Alkalinity?????

urbanjaybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have questions about alkalinity and getting to target and then maintaining.

I get that it’s more important for a stable number as opposed to a higher lower number, but my question is this.
Let’s say I want a level of 9 but my salt only mixes at 7. I can add bicarbonate in order to raise the tank level, but would water changes deplete the amount along with the coral use?

should I be raising the alkalinity in my new salt water prior to the changes?

if I have a tank that uses x amount and I’m replenishing that through kalk or 2 part dosing, should that dosing amount be a bit higher to accommodate the water change amount?

am I just over thinking all this?

thanks

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can doctor up your water change water.

What percentage of water changes? Small ones won't make much of a difference

OP
OP
U

urbanjaybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can doctor up your water change water.

What percentage of water changes? Small ones won't make much of a difference
I am about 10-15% a week now.
I was thinking for future reference as I start to populate the tank with more coral.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have questions about alkalinity and getting to target and then maintaining.

I get that it’s more important for a stable number as opposed to a higher lower number, but my question is this.
Let’s say I want a level of 9 but my salt only mixes at 7. I can add bicarbonate in order to raise the tank level, but would water changes deplete the amount along with the coral use?

should I be raising the alkalinity in my new salt water prior to the changes?

if I have a tank that uses x amount and I’m replenishing that through kalk or 2 part dosing, should that dosing amount be a bit higher to accommodate the water change amount?

am I just over thinking all this?

thanks
Why not just change to a salt that mixes higher?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just change to a salt that mixes higher?
But yes, given the scenario you presented, if you don't want to lower your Alk with each water change, you'll need to add more, either to the new SW or to the tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 10-15% a week now.
I was thinking for future reference as I start to populate the tank with more coral.
A 10% water change using 7 dKH mix on a tank that has 9 dKH. The new alk will be 8.8 dKH

OP
OP
U

urbanjaybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was planning on using a higher salt. I currently only have a few frags so no big consumption yet. But from the reading I have come across here I see a lot of people liking TM pro reef salt and was wondering the approach to how those handle the lower Alk in the mix versus the higher demands.
I am currently using Red Sea blue but looking into switching to the Red Sea pro, but I also would like to mix some salt and be able to keep longer than a day at times.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was planning on using a higher salt. I currently only have a few frags so no big consumption yet. But from the reading I have come across here I see a lot of people liking TM pro reef salt and was wondering the approach to how those handle the lower Alk in the mix versus the higher demands.
I am currently using Red Sea blue but looking into switching to the Red Sea pro, but I also would like to mix some salt and be able to keep longer than a day at times.
Look at Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing salts is never a good idea.
Salt is salt, don’t fall for “this salt is better” thing. It’s just not true.
Stick with one salt and dose upwards to meet your target.
I use RS Black Bucket and even with dosing, can maintain a 10dkh easily.
I’m not a fan of dkh on the low end, no wiggle if it drops.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing salts is never a good idea.
Salt is salt, don’t fall for “this salt is better” thing. It’s just not true.
This makes no sense to me. I'm not suggesting one salt is "better" overall, but why wouldn't you change to a salt that has the basic parameters you want, rather than continue to use a brand that you ALWAYS have to adjust? Seems like simpler is better...

(If the salt with ideal parameters for a particular tank cost a significant amount more than a different salt plus augmentation, then I can see where the argument could be valid, but it still adds another point of failure/human error...)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes no sense to me. I'm not suggesting one salt is "better" overall, but why wouldn't you change to a salt that has the basic parameters you want, rather than continue to use a brand that you ALWAYS have to adjust? Seems like simpler is better...

(If the salt with ideal parameters for a particular tank cost a significant amount more than a different salt plus augmentation, then I can see where the argument could be valid, but it still adds another point of failure/human error...)
I don’t do regular water changes so the salt mix has little impact on Chemistry. It was just way easier and cost effective to add back only what’s coming out.

In a newer system, water changes will work well but as the system grows, you’ll get to a point where no salt will keep your numbers stable.

With a large coral load, your going to be dosing anyways, just a matter of how much.

I use the salt that’s easy to find and always available, and, at a reasonable price.

Some of the best systems run on the lowest cost salts.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t do regular water changes so the salt mix has little impact on Chemistry. It was just way easier and cost effective to add back only what’s coming out.

In a newer system, water changes will work well but as the system grows, you’ll get to a point where no salt will keep your numbers stable.

With a large coral load, your going to be dosing anyways, just a matter of how much.

I use the salt that’s easy to find and always available, and, at a reasonable price.

Some of the best systems run on the lowest cost salts.
Agreed. But for the OP, to say not switching salt at this point seems short sighted.
I use IORC, one of the least expensive brands ;)

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about a automatic alkalinity tester that also will add a KH buffer when needed. I recently got a Kamoer KH Carer and really like it. I have it testing three times a day at this point but I am planning on backing off to once or twice a day. I was manually dosing the buffer once or twice a week before. Also my system does auto water changes three times a day. They are so small that I don't worry about the temp or alkalinity of the fresh saltwater. I use Reef Crystals as the salt mix. The fresh saltwater tank is in my garage along with my DI water tank so both ATO and AWC come from the garage which is not heated or cooled.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second Erin1971Texas. Decide what dKH and other parameters you want and choose salt closest to that.
BTW, Red Sea Coral Pro dKH is too high for my personal liking.

OP
OP
U

urbanjaybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. But for the OP, to say not switching salt at this point seems short sighted.
I use IORC, one of the least expensive brands ;)
Yes. Being so early in the beginning stages I was more concerned with doing it right the first time. I’ve read plenty of posts and know that asking which salt to use over another is almost as entertaining to watch responses to ad the hobby is itself.
I have my salt mixing down to a process that mixes up in a brute. I would like to mix it, use some for my changes the. Keep some for other options like replenishing when using tank water to acclimate and such. That was my reason into looking for changes. But then also was wondering about keeping the higher Alks when the salt is lower to begin. We all know the easier it is, the more likely we are to do it.

in my testing with my limited corals I’ve seen my Alk only around 6.7. The fresh mixes have only been at 7. I’m not using enough currently to dose, but was wanting to get higher and maintain higher. So I was wondering while keeping my salt that I have now, I have 2 buckets, should I slowly increase to where I want to keep it then adjust my salt mixes to match, or did the mix not really matter and just concentrate on the DT chemistry and raise there as needdd.

Thanks for all the responses and Happy New Year!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Being so early in the beginning stages I was more concerned with doing it right the first time. I’ve read plenty of posts and know that asking which salt to use over another is almost as entertaining to watch responses to ad the hobby is itself.
I have my salt mixing down to a process that mixes up in a brute. I would like to mix it, use some for my changes the. Keep some for other options like replenishing when using tank water to acclimate and such. That was my reason into looking for changes. But then also was wondering about keeping the higher Alks when the salt is lower to begin. We all know the easier it is, the more likely we are to do it.

in my testing with my limited corals I’ve seen my Alk only around 6.7. The fresh mixes have only been at 7. I’m not using enough currently to dose, but was wanting to get higher and maintain higher. So I was wondering while keeping my salt that I have now, I have 2 buckets, should I slowly increase to where I want to keep it then adjust my salt mixes to match, or did the mix not really matter and just concentrate on the DT chemistry and raise there as needdd.

Thanks for all the responses and Happy New Year!
I highly recommend you switch to a different salt. There are lots of threads already (plus some BRS videos) about the parameters of different salts as well as how long you can store the mixed saltwater. Look into these and then go with something that seems to make sense to you.
Alk of 6.7-7 is really pushing the lower end of the recommended range for healthy coral. As @Uncle99 said, if you start out with low Alk, there's no wiggle room before it drops to levels that can harm coral health.

Good luck, and it's great you're already thinking about what your tank will need in the future :)

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't throw away your salt. You can add Sodium bicarbonate to DT definitely, there are calculators (for example on BRS website), how much you should add. As for your mixing salt container, it should be completely dissolved and you can also add sodium bicarb.
Change salt when you use your 2 buckets. Whatever you do, do not change params too much, too fast.
Happy New Year to you too!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back