Fish dying :(

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I’ve had my saltwater tank running since October of last year. So far it’s been going well, had a bacteria bloom 2 months ago, but still fish were fine. I was noticing that my snails weren’t lasting for long, however, other inverts (ie. crabs, urchin) have been good. I got a purple anthias 2 months ago and I honestly did not think it was going to live because of its weird behaviour(isolated, didn’t eat), however, it pulled through but then recently died last week. Then 2 days ago my hippo tang randomly died, and today I noticed my fairy wrasse has been hiding all day, which I feel like is not a good sign. The only fish doing well at this point is my clown fish. I’m stressing out and don’t know what to do. I tested my water parameters, everything seemed ok but I tested for magnesium and it seemed a bit high, and nitrates were also slightly high too, around 25ppm. Could there be a silent killer in the tank? I’ve been so consistent with water changes and water testing , I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong and it’s so disappointing to see all my fish dying.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this.

Have you noticed any sing of disease or sickness? (Not eating, breathing heavy, ETC?)

Have you added any live rock into the tank and if so, where was it from?

Have you found the carcasses from the dead fish?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RODI? Could be a reason for snails dying if not.

As for the fish we will need more information. If possible can you post some white light photos and a video of current fish? Also please look through this post.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I’ve had my saltwater tank running since October of last year. So far it’s been going well, had a bacteria bloom 2 months ago, but still fish were fine. I was noticing that my snails weren’t lasting for long, however, other inverts (ie. crabs, urchin) have been good. I got a purple anthias 2 months ago and I honestly did not think it was going to live because of its weird behaviour(isolated, didn’t eat), however, it pulled through but then recently died last week. Then 2 days ago my hippo tang randomly died, and today I noticed my fairy wrasse has been hiding all day, which I feel like is not a good sign. The only fish doing well at this point is my clown fish. I’m stressing out and don’t know what to do. I tested my water parameters, everything seemed ok but I tested for magnesium and it seemed a bit high, and nitrates were also slightly high too, around 25ppm. Could there be a silent killer in the tank? I’ve been so consistent with water changes and water testing , I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong and it’s so disappointing to see all my fish dying.
Nitrate at 25ppm won't kill fish .

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this.

Have you noticed any sing of disease or sickness? (Not eating, breathing heavy, ETC?)

Have you added any live rock into the tank and if so, where was it from?

Have you found the carcasses from the dead fish?
So I’ll state what I noticed. I had a black clown a while back, this was the first one to die. I noticed when it was a day or 2 before it died, it looked like the black parts of its skin were almost lighter. When I looked at the body after death, it did look lighter. As for the anthias - it was weird from the first day I put it in the tank. It stayed in the corner and I honestly never saw it eating. But it lived for 2 months. The hippo tang I noticed some dark spots on its face, it seemed perfectly normal, then it died randomly. And the wrasse now has been hiding, I just fed them and it didn’t come out so Im anticipating it’s going to die. It has shown no signs at all. I have found all fish after they died. The only thing I’ve added a month ago was some old dry coral, and some bigger shells for my hermit crabs. I also have been adding vitamins that apparently help with HLLE which was what I suspected my tang to have

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RODI? Could be a reason for snails dying if not.

As for the fish we will need more information. If possible can you post some white light photos and a video of current fish? Also please look through this post.

I’ve been using RODI, I actually get it from my local pet store. I will share a video shortly.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ll state what I noticed. I had a black clown a while back, this was the first one to die. I noticed when it was a day or 2 before it died, it looked like the black parts of its skin were almost lighter. When I looked at the body after death, it did look lighter. As for the anthias - it was weird from the first day I put it in the tank. It stayed in the corner and I honestly never saw it eating. But it lived for 2 months. The hippo tang I noticed some dark spots on its face, it seemed perfectly normal, then it died randomly. And the wrasse now has been hiding, I just fed them and it didn’t come out so Im anticipating it’s going to die. It has shown no signs at all. I have found all fish after they died. The only thing I’ve added a month ago was some old dry coral, and some bigger shells for my hermit crabs. I also have been adding vitamins that apparently help with HLLE which was what I suspected my tang to have
What are you feeding your fish?

And on regards of the hippo tang, what did you feed it?

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are complete parameters including salinity? What size tank? Don't add anymore fish until you identify what is going on. Pics or video of sick fish under white light
My salinity is a bit high it’s 1.027
Ammonia seemed to be 0
pH was 8.2
Nitrite was 0
Nitrate 25ppm
Temp 31.4 C

I don’t have any videos of my sick fish.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an overstocked 30 gal reef that did fine at those temps in the summer. But, its very risky, any higher and oxygen will be completely depleted and at those temps bacteria in the water will proliferate at a crazy rate.

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, that ph at that temp at that salinity can lead to higher toxic ammonia concentration, even if a tiny amount of free ammonia is present.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back