continue with the instructions as normal?

Not a dumb question at all man! But yes- you're exactly right- just follow the instructions to the letter, just use the calibration fluid in place of water from your tank. The only other thing is titrate it to color normally, then figure out if you have an offset (as in you get a 9.2 reading, then you know your tests will be off by 2.1.) If you do get an offset, I'd highly recommend running it two or three times- don't trust your first result.

+1 Lamotte !!!!! Salifert ALK kit is just plain bad! Stay away, unless you want a tank crash and loose your prize corals!

Wow- scathing review, can you explain why? I use salifert and have quite a nice collection going on for over 2 years trusting in the salifert tests, so at the least I'd have to disagree with your conclusion.

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the hanna have the same setup as the phosphate tester where you have to mix the powders and buy refils?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the hanna have the same setup as the phosphate tester where you have to mix the powders and buy refils?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

They have modified the alkalinity test and now use a liquid for the reagent. I wish they would change the phosphate test to be the same. You do have to buy refills.

CJ

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow- scathing review, can you explain why? I use salifert and have quite a nice collection going on for over 2 years trusting in the salifert tests, so at the least I'd have to disagree with your conclusion.

Here's my recent experience with ALK test kits. Recently, I checked my alkalinity with two test kits, my Salifert says 9.6 and Elos is saying 7.5. Next, I tested the Salifert kit with the 7.3 test solution and it registered it at 9.4. Then not happy with the results I bought another Salifert test kit and it's now saying my alk is 15+!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I tested the kit with the 7.2 test solution and the kit came out at about 2.8 dkh! With recommendations from R2R members I bought a LaMotte kit (Awesome). Then, I did a test with all four kits and here is what I got. LaMotte gave a reading of 175 which is 9.80, one Salifert was 10, second Salifert kit said 16 + and ELOS was 9. Also, Last year I went through the same thing with Salifert and I had a kit register over 16! The kit is unusable at this level, even with the test solution. Just my .02

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 45.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back