Alkatronic Users Thread

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently wanted to get my Alkatronic controlling my CalRx. I had used this feature in the past, but the Bluetooth power module had flaked out on me and I had discontinued using it. Even if I could get it working properly again, I am not sure I would ever trust it again.

In the past I had hooked up my Alkatronic to a Milwaukee MC125 PH/ORP controller, intending to use the PH controller to serve in place of the Bluetooth module. I never ended up using it though as my Milwaukee model is limited to a high setting of 8.0 PH. This was lower than I was running at the time. Yesterday I had an idea on how to get my Milwaukee working acceptably with the Alkatronic. I simply biased the PH calibration on the Milwaukee to be 1.0 PH units lower than the Alkatronic was sending over the coax. I did this by adjusting the PH 7.0 calibration pot. So now when the Alkatronic sends 8.95, my Milwaukee reads it as 7.95. I watched each test yesterday and confirmed that as the Alkatronic reading decreased, the bias between it and the Milwaukee remained -1.0 PH. Problem solved.

I should mention that before I intentionally introduced the offset, I calibrated the PH controller against the Alkatronic's output port calibration function and had it matching.

The real reason I am posting this is not to highlight the challenges with my archaic Milwaukee, but to mention that they now make a Pro version that supports a high reading of 9.5 for toggling the power outlet. This is in range of typical alkalinity without having to intentionally mess with the calibration.

You can see the updated Pro version here: Milwaukee MC122 PRO pH Controller

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along this helpful news.

Dennis

Marlon_Holland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Restart the Alkatronic
2. Wait for BT connection
3. Clear the wifi credentials and press save
4. Enter the wifi credentials and press save
5. Enable alerts for ”dKH high” and ”dKH low”, and press save
6. Kill app
7. Restart Alkatronic again. DO NOT OPEN THE APP NOW.
8. Wait for a few minutes (still do not connect with app)
9. Check in router to see if you can see “raspberrypi”, if you do, Alkatronic now
communicates with your router
These steps worked for me
Thanks I will try these steps.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the Alkatronic/Focustronic guys read this thread.

Can you add the PH into the online site graph as a secondary line please? The PH range that most tanks fall into should be able to use the same scale as typical dKH ranges. A scale on the right for PH could be added where they differ too much.

You have it displaying in the History already, so graphing it seems like a logical thing to do and would give a nice means of easily tracking PH.

Dennis

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the Alkatronic/Focustronic guys read this thread.

Can you add the PH into the online site graph as a secondary line please? The PH range that most tanks fall into should be able to use the same scale as typical dKH ranges. A scale on the right for PH could be added where they differ too much.

You have it displaying in the History already, so graphing it seems like a logical thing to do and would give a nice means of easily tracking PH.

Dennis
They already plot the line. I think it required an upgrade to the firmware on the Alkatronic a while back. Check your version and see if that is the case.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They already plot the line. I think it required an upgrade to the firmware on the Alkatronic a while back. Check your version and see if that is the case.
I am curious what version you have loaded in your Alkatronic? I am running v03.02.04 which I thought was latest.

Dennis

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me replace the tubing on my alkatronic pumps? I used the online videos to do the bigger pumps C and A. But I can’t figure out how to get to the hose on the smaller pumps B and D. I am concerned that I might break something if I don’t know what I am doing.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me replace the tubing on my alkatronic pumps? I used the online videos to do the bigger pumps C and A. But I can’t figure out how to get to the hose on the smaller pumps B and D. I am concerned that I might break something if I don’t know what I am doing.

Twist the whole green part anti clockwise a 1/4 turn & you'll feel it can then come out.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I just figured it out as well.
Then there is also a little clip you slide out from the plastic dome that holds in the tube. It's definitely not as easy to replace as the A & C pumps. I've also found that sometimes the replacement tubes come dry and seem to bind up the pump motors a bit, so I add a little silicone grease to the tubes before replacement.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then there is also a little clip you slide out from the plastic dome that holds in the tube. It's definitely not as easy to replace as the A & C pumps. I've also found that sometimes the replacement tubes come dry and seem to bind up the pump motors a bit, so I add a little silicone grease to the tubes before replacement.
The clips were the hard part for me. But I eventually figured them out. I felt the grease in there too. I’ll get some for next time.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DivingTheWorld How often are you replacing tubing? I went double what the counter recommended this time. There was some abrasion on a couple tubes but never had a leak or lost calibration. The D tubing on my system hardly ever gets used so I might go longer on that one next time.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DivingTheWorld How often are you replacing tubing? I went double what the counter recommended this time. There was some abrasion on a couple tubes but never had a leak or lost calibration. The D tubing on my system hardly ever gets used so I might go longer on that one next time.
I follow the general guidelines, 6 months for A & C, 12 months for B. I don’t dose with the Alkatronic so D is never used. I also replace the interior lines for pump C at the same time as I replace the internal pump hose. I’ve had small frays in the lines allow for some air bleed in causing results to be off. So I make sure those are new every 6 months. I think that’s been updated in the manual now too.

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New owner here of all the alkatronic stuff (Alkatronic, Mastertronic and Dosetronic) and a couple of questions someone on here might know the answer to:

-I need the D pump from the Alkatronic because I have other plans for the Dose. I have a Deltec kalk stirrer so I'm thinking if using this pump to push RO water through it. I'm not using much, mostly zoa's and lps. I've heard this D pump is limited, but how so? In ml over time? Precision? It looks better quality than other dosing pumps I've used in the past.

-Is anyone trying to dose multiple elements automatically with the Master\Dose combo? I want to try and dose calc\magn\carbon\phos ex and iodine based on the mastertronic results. So use the Alka with kalkwasser for daily corrections, and to up the pH. Dose calc\magn to change levels when required, do a daily dose of iodine, and use carbon and phos ex to control nutrients. Just wondering about other people's experiences.

-I have bought and traded the set second hand. Calibrated and updated everything without issue. But the Alka is shouting about hose replacement. I'm thinking about changing the hoses for all 3 devices. Does anyone know the diameters? I'm thinking it would be a lot cheaper in the long run to order some length of peristaltic pump hose and reuse the connectors. 1 piece of hose is 10 to 15 bucks, times 14 every 6 months, seems like something worth looking into?

Mad Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those still having issues with WIFI connection and cloud access, if your units is a second hand, you have to tell the previous owner to login into the cloud and unlink the alkatronic from his account. Then you will be able to register the system under your account and will be displayed correctly on cloud. This is exactly what happened to me, after a couple of hrs trying and I was sure that the system was connected to my router, this was what fixed the cloud connection.

Hope this can help somebody.
How do you unlink Alkatronic from your account? Thanks

Mad Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those still having issues with WIFI connection and cloud access, if your units is a second hand, you have to tell the previous owner to login into the cloud and unlink the alkatronic from his account. Then you will be able to register the system under your account and will be displayed correctly on cloud. This is exactly what happened to me, after a couple of hrs trying and I was sure that the system was connected to my router, this was what fixed the cloud connection.

Hope this can help somebody.
How do you unlink Alkatronic from account? Thanks

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That function is in the Alkatronic app. The owner/previous owner needs to open the app - and delete the serial number/device from that account.

Mad Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That function is in the Alkatronic app. The owner/previous owner needs to open the app - and delete the serial number/device from that account.
Thanks for the information. I am in the App but can't figure out how to delete serial number/device from my account

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the information. I am in the App but can't figure out how to delete serial number/device from my account

Access the Alkatronic online and then go to settings, there you will see the unlink option. Press that and save.

4A38BDAB-E337-44F9-92F2-8A7B3AB8D84A.png

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back