7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish eye swelled IMG_1009.jpeg IMG_1008.jpeg IMG_1007.jpeg
It can be caused by a strike injury or gas supersaturation. If no other fish in the tank have an eye issue, and since only one eye is affected, it is probably from an injury.
If it becomes infected (red/cloudy) you can treat with erythromycin in a treatment tank. If it is from an injury, there is no treatment, although some cases improve over time.
Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be caused by a strike injury or gas supersaturation. If no other fish in the tank have an eye issue, and since only one eye is affected, it is probably from an injury.
If it becomes infected (red/cloudy) you can treat with erythromycin in a treatment tank. If it is from an injury, there is no treatment, although some cases improve over time.
Jay
Thank you only one in Aquarium that has it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you only one in Aquarium that has it
Big gas bubbles like this may not go away on their own. I’ve tried releasing the gas with a needle, but it always comes back for me.
Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big gas bubbles like this may not go away on their own. I’ve tried releasing the gas with a needle, but it always comes back for me.
Jay
reference my ick or fluke ( its been a mystery for 3 years) etc in my 600 tank case you give me advice on this,
Can you please help me with this question I know I'm a pain, I am in 15 day of copper safe at 2.5 still have fish dying with no outer signs of parasites. Can I use praziquantel with the copper safe and what would be the dosage for 600 gallon fish on DT ( and days when redo dosage ). Please accept my thanks on this matter I'm at the point of calling it quits. Thanks again Carl for your time.

PS I agree with you Coppersafe appaers to be more stable in it reading loss everyday than copper power, running UV & protein skimmer doesn't seem to weaken the dose as much as it did with Copper Power!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reference my ick or fluke ( its been a mystery for 3 years) etc in my 600 tank case you give me advice on this,
Can you please help me with this question I know I'm a pain, I am in 15 day of copper safe at 2.5 still have fish dying with no outer signs of parasites. Can I use praziquantel with the copper safe and what would be the dosage for 600 gallon fish on DT ( and days when redo dosage ). Please accept my thanks on this matter I'm at the point of calling it quits. Thanks again Carl for your time.

PS I agree with you Coppersafe appaers to be more stable in it reading loss everyday than copper power, running UV & protein skimmer doesn't seem to weaken the dose as much as it did with Copper Power!

I p[refer to not mix coppersafe and praziquantel, but it can be done. You need to ensure that the tank has rerally good aeration, and praziquantel powder is better than prazipro in this use.

Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I p[refer to not mix coppersafe and praziquantel, but it can be done. You need to ensure that the tank has rerally good aeration, and praziquantel powder is better than prazipro in this use.

Jay
Am I able to run protein skimmer and UV with Praziquantel ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I able to run protein skimmer and UV with Praziquantel ?
No, turn off the UV and remove any carbon filtration. You should still run your skimmer, but don’t collect the skimmate, let it flow back into the tank - you want the aeration that provides, but you don’t want to skim out the prazi particles. After 3 days, you can go back to normal operation.
Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, turn off the UV and remove any carbon filtration. You should still run your skimmer, but don’t collect the skimmate, let it flow back into the tank - you want the aeration that provides, but you don’t want to skim out the prazi particles. After 3 days, you can go back to normal operation.
Jay
Thank you ,then repeat 7 or 8 days from first treatment?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ,then repeat 7 or 8 days from first treatment?
Yes, that’s how I dose it. I’ll often change 25% of the water and dose it on day 8.
Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s how I dose it. I’ll often change 25% of the water and dose it on day 8.
Jay
Just did a copper test with Hanna (Copper Safe using) been between 2.25 and 2.48 for 15 days (I test everyday ). last night dosed praziquantel in tank, Copper test today went to 2.94, can the praziquantel give me a false reading since no extra copper was dose in tank at 2.43 reading. Thanks Carl

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a copper test with Hanna (Copper Safe using) been between 2.25 and 2.48 for 15 days (I test everyday ). last night dosed praziquantel in tank, Copper test today went to 2.94, can the praziquantel give me a false reading since no extra copper was dose in tank at 2.43 reading. Thanks Carl
I’ve never seen that happen. Prazi doesn’t change the color of the water, so it shouldn’t affect a color metric test like that. I presume you are using the high range Hanna test?
Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen that happen. Prazi doesn’t change the color of the water, so it shouldn’t affect a color metric test like that. I presume you are using the high range Hanna test?
Jay
yes on high range Hanna its weird because for 15 days straight was in the range 2.25-2.48 then after praziquantel added using DMSO to dissolve powder gives me a reading of 2.94 12 hours after. And I only used a little dims from 1 ml dropper.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes on high range Hanna its weird because for 15 days straight was in the range 2.25-2.48 then after praziquantel added using DMSO to dissolve powder gives me a reading of 2.94 12 hours after. And I only used a little dims from 1 ml dropper.

I would not use DMSO to dissolve the prazi, I don't know of any commercial medication that incorporates it. Even ethanol as a solvent for prazi can be an issue. At least be sure to aerate the tank very well. I use a brine shrimp net to express the prazi through it into the water....

I can't say what the reaction would be that would cause copper to *rise* - neither DMSO or Prazi contain elemental copper. The only thing that *might* happen is the DMSO might somehow give a false reading on the test kit?

Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you appreciate your input s always Carl
Just to update you have copper at 2.45 and Praziquantel in 4 th day, I have lost all my butterflies (6), 1 gem tang , 1 extra extra large orange shoulder tang, rabbit fish and a extra large broom tail wrasse. Hope it stops. In 20th day of copper >

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update you have copper at 2.45 and Praziquantel in 4 th day, I have lost all my butterflies (6), 1 gem tang , 1 extra extra large orange shoulder tang, rabbit fish and a extra large broom tail wrasse. Hope it stops. In 20th day of copper >

Sorry to hear....I suspect that the DMSO is the culprit here. I don not know the chemistry, but what if the DMSO affected the copper/amine bond and released ionic copper? That would account for the rise in the copper test.

I've only used DMSO one time, 20 years ago. We had a seadragon with internal Uronema. We used DMSO to transport formalin into the fish's tissues. The seadragon acted in agony after we did that, and I think it died a short time later. After that, I just decided to avoid using DMSO since it is an "unknown".

Can you post a video of the remaining fish?

Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear....I suspect that the DMSO is the culprit here. I don not know the chemistry, but what if the DMSO affected the copper/amine bond and released ionic copper? That would account for the rise in the copper test.

I've only used DMSO one time, 20 years ago. We had a seadragon with internal Uronema. We used DMSO to transport formalin into the fish's tissues. The seadragon acted in agony after we did that, and I think it died a short time later. After that, I just decided to avoid using DMSO since it is an "unknown".

Can you post a video of the remaining fish?

Jay
are you using Voka for the praziquantel here is the video I just took, thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_1021.MOV
    32.5 MB

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.2%
Back