Anthias bully

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C0B3A324-6E88-4AA7-986C-D69EBAEBF2E4.jpeg
I have three female anthias in a 10 gallon QT. Three females with one much larger than the rest. She has bullied one so bad it just hides now by the PVC . What to do?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a piece of egg crate in there to separate the fish until qt is over. Had a Starry Blenny beating up a Goby. Did the divider. The SB kept trying to get at the Goby. Eventually it gave up and now they are in the DT together. Pretty much ignore each other now.

Chrishvacman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias can be agressive towards each other they have an hierarchy where the weakest one can be bullied when multiples are in one tank the size of your tank can affect the severity of this. I prefer one male to one or two females or one male of one species and one female of another for example i have one square pink and one Lyretail Anthias in my 320 with no issues they dont even look at eachother.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is possibl you have two males, Anthias groups should only be one male most of the time. Some species like Lyretails sometimes will kill off the smaller/weaker one and so on up the chain. Some like Bartletts allot of times all turn male and kill each other.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are females in the pic. Usually getting females is the best way to keep the peace. Thwy will decide for themselves who will turn into males. All too often I have seen people buy one male with a couple females only to have a dominant female fight and kill the male.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are females in the pic. Usually getting females is the best way to keep the peace. Thwy will decide for themselves who will turn into males. All too often I have seen people buy one male with a couple females only to have a dominant female fight and kill the male.

Do I put them all in the DT ? Or do I just go with two?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should get better once they are in the dt, but seperate them for the time being while in qt.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up the eggcrate to separate them. So the one that was getting bullyed was by herself. I check the tank this AM to find them all in the same section!! :eek:

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I think she is not well. I see a raised blister type sore on her body.

64C5B208-D535-4501-A9D4-AC14C1815574.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use NFG (nitrofuracine green) powder for raised bumps and sores. Furan2 is the closest thing to it thats more readily available. But I'd give it a bath in Ruby Reef Rally first and then dose the NFG. It may have scraped itself pretty good squeezing by the egg crate. So now your concern is a possible beginning of a bacteria infection.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 120 81.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back