Any Thoughts On The Klir Filter?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yep $9.99 before CoralVue got their hands into it!

Hopefully some "aftermarket" rolls become available soon as it has been the case with felt socks. You can buy 7" socks cheap by the dozen off A-Zon.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on Klir as far as a gen 2 or the 7”
Black Friday deals?

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my roll got stuck again not spinning. it looked like the fleece got snagged on something and tore and then jammed up the rollers. Had to unroll another smelly sock roll. I'm amazed how well this thing grabs stuff out of the water, but not happy with the level of babysitting required so far.

revnull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my roll got stuck again not spinning. it looked like the fleece got snagged on something and tore and then jammed up the rollers. Had to unroll another smelly sock roll. I'm amazed how well this thing grabs stuff out of the water, but not happy with the level of babysitting required so far.
Reach out to Coralvue support. I had the same problem and they are sending me a replacement lower assembly. They said some of the very first units had a problem with snagging fleece. This was fixed later.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came with 3 adapter plates. Whats the one with flat top and bottom for, what sump?? Trigger maybe??

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I emailed them with that info. Considering it wasn't the first time it got hung up like that I hope they can resolve. :)

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real problems that I have in the past 2 months is that the fleece roll will get snagged on the not so polished acrylic frame and prevent the motor from turning. Has happened twice and I just take it off line and advance the fleece by pulling until it frees, annoying but not major.
What I don't like is that there is no audible warning other then your sock tray overflowing. The controller does not show error either unless you cut the power and re-power, then it the blue LED will blink.
I'll try to sand the frame where the fleece touches on the next changeout but I think the controller will be the weak link in the future.

Yes. I been using the filter since September. I agree the fleece roll get snagged on the acrylic frame toward the bottom causing the motor not to turn. I believe this caused my motor to burn when I was on vacation and no longers run. I hope they find a solution on the fix.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I been using the filter since September. I agree the fleece roll get snagged on the acrylic frame toward the bottom causing the motor not to turn. I believe this caused my motor to burn when I was on vacation and no longers run. I hope they find a solution on the fix.

Open a ticket with Coralvue, they will warranty any parts including the motor.
I did so a few days ago and they are sending me a new bottom frame because I complained that the fleece snagging is unacceptable.

Sharis100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work on the v3 red sea sumps?

You can put it on a timer and it will work in the V3 sump. However, until Coralvue Klir make their own much shorter timer switch on motor, the 1 min rolls too much floss at a time except for use on vacation. You can also make a barrier adaptor with acrylic or 3D printing etc. But the filter sock holder in the V3 rides so high that there is a real danger of flooding to reach the 1.5 inch threshold Klir requires. If you have a larger V3 reefer you can use their drop in gadget but you could also look at xfilter from England and the clarisea etc....
Currently, I use in V3 with minimal changes with notching out the filter sock holder to accommodate bottom of Klir. Dremmel sander makes short work of this. Then figure out a power timer- I am only running it for as short as time as possible by flipping power on and off on timer and dropping optical sensor in water- I run every 6 hours for my tank as mine is not that heavy of a bio load.

I think Klir and Coralvue has a great idea about the optical sensor but not having a power timer feature for pushing the motor was definitely limiting the use of this product for dumps that are not to their exact specs. And with the gazillion Red Sea configurations in the sump, the chances of a universal adaptor working in all cases is not encouraging. Plus i would rather program a timer and control when I want the floss to advance rather then rely on a flooding factor :(. Hopefully Coralvue Klir will rethink this and offer this as a solution in the near future as that way everyone could use this product who currently runs filter socks- much broader market :).

Sorry to blather I’m so long.... I’m just frustrated about the lack of motor timer.

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open a ticket with Coralvue, they will warranty any parts including the motor.
I did so a few days ago and they are sending me a new bottom frame because I complained that the fleece snagging is unacceptable.
They are amazing Coralvue They overnight me a new motor and controller Now it is working. I am checking the bottom and see if it stuck again.

Can you take a photo on your new bottom and see if the redesign or replacement no longer snag? I haven't complain about the bottom yet.

Lastly it seems like replacement roll are everywhere out of stock... hopefully they will be in stock soon. I am still on my first roll since I start using the unit in Mid September.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bad news it looks like it's snagged again, but it's still rolling for now. Good news is I got my replacement bottom. Good news is the screw seems a proper tension and a stronger plastic, which resolves one of the concerns I had. I'm not sure what's changed here, maybe it will be more evident when I compare them side by side. I'll try and take pictures if I can figure out what's new.

I'm not looking forward to unwinding that spool again.. but at the same time, I'm also at 20 days now on this roll..

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading reviews on this unit and on every site they're pretty bad. Even with replacement parts provided. Some people say that it lets more debris through than a standard sock.

The thing is, once people try to install it in their sump, you can no longer return it, according to reviews on BRS's site. You need to get it wet to see if it fits, but then you're stuck once it's wet.

Seems like it has a lot in common with the first rollout of the gyre.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I notice a lot clearer tank water and it sure is getting gunk out just by looking at the rolls. Compare to 0 sock before cause I had to take it out and wash every 2 -3 days this been a very decent purchase. So far I'm going on 3 weeks on the new rolls it did snag once but I just got my new bottomed in from them and will install shortly.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back