Magnesium dosing for hippo tang eye injury

Hippotang114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you add if your magnesium level is fine? Just trying to help injury heal. Also have inverts in the tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much do you add if your magnesium level is fine? Just trying to help injury heal. Also have inverts in the tank.
It's not helpful to add Mg in a saltwater environment. Unless you're talking about a protocol I haven't heard about? Also can you post some pictures under white light to see what might be going on - and perhaps put up a little more history

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It will not contribute to healing as a healthy fish will often heal on its own. Mag is used to prevent calcium carbonate from building and forming and mainly to help of calcium and alkalinity balance keeping the levels at a stable setting

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

As mentioned, adding magnesium to help with eye issues is a technique that is used with freshwater fish (where Epsom salts are sometimes used). It doesn't have any effect in marine tanks that are already high in magnesium, but the idea got misapplied.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone, but if you pour the Magnesium in your eyes, you won't see the eye problem on your fish that will most likely go away on it's own as long as you do nothing to that fish. Fish eyes normally heal quickly :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back