All of my fish keep dying, parameters seem fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I think more then anything you need to get your tank cycled. I used the cheap safe start plus stuff from petsmart and it worked fine haha. Just dumped the whole bottle in. You might want to look into getting some pure ammonia. I got a life time supply(with how much you'd use in a tank) for like 3 bucks at ace hardware haha. That way you can continue to feed the bacteria that eats ammonia while the bacteria that eats nitrite populates then so on. I think the bacteria that eats nitrates is incredibly slow to populate and just comes with age.
I would recommend the pure ammonia and not the bottled bacteria.... except .....that you have corals in your tank. ammonia will kill them too. Your 6 week plan is sound. Just feed each day and watch your nitrate, since it will climb. Water changes are your friend here.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's already got coral in the tank. So hopefully he won't be watching them die. I wish you luck! It was incredibly frustrating at the beginning but now I'm so happy to have the tank. Already prepping to get a bigger one haha

Mikeinthekeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must ask you. How old is your tank. It seems that you have not properly cycled. The only way to properly cycle a tank is time. My tank is over 2 years old, ammonia and nitrate levels always remain at a constant 0, never had any casualties. I recommend starting with some cheap fish, perhaps some damselfish since they are so hardy, but once cycled until ammonia and nitrate are a steady 0,I would remove them.

OP
OP
discchord

discchord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must ask you. How old is your tank. It seems that you have not properly cycled. The only way to properly cycle a tank is time. My tank is over 2 years old, ammonia and nitrate levels always remain at a constant 0, never had any casualties. I recommend starting with some cheap fish, perhaps some damselfish since they are so hardy, but once cycled until ammonia and nitrate are a steady 0,I would remove them.

Must you? That's odd, because it was stated in the second sentence of the first post. You go on to recommend starting with damsels; which, if you read any further than the title, you'd know I had. I am now deeply fascinated by your drives and motivations. Why must you?

There have been a lot of great insights shared in this thread, from knowledgeable aquarists who truly thought about my situation, as I've laid it out here. But I'm disappointed, and more than a little annoyed, by how many people simply failed at reading comprehension, or reading at all. I'm desperately looking for guidance in stemming the continued loss of my pets and several people here felt they should just chime in, without actually having anything productive to contribute. Where does that come from? What would prompt someone to behave like this? What was going through your head? "Ah that's an interesting title. You know what, I'll just skip to page 4 and answer the post title." I ignored about a half-dozen inane comments in this thread, but yours was world class and worthy of contemplation.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must you? That's odd, because it was stated in the second sentence of the first post. You go on to recommend starting with damsels; which, if you read any further than the title, you'd know I had. I am now deeply fascinated by your drives and motivations. Why must you?

There have been a lot of great insights shared in this thread, from knowledgeable aquarists who truly thought about my situation, as I've laid it out here. But I'm disappointed, and more than a little annoyed, by how many people simply failed at reading comprehension, or reading at all. I'm desperately looking for guidance in stemming the continued loss of my pets and several people here felt they should just chime in, without actually having anything productive to contribute. Where does that come from? What would prompt someone to behave like this? What was going through your head? "Ah that's an interesting title. You know what, I'll just skip to page 4 and answer the post title." I ignored about a half-dozen inane comments in this thread, but yours was world class and worthy of contemplation.

Wow buddy.

The fastest way to discourage others from contributing is that post right there. This is a public forum, we encourage members to become involved. You get to choose what is of value to you, and what to disregard. My advice is to appreciate every member that took the time comment.

OP
OP
discchord

discchord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I took that tact too for the most part. If you go back through this thread you will see several examples of extremely low effort comments from people who obviously didn't read anything before them. I ignored them, and I tried to be gracious to everyone in my summation, back on Page 3: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...rameters-seem-fine.321853/page-3#post-3987259

Then on Page 4 this guy shows up musting at me.

The fastest way to discourage others from contributing is that post right there.

I can see how expecting people to read a thread they are contributing would discourage contribution. It is my hope that this only includes those that fail to meet this basic requirement. What possible contribution could come in a comment from someone who hasn't even read the second sentence in a 4 page thread?

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a cycling issue. If it is cycled properly, ammonia should not be an issue in a smaller tank that is not overstocked and not overfed. I have used Dr Tims in all of my aquariums and have never had an issue when following their instructions. I buy directly from them as I trust that will be the "freshest" product. I have always done the "24hr ammonia to zero" test prior to adding fish (using their ammonia product).

I would feed sparingly at first. The fish will not starve being fed every other day and it ensures that there is not leftovers breaking down.

I don't recall seeing anything about your skimmer. How is that working? Producing skimate?

OP
OP
discchord

discchord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall seeing anything about your skimmer. How is that working? Producing skimate?

Aside from it being noisy, the IM Ghost Skimmer does produce a nice thick-frothy skimmate. It started performing best when I began to use Kalkwasser in my ATO, about 3-4 weeks ago, and since then it has been consistent. There is some nasty stuff getting pulled out of the water column every night.

Mikeinthekeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck with your tank of DOOM bro!!!! Muahahaha

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reading comprehension? Guess you didn't comprehend how to cycle a tank. You're just taking shots at people left and right. Threads aren't exactly the best place to get comprehensive feedback. A lot of people give misdiagnosis, half-baked plans, or are just filling random gaps with piecemeal. You've also been very reluctant to accept information throughout this post. I may sound rude but I was in your same spot a year ago and if you humble yourself (at least until you've actually have had fish live more than a week) you might end up being more successful at reef keeping. Good luck.

OP
OP
discchord

discchord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people give misdiagnosis, half-baked plans, or are just filling random gaps with piecemeal.
Hence...
You've also been very reluctant to accept information throughout this post.

The prevailing opinion in this thread was that the tank needed a much greater cycling period.
Your conclusion was that the tank needed a much greater cycling period.
My conclusion was that the tank needed a much greater cycling period.

We all got their in the end and I thanked you.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hence...

The prevailing opinion in this thread was that the tank needed a much greater cycling period.
Your conclusion was that the tank needed a much greater cycling period.
My conclusion was that the tank needed a much greater cycling period.

We all got their in the end and I thanked you.

It's frustrating, I know. You'll sort it out soon enough and then be on to the next issue. You should get a soft cycle (hair algae, diatoms, and maybe red slime), then you'll have calcium/alk fluctuations, and if all goes right (seems like you care so it will go right) you'll balance out at about the 1yr mark. Just know that you'll get good and bad advice on here but to accept it all as constructive.

OP
OP
discchord

discchord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I failed to respond to your diatom comment earlier: There was a serious bloom all over my sand and rock about a month ago. My trochus and cerith snails feasted for a week!

Fortunately no cyano yet! There was some hair algea up until yesterday, when one of my asterina snails found a patch. She must have liked it because she hunted down the other patches! There isn't a shred of it left.

There is a little bit more browning on the rocks today, but my trochii are busy skating all over the glass. I think I had a something bacterial happening last night because the glass and water were a bit foggy. I cleaned the glass this morning, now there is still a slight haze in the water.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I failed to respond to your diatom comment earlier: There was a serious bloom all over my sand and rock about a month ago. My trochus and cerith snails feasted for a week!

Fortunately no cyano yet! There was some hair algea up until yesterday, when one of my asterina snails found a patch. She must have liked it because she hunted down the other patches! There isn't a shred of it left.

There is a little bit more browning on the rocks today, but my trochii are busy skating all over the glass. I think I had a something bacterial happening last night because the glass and water were a bit foggy. I cleaned the glass this morning, now there is still a slight haze in the water.

That is still your first cycle. The second "soft" cycle comes way later and is much more aggravating. Your tank will look pristine for about 3 months and then BAM, new headaches.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang guys chill. @Tahoe61 came in here and advised the OP on how we typically act around here. What she didn't do was tell people it was okay to hop in and just start trolling. Just let a sleeping dog lie and move on.
Amoo, re-read the op's response to @Tahoe61 and you'll see who's trolling who.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amoo, re-read the op's response to @Tahoe61 and you'll see who's trolling who.

My message was both to basically anybody who posted after Taho61 did, OP included. He'll learn that a poor attitude will find him with threads full of little helpful advice as people with serious knowledge to offer will see his name and just not post if he is dismissive and argumentative all the time. I think your post about humbling yourself a little bit was good information.

I myself commented in this thread 3/4 times, and I was probably done, as I came to the same conclusion you did. That said we still should all be respectful of each other's opinions and grateful people are willing to spend their time helping us, even if it isn't the best of help. The other attitude is what I left when I came to this forum full time., our attitude here is what makes this place different. If somebody posts something silly, ignore it and move on. If they post a question you answered in literally line 1, ignore it. If you come across a thread you're turned off by, move on. It's that little bit of extra respect for each other here, that makes this forum different. I think that is all Tahoe was trying to say.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My message was both to basically anybody who posted after Taho61 did, OP included. He'll learn that a poor attitude will find him with threads full of little helpful advice as people with serious knowledge to offer will see his name and just not post if he is dismissive and argumentative all the time. I think your post about humbling yourself a little bit was good information.

I myself commented in this thread 3/4 times, and I was probably done, as I came to the same conclusion you did. That said we still should all be respectful of each other's opinions and grateful people are willing to spend their time helping us, even if it isn't the best of help. The other attitude is what I left when I came to this forum full time., our attitude here is what makes this place different. If somebody posts something silly, ignore it and move on. If they post a question you answered in literally line 1, ignore it. If you come across a thread you're turned off by, move on. It's that little bit of extra respect for each other here, that makes this forum different. I think that is all Tahoe was trying to say.

All true. Seems like the OP has accepted the good advice and filtered the rest. Glad we all came to reasonable conclusions. OP, sorry if I was rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 49.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back