Any benefit for soaking dry rock

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m slowly acquiring what I need to set up my reef tank. But during that time which could be up to 6 months before I have everything, would there be any benefit once I get my dry rock to get it into some salt water?

Was planning on getting reef saver rock from BRS.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to soak it in salt water specifically, but it can’t hurt. I soak my dry rock in RODI to saturate it and remove any dust etc overnight before using it.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m slowly acquiring what I need to set up my reef tank. But during that time which could be up to 6 months before I have everything, would there be any benefit once I get my dry rock to get it into some salt water?

Was planning on getting reef saver rock from BRS.
For a new tank, I always soak the dry rock in boiling light saltwater, then let it set for two days, and I never had any clouding or other issues when I put in tank.

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...up to 6 months before I have everything, would there be any benefit once I get my dry rock to get it into some salt water?

Here's the question to ask: why wouldn't you?

Maturity takes time, so may as well start the process as soon as possible. Dump the rock into something with a lid (to lessen evaporation), cover the rock with salt water, and run a small powerhead/flow pump in there just to keep things moving. Then maybe toss a raw shrimp in there.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boiling rock can be hazardous to your health, but soaking it in saltwater to get the cycle going is useful.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would some rock in a bucket with a heater, a light, and pump. You can start aging the rock in the bucket. If you decide to feed the bucket with fish food, be sure to watch the phosphate level so you don't start the tank off with phosphate soaked rock.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would some rock in a bucket with a heater, a light, and pump. You can start aging the rock in the bucket. If you decide to feed the bucket with fish food, be sure to watch the phosphate level so you don't start the tank off with phosphate soaked rock.
Adding a heater is what most people do. All these stores online likes you to cure the rock for about 4 weeks, after 2 days I test for ammonia and if that's at 0 in the tank the rock goes.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a heater is what most people do. All these stores online likes you to cure the rock for about 4 weeks, after 2 days I test for ammonia and if that's at 0 in the tank the rock goes.

Rock only needs to "cure" if the rock was previously used. Otherwise there is no organic matter to worry about.

OP
OP
boisblancboy

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess what I was thinking was to soak it just to make sure there is not phosphates. I’ve seen where others have had phosphates leech out. Why not double check.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back