OP
U

urbanjaybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing to 1.026. I recalibrate the Refractometer with each test using BRS solution. I’m using Salifert tests for ALK and also had LFS test as I thought same thing with low results.
1 thing I haven’t done was test the 2nd bucket I have, which I will be doing now.
And I did mix the whole bag of salt prior to use.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was planning on using a higher salt. I currently only have a few frags so no big consumption yet. But from the reading I have come across here I see a lot of people liking TM pro reef salt and was wondering the approach to how those handle the lower Alk in the mix versus the higher demands.
I am currently using Red Sea blue but looking into switching to the Red Sea pro, but I also would like to mix some salt and be able to keep longer than a day at times.

Don't bother getting caught up in the tropic marin salt hype. Just pick one with the levels you like

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing to 1.026. I recalibrate the Refractometer with each test using BRS solution. I’m using Salifert tests for ALK and also had LFS test as I thought same thing with low results.
1 thing I haven’t done was test the 2nd bucket I have, which I will be doing now.
And I did mix the whole bag of salt prior to use.
Something is off imo based right off the bucket at 35 ppt. You said you mixed the whole bag...idk..something is off. Maybe the calibration solution? Evaporation can cause the salinity to rise in the solution but that wouldn't' explain lower numbers... :thinking-face:

OP
OP
U

urbanjaybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is off imo based right off the bucket at 35 ppt. You said you mixed the whole bag...idk..something is off. Maybe the calibration solution? Evaporation can cause the salinity to rise in the solution but that wouldn't' explain lower numbers... :thinking-face:
My last batch of salt tested at 7.8.

OP
OP
U

urbanjaybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always supplement (ie: dose) additional alkalinity as needed. Most of us try to choose a salt that mixes close to our desired alkalinity, though (as has been mentioned).
I am going to doctor it up until my buckets are done, then use a salt that has higher, closer to what I’m going to target

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back