Am I the Idiot - Dwarf Angelfish and Shrimp

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My adult son stopped by to celebrate my wife’s birthday, and of course we're looking at the tank. He has a tank as well, so he knows a thing or two. I’m telling him that I picked up a peppermint shrimp a couple weeks ago and haven’t seen a single sign of the shrimp. He looks at me with a puzzled look and states as a matter of fact, “You have a dwarf angel (Flameback), and he ate it.”

Now have I been misinformed about dwarfs eating shrimp? I know sessile invertebrates are at risk, but didn’t think shrimp were on the menu. Is my son right, making me an idiot? :oops:

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My adult son stopped by to celebrate my wife’s birthday, and of course we're looking at the tank. He has a tank as well, so he knows a thing or two. I’m telling him that I picked up a peppermint shrimp a couple weeks ago and haven’t seen a single sign of the shrimp. He looks at me with a puzzled look and states as a matter of fact, “You have a dwarf angel (Flameback), and he ate it.”

Now have I been misinformed about dwarfs eating shrimp? I know sessile invertebrates are at risk, but didn’t think shrimp were on the menu. Is my son right, making me an idiot? :oops:

No clue about the angel but when I got my peppermints they hid out really well for a week or two. One in particular that was super tiny I was sure was dead, sucked through a powerhead or some such horror. It was finally a chance glimpse of one swimming by at night (I love night watching the tank) when I finally got to declare "THERE'S TWO! WE HAVE TWO!" I still only ever really see them at night, even knowing where they hide during the day. There might still be hope!

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how small the shrimp was, it could have easily been eaten by something. I watched my royal Gramma and melanarus wrasse pick off my peppermint one by one as I mistakenly added them during daylight hours.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Theyre usually fine with shrimp, ive never had any issues with mine. Itd be possible if the shrimp was really small

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flameback lives with a skunk cleaner and a fire shrimp, though both are quite large. I've never heard of them being bad with shrimp. Peppermints are really good at hiding though. Go on a flashlight hunt for him late at night.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 112 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.1%
Back