Anyone have Aquactinics T5?

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at getting a t5 fixture for my new nano I'm doing. The tek light in a 2 foot fixture only has 4 bulbs. The aquactinics has 5, which i'd rather have. Anyone on here have any of aquactinics products? Are they just as good as the tek lights? I currently have a 6 bulb tek light on my 65 and have been pleased.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not own a aquatinics but they are a high quality fixture. I wish I had one over my teks. I think the tek looks better though but they are the same build quality. The aquatinics has fans that cool the unit allowing for it to produce more light out put and the blulbs last longer. The aquatinics use the workhorse ballast though which is a slightly lower quality ballast.

The extra lamp gives a little more flexibility and also covers slightly more of your tank if it is wider. As far as extra par from the fifth lamp for a nano it is not needed unless the tank is wide.

Go with the aqautinics till tek puts fans in their units.

Dave

OP
OP
Pitcom

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i only wanted the extra bulb for the extra par. I have 6 39w on my 65g so i wanted to try to get half that amount for my 24 nano.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my Tek 24" comes in next week i'll let you know how i like it. It looks like a nice unit cuz it's sleek. I'm putting it over my 20 gal but i'll be hanging out.

Hopkins

Team Awesome
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 24" Tx5. I love the fixture, its great on my 45 gallon. I do have to sell it in the next month or so after I upgrade. I can keep you in the loop when I do, if you wanted.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fixtures are top notch! I've got a 36" model and I really like the sturdiness of the fixture. The powder coated exterior is really simple to clean.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use the Aquactinics 4' fixture over our frag tanks at all the shows.
The PAR reading taken at the BNARC swap meet was 582 at the bottom of a 18" tank. That's pretty darn good PAR!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We use the Aquactinics 4' fixture over our frag tanks at all the shows.
The PAR reading taken at the BNARC swap meet was 582 at the bottom of a 18" tank. That's pretty darn good PAR!

That is dang good...

Is that the solarflare or what model?

Dave

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishman has the fixtures we use, I think there is 7 bulbs with independant reflectors and I believe they are run by IceCap ballast.

What I do know is they rock! The colors are amazing under them!

Brent Thomann

reef2reef rules!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually in the process of ordering a Aquactinics 24" Tx5. I read a lot of great reviews.

What bulb combo do you think I should go with, mainly ultra acans and nice palys under it, trying to get the colors to pop more. more blue color maybe? Never owned T5 lighting?

I currently have a 150watt HQI Aquamedic hanging on that side of frag tank. I think is too bright for my acans, washing them out a bit and losing my oranges, etc. Hope you don't mind be jumping in on your thread.

Thanks,
Brent

OP
OP
Pitcom

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually in the process of ordering a Aquactinics 24" Tx5. I read a lot of great reviews.

What bulb combo do you think I should go with, mainly ultra acans and nice palys under it, trying to get the colors to pop more. more blue color maybe? Never owned T5 lighting?

I currently have a 150watt HQI Aquamedic hanging on that side of frag tank. I think is too bright for my acans, washing them out a bit and losing my oranges, etc. Hope you don't mind be jumping in on your thread.

Thanks,
Brent

I plan on using the same bulbs in my main tank. Geisaman actinic +, pure actinic, fiji purples and a Korallen coral light

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brent, what tank size/dimensions will you be putting the Aquactinics over?

Brent Thomann

reef2reef rules!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brent, what tank size/dimensions will you be putting the Aquactinics over?

My frag tank is a 75 gal (48 x 18 x 20)
Right now I have a 250w hqi over one half and a 150w hqi over the other half. I'd like to replace the 150 MH with the 24" Aquactinics Tx5.

you can find pics of my tank
HERE

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Tank looks great!
I can't believe you posted pics of a frag tank and you haven't been deemed commercial yet or Banned at RC.
The T5 set-up will rock. You will love the colors!

Brent Thomann

reef2reef rules!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Tank looks great!
I can't believe you posted pics of a frag tank and you haven't been deemed commercial yet or Banned at RC.
The T5 set-up will rock. You will love the colors!

thanks for the compliment,
they deem people as commercial for having a frag tank, come on, they can be ***** over there!

Pitcom suggested- Geisaman actinic +, pure actinic, fiji purples and a Korallen coral light

what order would you suggest, maybe this?
Geisaman actinic
fiji purple
Korallen coral light
fiji purple
pure actinic

T5 is all new to me. again would like my acans/palys to pop with ok PAR.

thanks for your help, guys

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh yeah, anymore info on it? model etc. so I can research. do you know why its better?

Reefgeek sells them. They have silver coated reflectors with fans for cooling.. There was a thread in rc about them a while back and I believe grim did some test son them.They are huge in Europe and recently just started being imported to the N.A so there is not alot of info on them yet... they had to be redisgned for our voltage. They are sweet looking and I guess put out even better par than the aquactinics solar flare. The solar flare is aquatinics fixture with icecaps and overdrives the lamps.

I am actually considering selling my tek to try one out. I just bought a new tek too.

http://www.reefgeek.com/manufacturer/ATI/

The other advatage is you can get a wider fixture with more lamps that would actually be better for a 75 gallon... most two foot fixtures are designed for smaller tanks like 20 gallon high or 15 gallon long.

Here is a site with alot of pics.
http://www.reef-mania.com/archive/200702?TSSESSION=23bb238b74bac1d92603cdd03598b3a4
Man the sockets look awsum.

Here is a rendering.

62963831463627bf75f820d4ac93fee3.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pitcom

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the compliment,
they deem people as commercial for having a frag tank, come on, they can be ***** over there!

Pitcom suggested- Geisaman actinic +, pure actinic, fiji purples and a Korallen coral light

what order would you suggest, maybe this?
Geisaman actinic
fiji purple
Korallen coral light
fiji purple
pure actinic

T5 is all new to me. again would like my acans/palys to pop with ok PAR.

thanks for your help, guys

Hey there, in my 6 bulb t5 i run as follows;

Geisemann Actinic +
Fiji Purple
Korallen Coral Light
Geisemann Actinic +
Fiji Purple
Geisemann Pure Actinic

I'm probably going to keep it very similar on a 5 bulb set up. But i will probably only use 1 fiji purple I'm not sure yet. Lighting configurations cause brain aneurysms.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back