Any idea what it is and treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using Voka for the praziquantel here is the video I just took, thanks for your time.
No, I’ve lost fish using ethanol as a solvent for prazi, bacteria grows to eat the ethanol and that strips the oxygen out and can kill some fish, even with good aeration. Any solvent used to dissolve prazi only works until you add the solution to the tank - then the prazi precipitates out. Last Wednesday, I mentioned the brine shrimp net - that is how I dose prazi. I express it through the very fine mesh into the water. Years ago, I would use old panty hose but people don’t wear those very much anymore.
You put some prazi in the brine net, add some tank water and rub the net in the tank (wearing gloves).
Looking at you video - not much to see except IMO, the tank is VERY crowded, even after your losses…I would look at trying to lower the fish density.
Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I’ve lost fish using ethanol as a solvent for prazi, bacteria grows to eat the ethanol and that strips the oxygen out and can kill some fish, even with good aeration. Any solvent used to dissolve prazi only works until you add the solution to the tank - then the prazi precipitates out. Last Wednesday, I mentioned the brine shrimp net - that is how I dose prazi. I express it through the very fine mesh into the water. Years ago, I would use old panty hose but people don’t wear those very much anymore.
You put some prazi in the brine net, add some tank water and rub the net in the tank (wearing gloves).
Looking at you video - not much to see except IMO, the tank is VERY crowded, even after your losses…I would look at trying to lower the fish density.
Jay
Did my second dose of praziquantel Wednesday when can I start drawing it out and water change , Carl

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my second dose of praziquantel Wednesday when can I start drawing it out and water change , Carl

Prazi decomposes pretty rapidly, the reason to do water changes afterwards is just to remove nutrients left over from that decomposition, and the decomposition of the solvent. So - a water change 72 hours after the last dose is fine.

Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi decomposes pretty rapidly, the reason to do water changes afterwards is just to remove nutrients left over from that decomposition, and the decomposition of the solvent. So - a water change 72 hours after the last dose is fine.

Jay
Give me your view on this problem since I have 30 day copper many a times in the past would you leave it in a little longer since the parasite is somewhat resilient to the medication in the past. I did switch to Copper-Safe and found it to hold the strength better than copper power with very little fluctuation day in and day out.
Carl Thanks

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me your view on this problem since I have 30 day copper many a times in the past would you leave it in a little longer since the parasite is somewhat resilient to the medication in the past. I did switch to Copper-Safe and found it to hold the strength better than copper power with very little fluctuation day in and day out.
Carl Thanks
Also can I put UV on again now? without a water change on Praziquantel (second dose)?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also can I put UV on again now? without a water change on Praziquantel (second dose)?
Yes, you can turn the UV back on now.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carl Thanks
I’ve run coppersafe on fish for as long as four months with no apparent issues, but really, if it doesn’t work in 30 days, then longer won’t help the issueJay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back