Anyone ever use cheaper alternatives for RODI components?

Baby Damsel 219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and you initially thought it was a joke....

This is not why your duncan died, they're perfectly happy surviving on light alone, they're mainly a photosynthetic creature (as are most coral). The occasional zooplankton and phytoplankton broadcast can be beneficial, but not required for survival...
my cbs also pinched and ripped off polyps. Also, the the wave maker was too close.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my cbs also pinched and ripped off polyps. Also, the the wave maker was too close.
That's different from "The CBS was stealing its food" and *could* be the cause, but honestly... LA's tap water is full of stuff I wouldn't ever want to have in my tanks... you can continue doing what you're doing, but at some point, if you have a problem, and everything else has been exhausted, you're probably going to have to remember that you've got contaminants in your system that are not present in 99.999% of reefs out there because the use of RO/DI water, and at the very least distilled water (typically only in rare emergency cases), are the norm within the hobby... I would urge you to take a look at the tables of your water quality provided by your government, the addition of copper over time alone would be enough to make me say, nope...:

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use tap water

6462188f783c534f81ea06ae5e0e0ab2.jpg
That’s really helpful input for people who don’t have pristine water like you

Baby Damsel 219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's different from "The CBS was stealing its food" and *could* be the cause, but honestly... LA's tap water is full of stuff I wouldn't ever want to have in my tanks... you can continue doing what you're doing, but at some point, if you have a problem, and everything else has been exhausted, you're probably going to have to remember that you've got contaminants in your system that are not present in 99.999% of reefs out there because the use of RO/DI water, and at the very least distilled water (typically only in rare emergency cases), are the norm within the hobby... I would urge you to take a look at the tables of your water quality provided by your government, the addition of copper over time alone would be enough to make me say, nope...:

I have tested the water from the sink and it is super close to to water parameters.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested the water from the sink and it is super close to to water parameters.
You have tested Nitrate, Phosphate, Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, Calcium, Magnesium, and Alkalinity, right? Those are the parameters we monitor AFTER knowing the source of our water, which is typically RO/DI water + Salt Mix = Water Composition.

You did not check for chlorine, chloramine, fluoride, iron, copper, boron, uranium, and the 50 or so other chemicals that your city deems acceptable for drinking water/use to treat tap water and what those levels are... Otherwise, you'd have probably thought twice about it... I gave a link in my last reply that has a PDF, about 7-10 pages in on that PDF you start to see tables, find where your water comes from in LA, look at the columns for your tables, and then tell me if you want those things in your reef... Especially copper. As you continually put it into your system, and it has no way to get out of it, the level of copper always rises, and copper kills invertebrates...

Don't take my word for it though... just watch your tank as you age into this hobby...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FYI... The vast majority of L.A. county isn't under LADWP's jurisdiction. That link covers the City of Los Angeles only.

Still doesn't exist the guy using someone else's photos, but ya know....
You have tested Nitrate, Phosphate, Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, Calcium, Magnesium, and Alkalinity, right? Those are the parameters we monitor AFTER knowing the source of our water, which is typically RO/DI water + Salt Mix = Water Composition.

You did not check for chlorine, chloramine, fluoride, iron, copper, boron, uranium, and the 50 or so other chemicals that your city deems acceptable for drinking water/use to treat tap water and what those levels are... Otherwise, you'd have probably thought twice about it... I gave a link in my last reply that has a PDF, about 7-10 pages in on that PDF you start to see tables, find where your water comes from in LA, look at the columns for your tables, and then tell me if you want those things in your reef... Especially copper. As you continually put it into your system, and it has no way to get out of it, the level of copper always rises, and copper kills invertebrates...

Don't take my word for it though... just watch your tank as you age into this hobby...
Your working too hard trying to rationalize this with the guy that just digs a hole deeper and deeper. Your energy is much better spent not wasting it on this thread.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI... The vast majority of L.A. county isn't under LADWP's jurisdiction. That link covers the City of Los Angeles only.

Still doesn't exist the guy using someone else's photos, but ya know....

Your working too hard trying to rationalize this with the guy that just digs a hole deeper and deeper. Your energy is much better spent not wasting it on this thread.
I understand the difference between LA County and LADWP's jurisdiction (I was born and raised in Azusa). But since their Location only says "Los Angeles" I had to pick what I considered to be most relevant, and hopefully, even if they aren't in LA Proper, the tables get them thinking about what is actually in their water, and go in search of the correct information. I can only hope...

And yes, the rationale behind posting a pristine reef after saying "I use tap water" when his reef looks like my lawn after I've been on vacation a month is astounding... It was totally a fraudulent move... by further engaging him here, I am mostly just keeping myself entertained... I've been stuck in the house sick all weekend... Plus, maybe I will have done some good in the world.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this thread. I am a hardway learner sometimes. My tank sits full of tap water. That will be changed starting friday. That ro buddy system is calling to me.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this thread. I am a hardway learner sometimes. My tank sits full of tap water. That will be changed starting friday. That ro buddy system is calling to me.
It is a pretty easy system, just make sure you pick up the plus DI version and pay attention to the color of the resin chamber, when it gets about 3/4 maroon/brown is when I order a new one. It comes with most of the standard plumbing fittings you will need, I can't recall if it comes with a drain saddle or not though, so you may want to double check and pick one up if it doesn't.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I was wondering has anyone ever gone the cheaper route with RODI membranes/carbon blocks/sediment filters?

I need to replace my RODI filters and membrane, if I order from BRS I would get membrane and 2 carbon blocks for over $100
While I can order from Amazon a pack of 4 carbon blocks and a 150GPD membrane for around 50.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20240413-132032.png Screenshot_20240413-131945.png Screenshot_20240413-131728.png
If you're worried about membrane quality buy one made in U.S. like Dow. But, I've used cheaper, chinese ones with no problems at all, for 20 years. I have 3 RODI units currently in use and all have worked just fine regardless of where I bought the membranes or how much I've paid.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back