Anyone know what these are?

ecoffey298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what these are? We set this tank up about 2 weeks ago for a quarantine tank and these popped up a few days ago. Any ideas?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see videos fine on here, using my mobile phone
Try anything else besides chrome or Chromium based browsers.

There’s likely a wrong mime type set for videos, which any browser that follows the official standard wouldn’t play, google does not follow standards (which is a security issue by itself), and they simply ignore and play it regardless.

This leaves iPhones and iPads users with no option at all to view videos here, as all 3rd party browsers (including Chrome) must use Apple’s web engine.

@revhtree maybe it’s time to fix this bug and relief all of us? It really shouldn’t be that difficult.

Upvote 0

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good find, these appear to be mysid shrimp as twentyleagues stated. You can see the slight tail appendages. These arent true shrimp but great as food source for fish and corals live or frozen.

Upvote 0

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try anything else besides chrome or Chromium based browsers.

There’s likely a wrong mime type set for videos, which any browser that follows the official standard wouldn’t play, google does not follow standards (which is a security issue by itself), and they simply ignore and play it regardless.

This leaves iPhones and iPads users with no option at all to view videos here, as all 3rd party browsers (including Chrome) must use Apple’s web engine.

@revhtree maybe it’s time to fix this bug and relief all of us? It really shouldn’t be that difficult.
the best fix is stop using apple products, they are not good at all and worthless paperweights . I don't use google or Chrome either.

Upvote 0

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best fix is stop using apple products, they are not good at all and worthless paperweights . I don't use google or Chrome either.
The best fix for algae is to nuke the system, sell the equipment, quit the hobby and blame your LFS for not fixing it for you.
Same analogy.

The bug is in R2R and unrelated to Apple, which conforms to the globally accepted standards, and in fact developed the whole subsystem Chrome is based on.

You’re not using google or Chrome? What are you using then? Because it is either based on Chromium (which is based on Apple’s WebKit), or it is based straight on WebKit (which again.. developed by “the worthless paperweight, not good” Apple).

If don’t have something smart to say, better stay quiet.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best fix for algae is to nuke the system, sell the equipment, quit the hobby and blame your LFS for not fixing it for you.
Same analogy.

The bug is in R2R and unrelated to Apple, which conforms to the globally accepted standards, and in fact developed the whole subsystem Chrome is based on.

You’re not using google or Chrome? What are you using then? Because it is either based on Chromium (which is based on Apple’s WebKit), or it is based straight on WebKit (which again.. developed by “the worthless paperweight, not good” Apple).

If don’t have something smart to say, better stay quiet.

Someone is not happy about an apple dig lol. I took his comment more as a joke than anything.

Upvote 0

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone is not happy about an apple dig lol. I took his comment more as a joke than anything.
Nah this wasn’t a joke.
It’s a typical behavior from Windows/Android/Linux users, that “think” they are technologically advanced, but don’t know a thing about operating systems, system design and standards, yet they are very opinionated about what others dim to be better than what they’re using.

There are many companies I don’t like, but I’d never come to someone owning a product and start saying bad things about.
It’s basic manners, but in this case it’s also bluntly wrong.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah this wasn’t a joke.
It’s a typical behavior from Windows/Android/Linux users, that “think” they are technologically advanced, but don’t know a thing about operating systems, system design and standards, yet they are very opinionated about what others dim to be better than what they’re using.

There are many companies I don’t like, but I’d never come to someone owning a product and start saying bad things about.
It’s basic manners, but in this case it’s also bluntly wrong.

To me its funny when people make comments like his on here because its so not relevant to reefing

Upvote 0

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me its funny when people make comments like his on here because its so not relevant to reefing
Edit: Sorry, I thought this was Sleeping Giant's reply.
For me this just irritates me, it's literally the last thing anyone is interested to read as a reply.
Many others complained about this issue before, but it doesn't seem like the management here does anything about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: Sorry, I thought this was Sleeping Giant's reply.
For me this just irritates me, it's literally the last thing anyone is interested to read as a reply.
Many others complained about this issue before, but it doesn't seem like the management here does anything about it.
Its got to get reported for them to know it happened. I've seen reported posts removed and I am guessing that the offender was at least notified of such and for what reason. I am sure depending on the "insult" there is some sort of "point system" like 3 strikes and you are out, but Idk for sure.

I get the same stuff from my apple user friends toward my android use. At least you have some tech knowledge it seems, they do not.

Upvote 0

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its got to get reported for them to know it happened. I've seen reported posts removed and I am guessing that the offender was at least notified of such and for what reason. I am sure depending on the "insult" there is some sort of "point system" like 3 strikes and you are out, but Idk for sure.
My last comment was about the the bug with the video not playing on all browsers, now about the unnecessary comment.

While his comment is indeed irrelevant and was made with the purpose to laugh on others, I don't think its worth reporting.

I get the same stuff from my apple user friends toward my android use. At least you have some tech knowledge it seems, they do not.
I make my living from reverse engineering and conducting security research on Apple products, so I do know a thing or two about both iOS and macOS, and I have friends that do the same on Android, Windows and Linux.
Somehow, at this level you don't see this nitpicking behavior of "who's the best", but I guess it comes from the fact that we do actually able to know the differences between the two and appreciate the strengths of each OS.
And yet, we all still have our own preferences for our daily use, not always conforming to the OS we work on.

@revhtree I believe the issue stems from the way the video is delivered in combination with the use of clouadflare, see the link below:

Upvote 0

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighten Up Why So Serious GIF by Tokyo Cowboys

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back