Anyone use a big canister filter to remove crud or vacuum the water? (only on tank cleaning day)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was tank cleaning day. I go in with a tooth brush and clean out any spots that are a bit fuzzy. I also take a power head and blow out all the rock of junk. As you can imagine this puts allot of junk in the water column. I let it settle a little then do my water change sucking up as much as I can. But no matter what I do I still can't get as much junk out as I would like.

So I was thinking about using a large canister filter to help remove the stuff floating free in the water while power head blowing and even during vacuuming. Or for that matter using the Canister filter as a vacuum.
Any thoughts?

The tank is a Red Sea 625 (130g) and a bare bottom. Has been up and running for near 7 Months. My turn over is 3000lph.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a canister works fine as a vacuum. I have done it on previous ya J’s for years. A few years ago Marine Depot released a video on uses of a canister and a vacuum was one.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a magnum canister filter with a reusable paper cartridge a couple of times a year on my main tank, and every couple of months in my frag tank. The water is sparkling after running it for a couple of hours. Just be sure to rinse the cartridge immediately and soak it overnight in water with some bleach. Works great.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it with an old eheim and it works but this is easier for me.
I have an area on my bare bottom that collects detrius.
Once a month or more I use a 1/2" pvc pipe and flex tubing and suck up all the detrius into my filter sock.
I blow off my rocks once or twice a week and it settles out in that one area.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running your gravel vac into your filter sock is probably just as effective and seems like far less work than setting up (and then cleaning) a canister filter. I do that all the time. There's no way I'd set up a canister filter for a day. I'm lazy.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back