All for reef and Ozone generator

mingc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all R2R reefers, i start dosing AFR 2 month ago, during these 2 months,the PH always stay 8-8.15 day n night. 2 weeks ago i started using the ozonizer(125mg/H for only one hour a day) in my 135 total gallon reef, PH drop to 7.92-8.02 day n night since the day of ozonizer started... i unpluged the ozone last week, the PH went back to 8-8.13 day&night, due to blu & green slime algae i turn on ozone again yesterday but only let it on for 20 minuts a day, PH DRO again to 7.95-8.06. i have readed a direction of AFR,it says that:"All-For-Reef is a balanced source of calcium and carbonate hardness, released through natural biological processes". i doubt about the ozonizer killing or cut off the natural biological processes that AFR was rely on. thanks for watching and any helps will be strongly appreciate!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no issue using ozone or a uv with AFR. Plenty of suitable bacteria or other microorganisms that consume the formate will be bound to surfaces once dosing has been ongoing for a bit.

OP
OP
M

mingc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no issue using ozone or a uv with AFR. Plenty of suitable bacteria or other microorganisms that consume the formate will be bound to surfaces once dosing has been ongoing for a bit.
Thanks Randy for answering my question! I'm using ozoniser to kill the massive blue-green slime cyanobacteria that were all over the bare bottom and whole walls, will ozone gas has been generated from this generator stay within the tank for a certain minuts that affected(killing) the cyanobacteria on the surface within my tank?

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley, Hi Randy, do you know if ozone generator will reduced the iron and manganese, been using ozone little over 6 months, most of my red and blue gonipora die but green gonipora were all doing good. thanks! (sorry ming for using your thread!)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley, Hi Randy, do you know if ozone generator will reduced the iron and manganese, been using ozone little over 6 months, most of my red and blue gonipora die but green gonipora were all doing good. thanks! (sorry ming for using your thread!)

Ozone has the potential to impact trace elements, by changing the oxidation state and the way it is potentially bound by organics, but the effect would be complex and not clearly raising or lowering bioavailability.

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you think it's wise to add some extra iron and manganese into the system weekly when continually using the ozone in reef tank as some reefer's recommendation? it's the last question thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it's wise to add some extra iron and manganese into the system weekly when continually using the ozone in reef tank as some reefer's recommendation? it's the last question thanks!

I think it is a fine experiment, regardless of ozone.

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're all set with Randy's answers.

I'll just add that I've run all4reef with and without ozone and didn't notice any difference. Also, I haven't seen ozone have any impact on cyano.

So, basically Randy I'm echoing Randy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back