Anthias Not doing well

americnjewl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning we found one of the ignite anthias ... Not in good shape. Any ideas?

We found him down by the goby's cave. Dorsal fin looks pretty shredded, pectoral fins are extended, his coloring is paler than normal, and he's breathing heavily. Catching him was a bit of a challenge as he had the energy to evade. We put him in a hang over isolation container that we thankfully just bought.
20230709_091439.jpg

20230709_091425.jpg

OP
OP
americnjewl

americnjewl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to go make breakfast for the fam and the container tilted and he got out. Caught him again but it looks like something tore at his belly. Now I'm wondering who the aggressor is.

Key suspects, mostly because of their tendency to get the zoomies and dart toward the fish and their interest in the container.
Pixy Hawkfish
Midas blenny
Fairy wrasse

20230709_103155.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I went to go make breakfast for the fam and the container tilted and he got out. Caught him again but it looks like something tore at his belly. Now I'm wondering who the aggressor is.

Key suspects, mostly because of their tendency to get the zoomies and dart toward the fish and their interest in the container.
Pixy Hawkfish
Midas blenny
Fairy wrasse

20230709_103155.jpg
It has been a victim of aggression and I can vouch the hawkfish is your culprit. I have a few anthias and lost two in the past with both being battered by a falco and longnose hawk. They for some reason seem to have a hatred for anthias and I dont recommend hawk and anthias in same tank. Anthias may or may not make it based on its appearance.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see, it sure looks like aggression.

I agree, the hawkfish is looking really interested in the anthias!

Jay

OP
OP
americnjewl

americnjewl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, he didn't make it :crying-face:

Despite the LFS saying it was most likely the blue green cromis or the other two anthias, I really think the hawkfish is the culprit. He behaves berry territorially... over the whole tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back