Almost Completed!!

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am so sad/bummed/mad at myself. We have lost all the fish in the tank. I think it was an internal parasite infection... it all happened so fast. DEVASTATING

So my new plan. Still going to go with the 185, I have a 40 g tank that I will set up as a QT tank. So a few questions:
Do I need to cycle the QT tank? I have the equipment to get it up & running soon.
What is the best way to sanitize the tank and the equipment in it?

Man... I am really feeling this.. it hurts really bad and I feel like I let them all down. Don't think I will forgive myself for this one. I do want to try again though, hopefully with better success next time.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Feel for you. Take it slowly and rebuild. Good luck.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people use clay pots to make clown fish eggs easy to move

That is true, but usually people that do that put their own pots and they cure them before introducing in the aquariums, clay is very porous and absorb chemicals that then can leach back when used in different aquariums.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!! Thought this was a supportive community. I haven’t slept in days I realize they are not video games I’m not 14 years old.
Look obviously you all did it right your first time out too... sorry I wasted your time.

This is a supportive community and lots of people had helped you giving lots of very good advise.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much!!! I know I’m being over sensitive but..... thank you.

I did add a bit of carbon to the HOB about 1/2 cup into a bag. I have the flow set on medium. I have been using the API test kit, do you have a recommendation on a better testing system? I noticed that the Seachem Ammo Alert is not registering at .25 is shows 0. I think that’s part of the frustration.

I threw in another capful of prime & stability before heading to bed. The guys at the local shop said you can’t really use too much in this type of situation.

Thanks again to all and have a great night!!

Since you’ve added Prime and stability I think it’s highly unlikely you have ammonia present.

I would get a salifert Ammonia test kit. I think your API test kit probably isn’t accurate at low levels :)

OP
OP
S

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you’ve added Prime and stability I think it’s highly unlikely you have ammonia present.

I would get a salifert Ammonia test kit. I think your API test kit probably isn’t accurate at low levels :)

I was able to track down the salifert kits for Nitrites & Ammonia. Both read 0. The API test was off. I am ordering the other salifert kits online, no one carries the full line right now, I quess they are hard to get from suppliers.

My fox face still has the bulging eyes and is splotchy. I have some seachem matrix & paraguard on the way. Should have them later today.

Thanks again. Will keep you updated

OP
OP
S

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of Roxie... the last one standing:
4AB6C2DA-74A4-41C9-9B07-4C8697B9320A.jpeg

OP
OP
S

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a supportive community and lots of people had helped you giving lots of very good advise.
You are absolutely spot on with your comment. I was really upset at you primarily for insinuating I was treating this issue and my tank as a video game. I was super freaked out that I couldn’t get rid of the Ammonia, all along it was as simple as checking it with a better test.

I enjoy this forum and realize I am a novice here. I felt that your comment was degrading and hurtful. I teach for a living, so I may see this in a different light then intended, but I would never say something like that to someone just starting out.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to track down the salifert kits for Nitrites & Ammonia. Both read 0. The API test was off. I am ordering the other salifert kits online, no one carries the full line right now, I quess they are hard to get from suppliers.

My fox face still has the bulging eyes and is splotchy. I have some seachem matrix & paraguard on the way. Should have them later today.

Thanks again. Will keep you updated

Excellent news, well done! :).

OP
OP
S

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the another update on this thread. Everyone has passed, I think we had a case of velvet disease. I am devastated at the losses, it has been a really rough weekend. I still can't shake the immense feeling of letting my fish down.

I started a dose of Formalin MS on Saturday being SUPER careful and following dosing instructions. I have read that if there are no fish present in the tank, the life cycle of the parasite or bacteria will die off. I still have the two anemones and the cleanup crew. I am discontinuing the dosing to give them some time to recover from the first dose.

My plan going forward is to do a 25% every week. After the 45 days are up, I will use the 75 as my QT, removing all the rock. I was thinking I might use a 40 I have laying around for the QT, still debating on that. I will be setting up the 185g DT at the same time. I think I will cycle it for 60 days, just to be sure all is well. I will move that discussion to the New Tank Forum.

Thanks again for all your support. I really am taking all your advice to heart and have learned some really hard but valuable lessons. Much Gratitude to you all!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the another update on this thread. Everyone has passed, I think we had a case of velvet disease. I am devastated at the losses, it has been a really rough weekend. I still can't shake the immense feeling of letting my fish down.

I started a dose of Formalin MS on Saturday being SUPER careful and following dosing instructions. I have read that if there are no fish present in the tank, the life cycle of the parasite or bacteria will die off. I still have the two anemones and the cleanup crew. I am discontinuing the dosing to give them some time to recover from the first dose.

My plan going forward is to do a 25% every week. After the 45 days are up, I will use the 75 as my QT, removing all the rock. I was thinking I might use a 40 I have laying around for the QT, still debating on that. I will be setting up the 185g DT at the same time. I think I will cycle it for 60 days, just to be sure all is well. I will move that discussion to the New Tank Forum.

Thanks again for all your support. I really am taking all your advice to heart and have learned some really hard but valuable lessons. Much Gratitude to you all!
So sorry to hear, I experienced a major loss like that 3 years ago...killed my mojo for reefing for a year

OP
OP
S

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear, I experienced a major loss like that 3 years ago...killed my mojo for reefing for a year

Oh I am so sorry!! I am still going forward with the large build... but I have to say I find myself looking for them every morning and throughout the day... it sucks. Thanks for the support Sleepy, means a lot!!

I have to say this site rocks! I don’t know what I’d have done without all the help & support here... thanks Sleepy

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am so sorry for your loss, you did not let anyone down, is part of the cycle of the hobby and part of the lessons we need to make to get better, keeping reef tanks is not easy task actually reef is the most complex ecosystem in the planet. I am a scuba diver since 1998 and is mind blowing that every time I dive I discover or learn lots of new stuff down there.
In the past 5 years i have made lots of mistakes and leaned a lot, I have the blessing to live in Orlando where in less than 20minutes I can drive to two of the best LFS in the world, TSA and WWC.

Based on my experience this is what I do:
  • Never buy any livestock from unknown seller, online or LFS. (disease that wiped out the tank).
  • Never get any livestock for free, I do it only from other reefers I personally know and can see their tanks (coral pest that wiped out all my softies and LPS).
  • I don't mix my salt, I like the low maintenance approach doing few waters changes a year, so I only buy saltwater from TSA even if its more expensive they have great quality checks and is always on spot. (after one of my wipeouts did a 75% water change with salinity at 1.050 due to my mistake and was lucky to get it before it did any damage, but could have been a terrible outcome if I had fish).
  • Have power backup (hurricane Irma took power down for 2 weeks and I struggled to keep the tank alive).
  • Take it slowly, don't rush, on my first year I cant remember how many SPS frags I killed because my tank was not ready, until I realized that only going slowly I was not able to understand that those tanks that you see in YouTube were years in the making.
So don't feel down, regroup and take this time to plan how good your tank will look in 6 months. keep the build going I am following along.

OP
OP
S

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Difrano.. I was a diver as well, did lots here in Northern California. Had to I stop when my knee went out but hoping to recertify after my knee replacement.

Your advice is spot on. I do like the idea of only buying and doing water changes a couple times a year. It would sure save some money!!!

I also plan on investing in a higher quality test kit. I think that is money well spent. I am not going to corals based on the fish I plan to add eventually, but I am unsure if I should be using the Seachem Reef 1 & Reef 2 additives. I need to research anemones a bit more. We have a great Coral shop here in town & since they sell fish it may start being the go to for the Clownfish & Tang. They sell smaller fish so I think we may go there to support them.

Thanks again for the sound advice. Much gratitude!!!

OP
OP
S

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE ARE BACK IN BUSINESS!!!!

Hi everyone, sorry it has been a while, but I wanted to step back, review mistakes I made and restart on the right foot. In the meantime I had a full knee replacement, so that kind of set things back a bit. Currently the plan is still to install the 185 in the garage with a section of the wall cut out to view from the living room. The 75 that was decimated has now become the QT. After everyone passed I decided to remove most of the sand and just allow it to sit and cycle for about a month. With school and the knee it was easy to do.

In the meantime I was able to tear out part of the drywall and closet where the 185 will be located. I am going to post up pics for those interested in seeing the process, although I am not a contractor and you will definitely want to ask opinions of others if you attempt this. I have a flat roof with solar panels on it and I believe the wall is load bearing, but more about that later.

I did have one sole survivor a small green tip bubble anemone that is still going, albeit not looking great. I have begun the Seachem Reef Fusion 1 & 2 regimen and that seems to have helped bring the Ca++ up, which in turn seems to be helping the little green guy.

Last week was the first trip out and of course we went to our LFS. It was great to see everyone there and after doing some research before heading out I decided that some Chromis would be a great addition to the large tank eventually and they were in the beginner category of fish. We were lucky, they were on sale and so I picked up 5 small guys. It has been great watching schooling fish as they play and roam throughout the tank without larger fish getting in their way.

The only additional equipment added was a large Aqua Clear power head to provide some flow at the top of the tank. The wave maker is about 1/3 of the way down on the other side and set up to provide moderate flow to the anemone and cycles every 9 minutes.

I also went out and purchased an RO/DI unit. When I factor in gas and the cost of buying it from the LFS, it made sense to bite the bullet and purchase one, especially as we move towards the larger tank. I really like that I know the water will be consistent and I can make it on demand. It produces 75 GPD, so plenty for what the needs will be, with the added bonus of having RO water to brew beer with... WIN WIN in this house!!!

So here are a few pics. I will post up more as we move forward... super stoked to be back!!!

IMG_1600.JPG

OP
OP
S

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a pic of the QT. Going through an algae bloom right now, phosphate was around 8 but with a few 10% water changes it is around 3 now.

Current housing 4 BG Chromis; 1 blennie; a 2” GSP & around 15-20 snails & crabs. Everyone will be going into the DT.

176A91A6-E92F-4DE0-8350-DE471B417BF8.jpeg 9C4E752D-E048-4E6F-AEF6-92280078B3CF.jpeg

OP
OP
S

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the wall is almost done!! Super excited to get the wall painted and then the tank in place. Here’s a few updated pics. The one with the insulation are in the garage. I’m contemplating whether or not to put up a vapor barrier on the garage side to protect the insulation. Any suggestions?

E576266E-836A-4F6A-948F-202119B302E0.jpeg F285286D-9E4C-4E27-9C84-A8AA82604838.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back