Is snowflake eel reef&fish safe?

omerseymen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys i am planning to get one snowflake eel for my 250 liter tank.
I have 2 clowns, fire shrimp, conches, snails, starfishes and one blue tang. + LPS corals mostly.
Is it okay for my pets to live with a snowflake eel? Is it safe

IMG_3364.jpeg

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflake morays are reef safe and will not bother corals, though these eels are messy eaters and will require strong filtration and a relatively large protein skimmer for the long-term health of any corals housed in their aquarium. The moray eel will likely consume very small fish such as damselfish. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.thesprucepets.com/snowflake-eel-profile-2920906#:~:text=Snowflake%20morays%20are%20reef%20safe,small%20fish%20such%20as%20damselfish.&ved=2ahUKEwjoytiu5JmGAxWchIkEHRJeCZcQFnoECA4QAw&usg=AOvVaw3fGS28j4tshvEIRFcyN5P6
General pet sites are not reliably good references, even if some of the articles on some of them are mostly correct.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General pet sites are not reliably good references, even if some of the articles on some of them are mostly correct.
Unfortunately true (learned that the hard way myself when I was new to R2R) - a lot of sites about these animals (including several that should be reliable for our hobby) have some blatantly inaccurate information (be it obtained firsthand or otherwise), some of which may just be made up, misremembered, or parroted misinformation.

This is why I try to stick pretty exclusively to scholarly resources these days (and even those sometimes have inaccuracies, though they tend to have far less than other sources).

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not safe for your reef inhabitants, you'd be lucky if the shrimps even last the night (my tiger pistol shrimp didn't).

Shrimp and other crustaceans are the preferred prey for snowflakes, as their teeth are specialized for such prey, but as they are opportunists they will also take fish they view as small enough to make an easy meal out of.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snowflake eel is very fish safe. She doesnt bother them at all and is very docile. However a 66 gallon tank is too small for them. They dont swim much but when they do they need room to fully stretch out as adult size for them is 2 feet.

Back